Oven with integrated extraction

I have a query about oven design/installation. It’s a bit tedious to explain so please be patient.

I have a built-under multi-function oven (Candy). When I use the oven grill, and depending on what I’m grilling, smoke will sometimes be produced. I have to open an external house door (not good in cold weather) to clear the smoke and close internal doors to avoid the house smoke alarms going off.

There seem to be a lot of web articles suggesting a smoking grill is caused by residual fats or cleaning products. I think that’s not relevant. My grill only smokes when it’s actually grilling something, typically oily fish. It’s obvious what happens; the food spatters fat up onto the hot grill elements and the fat is immediately converted to smoke.

When I examine my oven I see it has vents behind the top of the door just under the controls. When I shine a torch inside I see that the oven is constructed with an inner (lower) casing and an outer (upper) casing (I imagine it has to be for safety reasons). According to an article I found, “The cooling fan inside the oven is in operation and works to blow air out through the vent at the top of your oven door, just below the control panel. This is an important function that keeps the control panel cool to the touch, preventing the cook from burning their fingers when altering the controls during cooking.”

I must say, I’m not entirely convinced by the control panel cooling explanation but that’s by the by. Here’s my thought; if a fan were arranged to suck air into these vents, and from there be directed to outside (or re-circulated via a carbon filter), it would make a very effective extractor for any smoke exiting the opened oven.

My question: Are there any ovens that facilitate this? I cannot find any reference to such a design. There’s a Pando slide-out hood (search "Pando E-100"), which might serve the same purpose, but is a separate unit. The fact that many built-under ovens have the vents I’ve described but don’t utilise them for smoke extraction seems like a missed trick.

Comments

• Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My Aga extracts to the flue
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,110
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    whathim wrote: »
    I must say, I’m not entirely convinced by the control panel cooling explanation but that’s by the by.

That's exactly what it is for, cooling the control panel. Other than that I can't help as I've not come across the problem of a smoky grill - move the fish further away from the element perhaps?
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,102
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    EssexExile wrote: »
    That's exactly what it is for, cooling the control panel. Other than that I can't help as I've not come across the problem of a smoky grill - move the fish further away from the element perhaps?

I thought the same,move the rack down one slot in the oven and try to see if the fault goes away.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure