The seller now wants more money

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks Adrian, that makes me feel a whole lot better. I will inform her that I have no intention of giving her any more money nor will I be returning the bike, then it's up to her if she wants to attempt to claim it had been stolen? Thanks mate :beer:

Just make sure your son has enough money for the bus home if they do report it stolen.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Only if you ignore the fact it's borderline scrap.

It's a 6-11yo bike. Value is a very wide spread, based on condition. This sounds like a shed that might, with a lot of time and parts, be worth the good condition value.

Sounds like it went through the mot with only a new battery and air in the tyres. Hardly borderline scrap.

If you believe the disabled son rides a 1200 bandit then best of luck to you.
  • Actually, I was thinking of copying and pasting all of the answers I have got and explaining to her that she will need to pursue the matter through the court? what do you think?
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Actually, I was thinking of copying and pasting all of the answers I have got and explaining to her that she will need to pursue the matter through the court? what do you think?

I think if the grandaughter phones the local police and reports it stolen, some civilian with no legal training may record the crime to be investigated. The bike will go on the PNC as stolen and the rider may get stopped, arrested and the bike seized.
  • Hopefully, if the matter is explained in full, the police will either tell her that as the bike has not actually been "stolen" or they will come to the registered keepers house ( me ) to investigate it. I really don't think any crime has been committed? I think she is just hoping i will give her more money? Anyway, we will see! Thanks for the comment :)
  • No, unfortunately, he had a stoke while he was at work and not riding the bike, it's very sad. and yes, it did, but the tyres did need replacing because of flat spots in the rubber, they never noticed at the MOT center, and there is a fair bit of cosmetic damage too. Actually, it had been written off once and the guy bought it back and got it back on the road, but he never replaced the tank or fairing, they are still broken.:(
  • He gave me back my CBR1000f when he got the bandit, so worst ways he'll be back on the CBR ( but I seriously doubt that she will report her Nan for selling her Dad's bike do you?
  • Thank you all so much for your support, it has been really helpful. Anyway, I sent her this message and we will see what she does. Hi Donna, I have had a busy day looking into our dilemma and deciding what to do about your threat of going to the police to report the bike as stolen. My poor son has been worried sick and was afraid to go out on the bike until I had looked into it. I have now had legal advise (including a little from the police crime watch officer at Marks gate), that suggests that if what you say is true, and that your Nan knowingly sold your dad's property without the family consent and permission, (as both your Nan and Granddad clearly stated they had when I bought the bike), then the only person that has actually committed a "crime" that could be reported to the police, is, unfortunately, your poor 87 year old Nan? (apparently the log book signing doesn't matter as it just changes the keeper details and writing and signing on behalf of someone else isn't classed as "a crime") and we all know that the bike was not "stolen". Anyway, here are just a few of the many comments and responses I got when I asked for advice on the net. (attached) So, after much consideration, unfortunately, my position now is that until I hear from your legal representatives, I am just going to continue helping my son restore and repair his new bike. I would appreciate it if you would kindly refrain from contacting me yourself from now on, and leave it in the hands of our legal teams to sort it out. Bye for now, Yours regretfully, Eddy.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Arklight wrote: »
    The V5C has nothing to do with ownership, although it does rather underscore the risks of buying a vehicle from someone who isn't the registered keeper.

If you already have a record of her saying that her mother sold it to you (albeit she's disputing that she was allowed to) I don't think they are going to come after you for theft. Most people don't write / text / email / phone motorbike thieves.

IMO they'd be more likely to go after the gran than the OP for theft - as she's the one who allegedly was dishonest in their appropriation of someone elses property.

If you believe the disabled son rides a 1200 bandit then best of luck to you.

OP said the womans son (who she was selling the bike on behalf of) was disabled, not the OP's son.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If the granddaughter does report you to the Police it is likely that she will be incriminating granny more than you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure