Which woodburning stove is the best?

Comments

• Thanks Greenfires. I've just received another quote for a similar amount, which I suppose means it is in the ballpark. I've just looked up the cost of all materials though and it comes in at under £500, allowing for the highest grade of flue liner and other bits they detail. So is £1000 for labour (they've said it's a one-day job) and insurances and other costs you mention still not a bit steep? Do I have room to negotiate this? We are on a pretty tight renovation budget, and obviously have to buy the stove on top of this quote.
    bazza
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You could always look for a competent builder who isn't a HETAS member. get him to fit it and then have it inspected and signed-off by your local council. That might save some money.
  • Thanks A. Badger. Should we be looking at a 11kw stove? room is about 7.5 x 8.5 x 2.5 meters, there is a staircase and three doors, loads of windows.
  • Badger is right - but do make sure you have it signed off if you go down that route. Most of the dodgy installations I have to deal with are done by builders - including one who'd fitted a ventilation cap (for a disused chimney) to a flue serving a live stove "I checked up and it's the one they recommend for stoves"!! Unbelievable - luckily the customer is still alive!
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    bazzarob wrote: »
    Thanks A. Badger. Should we be looking at a 11kw stove? room is about 7.5 x 8.5 x 2.5 meters, there is a staircase and three doors, loads of windows.

I'd hesitate to advise.The last two stoves I've bought were fitted in old houses and on both occasions I was warned they would 'roast you out of there, mate'. On both occasions that advice was wrong and on the first, the stove was seriously underpowered.

So many oif the calculators you see on websites and used by the manufacturers and retailers don't seem to properly account for older, less well insulated homes.

If I were to offer advice it would be to try to get a home visit by whoever is selling the stove, so that they can see the area for themselves.
  • Thanks both. This is really helpful. I've looked around on the forums and what I'm really concerned about is paying thousands for a day's work and not knowing what I'm paying for. Obviously it all has to be safe and I'd be paying for peace of mind, but if everything's there and it's relatively straight forward I can't see where the cost is coming from!
    The house is definitely not well insulated and as soon as summer ends the temps plummet indoors. That's why we need the stove!
  • alscrackers
    alscrackers Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 29 October 2013 at 12:37PM
    Hi Mrs Davo,
    I too saw a Dartmoor w5 and thought it was the stove for us. After much trawling I came across your post and wondered if you are still happy with your choice. Other half thinks that the firebox is too shallow to fit decent sized logs. Would love to hear how you have found it before I shell out!! :)
  • PS. Has anyone else tried a Dartmoor w5? User reviews are scarce :(
  • Welshbird
    Welshbird Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 16 November 2013 at 6:14PM
    Hia Mrs Davo

We too are thinking of buying a Dartmoor W5. What is yours like?
    Im assuming yours is all up & running now. We are torn between this & a Hunter Cleanburn Norreskoven. Would love to see reviews on the Dartmoor.
  • ricky9
    ricky9 Posts: 141 Forumite
    Has anyone got or any views on The Stratford Ecoboiler EB9i HE Inset Multi Fuel Boiler stove.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure