Free Computer & Internet Access for Children aged 7-14 of Low Income Families

Options

Comments

• sarahf191979
    sarahf191979 Posts: 3,077 Forumite
    Options
    maria932 wrote: »
    have just rang and am eligibleand they are sending the application form, thank you.

Do they send you the computer or do they send cash and u send receipts, how does it work?

They sent me a preload visa card from barclays, that could only be used at certain shops, there was £600 on it to cover the cost of the computer and the 12month internet dongal contract, in some cases you may have to add a bit extra in some shops, so do shop arround. The Toshiba I got was priced a £549 and if I had took the internet with it I would have had to pay £50 excess so do shop arround when it comes through.
    :D:D:D:D:D
    Where's the Coffee?? Show me the Coffee NOW!!
  • sarahf191979
    sarahf191979 Posts: 3,077 Forumite
    Options
    Thank You for this, have just rung up for an application form as seems I will be elligible.
    What an amazing scheme, can't believe they are doing this, fantastic!!

It is an amazing scheme, and well worth the phone call to see if your eligable for the grant, I can't recomend it enough. My son loves his little Toshiba and it has really bought his homework and school work on. He has also got in to Movie Making using it.
    :D:D:D:D:D
    Where's the Coffee?? Show me the Coffee NOW!!
  • scottishfreebiehunter
    Options
    Only England not UK like it says in pre recorded message:rolleyes: so told lady we are part of uk to :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Excellent idea and good luck to those that get them :T:T:T:T
    Just back into comping past few months to help me get over rubbish in life.... won Hotpoint fridge freezer, soda stream
  • jadiep
    jadiep Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know if this is available in wales or if it ever likely to be???

Thanks x
    :o
  • rich_shot2003
    Options
    I gave them a call on Friday and we passed the 1st step and they are sending out the forms within 7 days.

We Live in Cheshire so Cheshire seems to be taking part.
  • fazeypie
    fazeypie Posts: 1,542 Forumite
    Options
    They sent me a preload visa card from barclays, that could only be used at certain shops, there was £600 on it to cover the cost of the computer and the 12month internet dongal contract, in some cases you may have to add a bit extra in some shops, so do shop arround. The Toshiba I got was priced a £549 and if I had took the internet with it I would have had to pay £50 excess so do shop arround when it comes through.

does anyone know if you could use this to place an online order? A lot of companies do better deals online so you'd get a bit more for the money or be able to spend less so that any leftover money can go back into the fund for others.
    July- coconut body shop body butter, pom bear football, mini johnsons lotion, Sally Hansen nail treatments
  • isabel.h
    isabel.h Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    What a shame I had to go to work to get the kids a computer
  • scurr
    scurr Posts: 295 Forumite
    Options
    I know! Am gutted! Especially as it's so much money! £600 for a netbook and internet access? Pretty generous. How many extra teachers could this money have paid for? Or even after-school computer clubs?
  • marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    edited 10 January 2010 at 8:19PM
    Options
    scurr wrote: »
    I know! Am gutted! Especially as it's so much money! £600 for a netbook and internet access? Pretty generous. How many extra teachers could this money have paid for? Or even after-school computer clubs?
    It does seem a tad unfair as i know of two single parents working over 16 hours a week but still struggling and they are NOT eligible for these. I thought they would be but as they receive WORKING tax credits as well as child tax credits then this disqualifies them both. Sometimes if you add all the extra's up for not working and then put it against a person working BUT on a low income it pays you not to work:confused:.

I am sure though that their kiddies are prouder of their parents for working and earning a living and putting a roof over their heads though than receiving a free laptop from the state. I know I would have been. ;)

I know there are some that really cannot work and that a scheme like this would benefit and its those people that I hope and pray these vouchers go to. £600 is a hell of a lot for a netbook. I was looking for one for my 13 year old daughter for christmas but we just could not afford and these were only £250 odd. They must be brill computers for that price.

I do however agree with you over the extra teachers and also after school clubs. I know how long these kids will go on facebook if they can do and are allowed to do so:eek:. I have one myself here.
  • rich_shot2003
    Options
    What are the shops that they let you get the pc from??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure