Free Computer & Internet Access for Children aged 7-14 of Low Income Families

Former_MSE_Wendy
Former_MSE_Wendy Posts: 929
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! PPI Party Pooper Best Buy Bear
Forumite
edited 10 June 2010 at 4:24PM in Benefits & tax credits
This is the place to discuss the article

Please click 'post reply' to leave feedback (this post has been inserted on top of an already very good and long discussion about Home Access Grants)

Happy to talk to the press about your grant?

The Home Access team are looking for people who've had a grant to help promote the Home Access scheme by talking to the press. They asked us to post this messgae...

The Home Access team are interested in using the experiences of those who have already been involved in Home Access to promote the scheme to other families and make sure that those who need it most benefit. Please email [EMAIL="homeaccess@becta.org.uk"]homeaccess@becta.org.uk[/EMAIL] if you are interested in getting involved and someone from the team will contact you. At this stage, you would only be committing to a further discussion with the team and could still decide that you don’t actually want to get involved.

*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• lorweld
    lorweld Posts: 5,546
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 10 March 2010 at 10:01AM
    http://www.nextgenerationlearning.org.uk/homeaccess
    Launching early next year, Home Access is a new government programme targeting families that do not have access to a computer or the internet at home.
    If you are a low income family, you could qualify for a grant to buy a computer and/or at least one years’ internet access to help your child learn at home.

Depending on what you need, the grant allows eligible applicants to buy one of the following packages:

1. Full package (a computer, one year's internet access, service and support).
    2. A computer, service and support only.
    3. One year's internet access only.

Home Access will be launched across England in the New Year.
    Get in the know about the new government-backed computer and internet packages designed to support learning here.
    Already got a Home Access Grant? Click here to find out about Home Access computer and internet packages.
    :hello:
  • lorweld
    lorweld Posts: 5,546
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    http://www.homeaccess.org.uk/Information-for-parents/
    Information for parents

Are you eligible?
    If you are a parent and think you are eligible for a Home Access grant simply call the Home Access Grant Helpline on 0333 200 1004 to get an application form.

Quick eligibility check
    Have a look eligibility requirements below. You may be able to qualify for a Home Access grant if you:
    • Answer yes to three questions in Section one
    AND
    • Answer yes to at least one question in Section two

Section One:
    Are you a parent or guardian responsible for and living with a child…..
    …who is in school years 3 to 9?
    …who attends a state-maintained school in England full time**?
    …who has not already had a computer from a Home Access Grant or similar programme, such as Computers for Pupils?

Section Two:
    Do you receive at least one of the following?
    • Free school meals for your child***
    • Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    • Income support
    • Child Tax Credit but not Working Tax Credit and an income of less than £16,040
    • Guaranteed Pension Credit (not Savings Credit)
    • Income-based Employment Support Allowance
    • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
    :hello:
  • sarahf191979
    sarahf191979 Posts: 3,077 Forumite
    I can highly recomend this scheme if you qualify, we lived in Oldham last year when they did the trail scheme and it was so easy to apply for, as long as you meet the requirements. It took about 6 weeks in all to come through and I was sent a Card with the funds on which I had to activate, they also sent me a sheet showing which shops I could use it at. There is pleanty of choice of Laptops, netbooks and home PC's to choose from for your children. My son choose the Toshiba netbook which is fantastic and he loves to bits, and it really helps with all his school work.

If you qualify do apply it is worth it for your children's education.
    :D:D:D:D:D
    Where's the Coffee?? Show me the Coffee NOW!!
  • cherry1000
    cherry1000 Posts: 226 Forumite
    I was also part of the scheme last year in oldham was sceptical at first but got my laptop within around 4 weeks,you could also get 2 if you had more than 1 child.The internet access is in the form of a dongle with 12 months paid after that you just top up £10 per month.I hope everyone who deserves them gets them as i had friends who left it to late to claim one and missed out.
  • andiepool
    andiepool Posts: 33 Forumite
    Does anybody know if this scheme is going to be available in Scotland or will we be the ones to miss out???? I have a son at 14 and my computer has just given up the ghost. He is at an age where he really needs a computer for homework and coursework as his school workload is steadily starting to increase now he is coming towards the final years of his schooling. We are currently borrowing a laptop from a neighbour but this isn't an ideal situation as she uses it herself for her home business and lets us use it for about an hour in the evening so my son can get his homework done.
    This would be ideal for us, I am a disabled, single Mum in reciept of benefits and would, as I have previously said, help us greatly.
    If someone could let me know if this scheme is going to be available to all across the UK, rather than just England, I would be very grateful.
    Thanks.
  • vicki468
    vicki468 Posts: 18 Forumite
    im confused it says on site a child aged 3-9 but i rang them an said not eligible as my son is 5
  • cherry1000
    cherry1000 Posts: 226 Forumite
    vicki468 wrote: »
    im confused it says on site a child aged 3-9 but i rang them an said not eligible as my son is 5
    I would just ask for the application form to be sent to you any way (if you answered yes to the three questions in the first bit and one in the second)just to make sure.
  • vicki468 wrote: »
    when they say 3-9 they mean school years.
  • bluepricey
    bluepricey Posts: 809 Forumite
    can i ask a daft question where is the number to ring them goin off the previous posts i think we qualify and my son could really do with a laptop for school tia
    :confused::confused::confused:
  • nutty1
    nutty1 Posts: 2,204
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    vicki468 wrote: »
    it says a child who is in school years 3-9, think it means year 3-9 class
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport