PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

xmas dinner, what did you learn?

Comments

• Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,862 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I learned that with a bit of planning Xmas when hubby is working nights IS working :)

yesterday he got home ot 7.30am, we watched DD and DS open their presents from Santa and then he went to bed, I played with kids and chilled all morning, hubby up at 3pm and we opened some more pressies and had M&S steak in sauce and chips before he went to work again at 5.30pm,
    he's off tonight so will sleep until about 1pm, I'll prepare everything this morning with no extra hassle, Mum and Dad arriving at 2pm with more pressies and we'll all sit down for Xmas dinner at 4pm,
    tomorrow is a real chill day, just us, smoked salmon and cream cheese bagels with bucks fizz for breckie then a day of fun with kids, gammon and onion marmalade with bubble and squeak for dinner

making the best of it is turning into a lovely Xmas :)
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Hello all, hope everyone is chilling a bit today!

The amin things I learnt were doing the prep of stuffing, sauces etc to service with dinner the weekend before and freezing really helped reduce the stress this year for me.

Lessons needing to be learnt from this year are cooking less veg and reducing the amount of sauces as I have lots of left over cranberry sauce

Overall, because of the prep of freezing as much as I could and then hard work preparing the HM starter and pud on Christmas Eve did mean it was easier of the day itself which I was most surprised about!!
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    i learnt that although were all happy with veg. Roasties, yorkies , meat and gravy would do just as good.

also i only learnt to make home made gravy couple months back :embarasse :shocked: it really is the best gravy ever and made xmas dinner wonderful. and roast gammon and roast beef is fab

don't cook as many sprouts because they don't all get eaten .

but all in all, although there's lots of diff things to cook the one thing i learnt is , I'll be doing the same all over again next year and will prob learn somethign new.:rotfl:
  • I learnt to sit back and be waited on by our dd and her dh. No stress in their kitchen and wonderful meal cooked to perfection
  • That my daughter, 18, makes the best roast potatoes.

and she is best on the Wii too :)
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I learnt not to trust 19 yr olds with the job of taking the cork out of the fizzy wine bottles. :rolleyes:
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I learnt to stay in bed all morning after being sick etc during the night meant I felt much better in the afternoon and the family cooked a brilliant meal.

DD(23) made gorgous leeks and bacon in cheese sauce and red cabbage and caramelised onions.

I came down and remembered to make the stuffing balls at the last minute and nearly every vegetable in the house has been used up.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • I found out that I am able to make a decent Christmas Dinner!
    Was the first time I'd tried, and I was very pleased with myself!!!
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Xmas dinner, what did you learn?

I learnt that that one last sprout was one too many..... I don't reel very well now!

LOL! are you sure it was the sprout.....not the chocolate or drink ?
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    1. Juniper is bloomin' strong.

When the recipe says 4 crushed berries per 1kg venison fillet - believe it, don't double it because 'they're so tiny'.

2. Figure out how long sauce flour takes to cook into the gravy before pouring it all over the perfect roasties. Wahhhhh.

Conversely, I found that Juniper berries don't keep their strength for approaching 20yrs! I did a pate, which has juniper berries in. I put the full 6 in last time, so this time put 3 in....but it tasted of nothing!!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family