BT price increases September 2018

Comments

• Vegastare
    Vegastare Posts: 998 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Sky sent this -

Is your broadband price going up? As a valued Sky TV customer, you could save over £450* when you switch from BT Superfast Fibre Unlimited to superfast Sky Fibre Unlimited.

£25 a month for 18 months (one-off £9.95 router delivery charge applies) • Line rental includedNo activation fee - exclusive to Sky TV customers
    Switch today and avoid any early termination charges if you are within your 30-day notification period from BT.

Of course the phone price will be extra.............does anyone know if you have to have a new phone number
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    <Switch today and avoid any early termination charges if you are within your 30-day notification period from BT.>

Do that and BT will charge the remaining months of your contract .
    You need to cancel with BT due to price increase first .

I don't see the amount to be saved as a genuine figure . BT price increase of £2.50 pm does not add up to £450 .
  • ccdorset
    ccdorset Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi,

I've just phoned BT as I'm currently paying £31.99 per month for Superfast Fibre 1 Unlimited and Line Rental. So mine will be going up to £34.49 per month with the price increase.

Just phoned the Customer Options Team on 0800 800 030 and was initially told all they could do would be to offer to renew on an 18 month contract at £31.99.

I asked if that was really the best they could do, as Now TV are offering £20 per month and Vodafone £21.

BT then said the best they could do was £27.99 a month on an 18 month contract.

Appreciate BT is slightly faster, as I am getting about 50 Mbps, whereas NOW/Vodafone would be up to 38 Mpbs, but a £7.99 difference per month is a lot and can see others have been offered better deals on here. Though I have only been with BT since October last year, so perhaps that has something to do with it.

Don't really want to switch from BT and am wondering whether to try them again tomorrow. I got through to the Truro contact centre and I thought the Customer Options Team were based in Newcastle, though I might be wrong on that.
  • johnbhoy10
    johnbhoy10 Posts: 452 Forumite
    I was told by the guy i spoke to yesterday just to say 'loyalty' and you ''should'' get straight through to the guys who can do the deals.....i've not tried it yet so can't vouch but with my Scottish accent i could end up with a whole world of hurt!!
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 July 2018 at 4:11PM
    Just keep redialling until you get a Glaswegian .But they are tight as a da and i find Tynesiders more likely to give a deal .

I usually phone and say i want to cancel all services due to price increase .
    Knowing competitors prices before phoning .
    They offer a deal i say no and i say i reserve the right to terminate my contract within the next 30 days .
    Week or two later i get an email we have a better deal and so far it has been less than the current year .
    Have to bluff a bit as i want BT Sport and moving ISP is a lot more expensive .
  • johnbhoy10
    johnbhoy10 Posts: 452 Forumite
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Just keep redialling until you get a Glaswegian .But they are tight as a da and i find Tynesiders more likely to give a deal .

I usually phone and say i want to cancel all services due to price increase .
    Knowing competitors prices before phoning .
    They offer a deal i say no and i say i reserve the right to terminate my contract within the next 30 days .
    Week or two later i get an email we have a better deal and so far it has been less than the current year .
    Have to bluff a bit as i want BT Sport and moving ISP is a lot more expensive .

Funnily enough it was a guy from North Lanarkshire working in their loyalty team in Doncaster that gave me my offer. I know you shouldn't accept first offer but £39 for everything i've got which will be £51 in September is decent. Full price for this is about £70.

I tried to squeeze a hub 6 (smart hub??) but he wouldn't budge on that. I do take the point about competitors prices because i quoted Sky with Quidco. If they rubbish cashback sites, which this guy didn't, i would just say it was the deal-maker when i joined BT!!:cool:
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ccdorset wrote: »
    Hi,

I've just phoned BT as I'm currently paying £31.99 per month for Superfast Fibre 1 Unlimited and Line Rental. So mine will be going up to £34.49 per month with the price increase.

Just phoned the Customer Options Team on 0800 800 030 and was initially told all they could do would be to offer to renew on an 18 month contract at £31.99.

I asked if that was really the best they could do, as Now TV are offering £20 per month and Vodafone £21.

Appreciate BT is slightly faster, as I am getting about 50 Mbps, whereas NOW/Vodafone would be up to 38 Mpbs, but a £7.99 difference per month is a lot and can see others have been offered better deals on here. Though I have only been with BT since October last year, so perhaps that has something to do with it.

Don't really want to switch from BT and am wondering whether to try them again tomorrow. I got through to the Truro contact centre and I thought the Customer Options Team were based in Newcastle, though I might be wrong on that.
    Another option is to sign up with another provider, BT will then be informed you are leaving, they will then know you are serious and offer a better deal. You can then cancel the new provider using the online/phone 14 day cancellation.
  • ccdorset
    ccdorset Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    boatman wrote: »
    Another option is to sign up with another provider, BT will then be informed you are leaving, they will then know you are serious and offer a better deal. You can then cancel the new provider using the online/phone 14 day cancellation.

I phoned BT again this afternoon and told them I was going to leave and move to Now TV. They then offered me my existing package for £23.99 per month on an 18 month contract (Superfast Fibre Unlimited 1 and Line Rental). I was happy with that, so accepted it.

They did try several times to get me to take their TV Starter Pack for £6 per month, even though I kept repeating that I have a Freeview Play recorder already and had no interest in BT Sport!
  • spyhunter
    spyhunter Posts: 250 Forumite
    ccdorset wrote: »
    Hi,

BT retention teams are based all over UK. If you place an order with another provider BT will see your serious about leaving and the offers will get better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure