PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Sell house or rent dilemma

Comments

• Yes i did say above its not a typical place i would buy to let out but i know its history well so thete should be no surprises. My current rental has small mortgage so was looking to invest this if I sold question is where and would I get the same income.?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Landlords are in the sights of both Labour and Conservatives. Sell.
  • System
    Community Admin
    edited 17 September 2019 at 8:43PM
    flopsy1973 wrote: »
    If I sold question is where and would I get the same income.?

I bought some house builder PLC shares Taylor Wimpey and Galliford Try. About 8% dividends. Probably a silly investment, but the dividends are too good to turn down. And Galliford Try is now being bought out by Bovis, so a good profit.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,257
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Yes i did say above its not a typical place i would buy to let out but i know its history well so thete should be no surprises. My current rental has small mortgage so was looking to invest this if I sold question is where and would I get the same income.?

What about the property makes you say that?

If you want to buy a property to let have you thought about asking experienced tenants what they want from a rental, what they’d grab with open arms and what they’d not touch with a barge pole. There’s lots of tenants on here.

In some parts of the country, usually outside London and other big cities, tenants can have a lot of choice.

Bearing in mind my experience is in the South West, a cute cottage with fabulous views of Dartmoor may seem like a dream but wait until it snows - heavily. Seen that

Don’t forget there’s lot of older people renting now. They (ie me) can be fussy but have the reputation of looking after the property and are likely to stay longer.

Ask letting agents. There’s plenty of good ones around, look for ARLA signs, they have pass exams for that:T
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    As you've already one in the street, it's just a matter of deciding as you do know whether it'll rent, who to and at what price. Two in one street is less than 2x the effort to manage.

But - do you really want to do that to your family home, about which you'll have emotions?
  • If my tenant gives her notice in, I will sell, due to the 'Corbyn Factor'.

However if you are not worried about that, and can rent out your family home without emotional ties, then I doubt whether you would get the same return for your money elsewhere.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • System
    Community Admin
    8% dividend yield and potential capital growth with PLC house builder shares, that do not need managing, seems like a much easier way to invest in property.
  • Also if I did this rental would give me 2.9% yield from what iv worked out
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Also if I did this rental would give me 2.9% yield from what iv worked out

Ofcourse there's tax, repairs, sinking fund, regular payments (e.g. gas safety) and voids to consider.
  • System
    Community Admin
    Also if I did this rental would give me 2.9% yield from what iv worked out

What a dismal unappealing yield! You could almost get better in the bank.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure