PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Royal Mail redirection - is it worth it?

Comments

• OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 24 March 2019 at 4:32PM
    Does anyone know if Royal Mail post forwarding is supposed to be confidential or not?

I have no debts or anything like that, but I had a PI who found me (for someone I didn't want contact with), and I have just learned that he found out that there was a RM redirection in place in my name, from one address to the other. Anyone know if that's information which could be obtained legally, as I suspect that should surely be a breach of DPA?
    Any comments welcome, thanks

Report the PI (private investigator) to the ICO (information commissioner's office):
    https://www.dacbeachcroft.com/en/gb/articles/2016/may/data-protection-compliance-of-private-investigators-in-the-spotlight/

Edit: The above is pre-GDPR, so now, presumably, you have to complain to the company that hired the PI, and that company has to do it's own internal investigation. IF you are not satisfied with their investigation, you can complain to the ICO
  • OceanSound
    My re-direct has an expiry date of: 25 March 2019.

Does anyone know if this means it finishes on 25 March 2019 23:59:59

or it finishes today at midnight?

The royal mail website say's I may receive an invitation letter or email to renew before it expires. I've not had anything via post or email about this. When I access the royal mail redirections site to renew, its asking for a renewal reference number and a renewal code.

The website says 'If you do not have your Redirection number or renewal code, call customer services on 03457 777 888 who may be able to help you do this.'

Reckon that's what I would need to do. But if the redirect ends tonight, I'm guessing it may be too late to renew tomorrow (I cannot call RM today as they are closed)? So, presumably I would have to start afresh (and that means 5 working days or more to setup).
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    OceanSound wrote: »
    My re-direct has an expiry date of: 25 March 2019.

Does anyone know if this means it finishes on 25 March 2019 23:59:59

or it finishes today at midnight?

The royal mail website say's I may receive an invitation letter or email to renew before it expires. I've not had anything via post or email about this. When I access the royal mail redirections site to renew, its asking for a renewal reference number and a renewal code.

The website says 'If you do not have your Redirection number or renewal code, call customer services on 03457 777 888 who may be able to help you do this.'

Reckon that's what I would need to do. But if the redirect ends tonight, I'm guessing it may be too late to renew tomorrow (I cannot call RM today as they are closed)? So, presumably I would have to start afresh (and that means 5 working days or more to setup).

It finishes on that day when the delivery is performed.
    it will be removed (or should be) from the delivery frame the next day before redirections are completed
  • OceanSound
    edited 25 March 2019 at 2:43PM
    I phoned RM, and it turns out my redirect finishes on 25 April 2019 (I now remember, initial expiry was 25 March, but after some issues with the redirect, RM gave 1 additional month). CS lady said I should receive both an email and letter soon with the renewal code. She also said I would need to renew at least by 20 April. Not any later. So, presumably, IF my expiry was today, I wouldn't have been able to renew.

Edit: the redirect labels affixed on my mail still have 'expires: 25 Mar 2019', that's what confused me.
  • OceanSound
    Here's a good one!. Emailed RM on 03 january about issues with redirect, come 22 January not heard anything, so I send a follow-up.

Yesterday (nearly three months since my initial email) I receive a reply from RM saying:
    In order for me to advise you fully, please can you kindly respond back to this email and confirm your new address details in full, upon receipt of this information I can then assist you accordingly.

This is not the first time RM have dealt with support issues from me. There have been many. Also, re. current issues (the ones the two emails in Janaury were about), in the end, since I didn't have any response for weeks, I contacted my MP (member of parliament) and he contacted RM on my behalf and sorted the issue (at the end of February). RM Customer support seems oblivious about this.

To add insult to injury, RM customer support signes off the email with 'Please respond back to this email at your earliest convenience.'
    Is that a joke? Answers on a postcard please...Actually, keeping in mind the issues with the Redirect I've been having, best NOT to send postcards.
  • OceanSound
    Redirect gone haywire again!

From 22 May 2019 up to now I've had 20 letters that have gone to the old address. Nothing has arrived at new address since 22 May 2019.

I contacted RM support on 04 June 2019. A RM Customer services advisor send me a letter on 11th June, saying:
    My investigations have included checking that the name and address details provided in your application have been added to our systems correctly, including any variation of the name(s) included in your request.

I can confirm that I have also taken the following action on your behalf:

* Logged and reported full details of your complaint
    * Passed these details to my colleagues in our delivery operation.
    * Confirmed that the manager at the delivery office local to your old address that they are in receipt of full instructions regarding this service.
    I've just been told by a family member that a couple of letters have arrived at old address. Honestly, you couldn't make it up. Could any other company be so incompetent even if they tried?
  • OceanSound wrote: »
    Redirect gone haywire again!
    From 22 May 2019 up to now I've had 20 letters that have gone to the old address. Nothing has arrived at new address since 22 May 2019.

OMG.. I'm really not happy to hear this as I'm just considering the use of this service. :(
  • BrownTrout
    BrownTrout Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I never had any issues! Certainly worth using
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,232 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    OMG.. I'm really not happy to hear this as I'm just considering the use of this service.
    BrownTrout wrote: »
    I never had any issues! Certainly worth using

+1

I've used Royal Mail Redirect every time I've moved and it's a brilliant service that I would recommend to everyone.
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,038 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    +1

I've used Royal Mail Redirect every time I've moved and it's a brilliant service that I would recommend to everyone.

Ditto, although after my most recent move, I'd do it for a shorter time next time. I've always done a year to be on the safe side. This time we had a really good list of companies to contact to update our details, and we only had a small amount of redirected post arrive for 2-3 months. We're moving again soon and I'll only pay for 6 months.

New question - we're likely to move before our previous redirect ends (moving twice in less than a year). Can redirected post get redirected? :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure