Bensons for bed mattress

Hi,
About a year ago I purchased a sensaform memory active 3000 mattress from bensons. Part if the appeal for me was that the memory foam topper was supposed to be breathable and not get warm. However, I have noticed lately that it's like sleeping on hot coals! After a while in bed the mattress is unbearably warm. A mattress topper has helped but not fixed the problem. I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience or any advice. I've spoken to bensons and they want me to pay for FIRA to come out , which from what I've read elsewhere seems pointless. Do they even trst temperature?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    How much was the mattress? What would FIRA do if they came out, and would Bensons pick up the cost if FIRA agreed with you and the mattress needed to be replaced?
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The trouble is that temperature is very subjective and not necessarily measurable in these cases.

I get really hot on a normal mattress but my wife always complains about feeling cold on the same mattress. i purposely avoid memory foam ones altogether due to their reputation of making you feel warm.

So I can't see how they could test it 'feeling warm'.
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 12 October 2019 at 2:49PM
    Try opening the window? OH is always hot in bed like a volcano, when I am just right, so always wants the window open. Have a Hypnos mattress with topper, very comfy .
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • chrisw wrote: »
    The trouble is that temperature is very subjective and not necessarily measurable in these cases.

I get really hot on a normal mattress but my wife always complains about feeling cold on the same mattress. i purposely avoid memory foam ones altogether due to their reputation of making you feel warm.

So I can't see how they could test it 'feeling warm'.

Forgive me for being naive but surely temperature is measurable? The mattress is supposed to increase air flow, some sort of special breathable foam. It wasnt bad to begin with but I definitely domt think its 'bretahing' anymore
  • Mattress was mid range, about £550. If FIRA came out and agreed, bensons would have to replace the mattress as it has a 5 year guarantee. I'm not sure what exactly the FIRA do when they came out
  • kev25v6
    kev25v6 Posts: 235 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My sensaform 9000 is just the same, found it to be very warm but quite comfy (for the first year) We bought a thick protecter for it from Ikea (£65) after a few weeks and it made it like a normal bed again. There is a big ridge in the middle already and the top layer has sunk where we sleep even with turning but I don’t think Bensons will entertain a claim under their guarantee, it’s just something they offer that doesn’t really mean anything.
  • It's good to know that it's not just me finding this problem! I got a bamboo topper from dunelm which has helped, but I still found that by the morning the bed was incredibly warm! I've actually ended up flipping it to the spring side (even though you're not supposed to), put the topper on that last night and found it to be much better. I didnt think they would be likely to do anything about it and cant afford another one yet so will have to make do with some work around
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hollymav wrote: »
    Forgive me for being naive but surely temperature is measurable? The mattress is supposed to increase air flow, some sort of special breathable foam. It wasnt bad to begin with but I definitely domt think its 'bretahing' anymore

The bed itself doesn't have a temperature as such. How warm it feels is partly down to how well it conducts heat away from the body and partly due to an individual's perception.

You might be right that it has somehow squashed and reduced breathability but you'd have to measure before and after flow rates and link that directly to the perceived warmth, rather than eg you've had the heating on slightly longer as the weather changes.

I'm not disputing it feels warmer, I just cant see a way of proving it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure