IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

BW Legal - Armtrac Letter of Claim

Comments

• Bakerbl
    Bakerbl Posts: 15 Forumite
    edited 19 January 2019 at 10:59AM
    Update: I sent off (to BW Legal) a rebuttal citing PaP 2017, requesting documents as suggested above and also I sent a SAR to Armtrac. Today I received a reply from BW Legal with a wad of documents covering all previous correspondence and photographs of the vehicle and the DVLA reply to fee paying enquiry form that was sent to Armtrac with the keeper details (me). The letter is lengthy (I will upload next week a scanned copy) and was a point by point reply to me request for information

The information I requested (with a summary or full reply in italics is as follows and my comments afterwards):

1. An explanation of cause of action.

"Our Client's cause of action is that you breached the Terms and Conditions of the contract which you entered into by parking your vehicle in the car park, by parking without displaying a correct and valid Permit"

I can respond to this quite robustly as the signage was poor (non-existent on the side of the car park where the vehicle was parked). The vehicle was covered by a Permit which was in the car (their argument is that it was displayed/visible)

2. Whether they (the client) are pursuing me as driver or keeper.

....lengthy response where they acknowledge they are pursuing me as keeper and how the client can hold me, keeper, liable - they presume that the driver of the vehicle had "either actual or ostensible authority to enter into a contract with Our Client in relation to parking on your behalf. This is supported by the case Combined Parking Solutions Ltd v AJH Films Ltd [2015] EWCA 1453"

They then invite me to identify the driver and state "If you withhold this information, we reserve the right to draw the Court's attention (if County Court proceedings have been issued) to your conduct which may be perceived to be unreasonable in refusing to comply"

Given the poor signage I will argue the driver did not enter in to any contract.

3. whether they are relying on Schedule 4 of POFA 2012.

"Client does not intend to rely on Schedule 4 of POFA 2012"

4. Detail of the claim (precise details of where parked, how long, how monies being claimed arose/calculated, details of contractual breach).

Lengthy response regurgitating that vehicle was parked without display of permit and was observed between a 14 minute window (precise times supplied) early in a morning last spring. That the £100 charge is regarded as a charge for contravening the Terms and Conditions, that it is irrelevant whether or not the charge as displayed bears any relation to the cost of parking "even where there are no costs involved". They then state that the client relies on Parkingeye vs Beavis where these charges serve a legitimate commercial interest and that £100 is a reasonable sum. They then have a very lengthy response of how the sign (posted in the links above) allows them to recover the extra £60 cost

So as I understand the Parkingeye vs Beavis citation does not apply as this is a non-commercial residential property - yes? So while £100 may be reasonable for a pay and display or commercial centre this surely cannot be justified for a residential space?

5. To identify the name and address of the Landowner (This is something I am very keen to do).

"we are under no obligations to supply this information"

So I have contacted the owner where the driver stayed (holiday let in the apartment blocked). Owner has replied but has no useful information except he bough the property in 2015 and the car parking space came with the apartment but nothing mentioned in the leasehold agreement. He does not know who holds the contract with Amtrak nor how long the contract has been in place. He does not know who the "landowner" is (if not the owner) and only contact details are a property management company that looks after the common spaces. After some investigation I believe the property management company that looks after the common spaces is subcontracted by another management company that has Directors living in the apartment block. I have sent correspondence to the Secretary of the company AND the registered address of the company solely to identify the landowner, identify whether they have a contract in place with Armtrac and how long the parking charge scheme has been in place. I have had no reply from any of my letters. I believe this company has the contract and are purposefully not replying to my request. I am beginning to think that Armtrac might not have a contract with the legitimate landowner but not sure how to get the proof.

6. A copy of the contract with the landowner under which they assert authority to bring their claim.

"....contract is legally privileged document which you have no right to inspect. However, should this matter progress to court, the contract will be adduced as evidence".

7. A copy of any alleged contract with he driver.

lengthy response saying the PCN is for breach of contract and refer to the sign that is in the above link and the fact that the driver parked there the driver entered into a unilateral contract with their client..... "the act of parking your vehicle is acceptance"

Again, acceptance is down to signage so poor signage means no contract entered?

8. Plan showing locations of signs and where vehicle was.

"Our Client is under no obligation to supply this"

The property has two separate car parks with two separate entrances - I don't think they even know which car park the vehicle was in.

9. Details of the signs displayed INCLUDING the entrance sign (=blue sign saying permit holders)

They refer to the client being a member of the IPC and that the signs comply with IPC recommendations and therefore are deemed reasonable

They have sent a lot of photos of my vehicle from just about every angle - Can't see a sign in any of the shots.

10. Information on the additions of the charge, what the additions represent and how they have been calculated.

"£100 remains unpaid for the Parking Charge Notice. Additionally, you are also liable for our £60 instructions fee as your file has been passed to us."

This is the first time that they acknowledge the £60 fee is for BW Legal. Is this justified?

After the answers above there are two paragraphs on how the amount is still due and that i contact them in 14 days to avoid further collections activity and that I should seek legal advice if not willing to arrange affordable repayment plan.

I am thinking of replying robustly - signage is poor/non-existant so no contract entered. They got my details as keeper from DVLA and I have a letter from DVLA stating that a contract to run a Parking Charge Scheme was supplied (but DVLA would not forward this to me) with the request so I will state in my response again that I am entitled to have a copy of the contract given this contract gives the right to Armtrac to pursue me for a parking charge. Without a copy I cannot assess my liability as keeper.

Do I need to identify the driver at this stage?

Am I correct in thinking the Beavis reference is irrelevant?

Anything else I should include in my response?

So I now know the owner has a leasehold agreement (the owner has not sent me a copy) that does not mention a parking place. The owner merely says that when the apartment was purchased the understanding was the parking space came with it. The owner only had an address of a property firm that it seems just looks after mowing the lawns, cleaning common spaces etc.. I have not contacted this firm yet. I think a second management company (who may have the freehold of the property and several Directors are listed as living at the apartments) may be the ones who have the contract with Armtrac but have not replied to my correspondence. I would like to know if this "Management company" (which has the same name as the apartment block, hence i have not named it) is the "Landowner" (even if they really are not authorised to proceed with a parking charge scheme) and if the contract is with them. There must be a contract as DVLA states in a letter to me that they supplied one when Armtrac requested my keeper details.

Thanks for all your help so far. Any thoughts on my response most welcome.
  • Bakerbl
    I should also add the Owner is sympathetic but seems to know less than me about who owns the car park. I get the impression that the Owner rarely visits and only sub lets the property as a holiday let as the owner does not seem to know who has the freehold. The <building name> management company has had correspondence from me - all i wanted to do was for them to acknowledge that either they are the landowner or have the contract in place with Armtrac (I also outlined what tactics Armtrac and BW Legal have used on me over the past few months and how they should read about them on the internet). I have had no response. The letter was sent to both the registered address of the Management company AND the registered address of the company secretary. "No reply" makes me think the contract is with them and have probably been advised not to correspond with me.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,555 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Send the MA's Data Protection Officer a SAR and ask for copies of all emails/communications with any party, about you/your case, following your letter.
    Head it up:

SUBJECT ACCESS REQUEST UNDER THE GDPR.

Copy to the Company Secretary too, reminding him/her they have 30 days.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Bakerbl
    Thanks Coupon-Mad. I’ll do this. The MAs responsibility in this is not clear but I’ll hopefully find out. They are listed in Companies house as a P.O. Box in Truro and the Secretary is elsewhere in England and the Directors are mostly based at the apartment block. However the Land Registry has the freehold bought in 2008 by the same company BUT registered at an address a few streets away in Newquay. This same address is the home of right2manageuk.com (Right 2 Manage UK Ltd) a larger firm with offices in various places. I don’t know which company actually has the freehold and engaged Armtrac so maybe I’ll send a SAR to both.

Also on the land registry - the leaseholder title in the apartment I stayed at says “PLUS PARKING SPACE”. So the owner is leaseholder of Apartment plus parking space (owner told me no mention of parking space in leasehold but it is there clearly in the title).
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,555 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Also on the land registry - the leaseholder title in the apartment I stayed at says “PLUS PARKING SPACE”. So the owner is leaseholder of Apartment plus parking space (owner told me no mention of parking space in leasehold but it is there clearly in the title).
    Well spotted!

Send the SAR copied to all parties and show them very obviously with a cc list, who you've copied in, so they can all squabble among themselves.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Bakerbl
    Thanks coupon-mad. The amount of letters Im sending out is increasing. There is a third company I have now discovered with links to the MA (all operated out of the same address) and this company is listed in Armtrac’s website in its ‘satisfied customers list’ I’m working on the assumption this “intermediary” has the contract with Armtrac and initiated it on behalf of the MA who hold the freehold. Surely this ridiculous set up and the newly discovered fact that the leaseholds all include the parking spaces means no judge would take this seriously. A part from stamps I have now paid for land registry documents to prove my point. I’ll be sending me expenses bill when this affair is sorted.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    I suspect that very few judges take these residential claims seriously .

They then invite me to identify the driver and state "If you withhold this information, we reserve the right to draw the Court's attention (if County Court proceedings have been issued) to your conduct which may be perceived to be unreasonable in refusing to comply"

That is way beyond their fiat, to whom would it be considered unreasonable? Why? The words "withhold" and "comply" are totally unacceptable.

Copy it to their regulatory body, the SRA

http://www.sra.org.uk/home/home.page

and ask them if they are happy that their members make such treats.
    Use the phrase "conduct likely to bring their profession into disrepute".
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Bakerbl
    The Deep - thank you for your post. I’ll try the SRA but so far the SRA have not been on my side. I complained to the SRA when the £100 parking charge suddenly went to £160 before Letter of Claim was sent. Akin to double recovery. SRA told me charge was justified and to seek legal advice. Not a helpful lot.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Bakerbl wrote: »
    The Deep - thank you for your post. I’ll try the SRA but so far the SRA have not been on my side. I complained to the SRA when the £100 parking charge suddenly went to £160 before Letter of Claim was sent. Akin to double recovery. SRA told me charge was justified and to seek legal advice. Not a helpful lot.

I too have had the bums rush from the SRA, but if enough people complain it is likely imo that they will act. I cannot see how DCA charges can be justified. Perhaps you should ask your MP to seek clarification from them.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure