Booking train tickets via Southern Rail site -beware!

2»

Comments

• Jeff_Bridges_hair
    Jeff_Bridges_hair Posts: 6,330 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2012 at 1:37PM
    I am looking at exactly the same screen as you are. The mixing desk. All the 6 buttons on the top show differing amounts for different tickets. There is one that shows a variety of prices in a price range which is the default selection. then on the bottom row of buttons there is one for £116 1st single. click that THEN go down to the times and you will see it available.

Using someone elses computer here so cant upload any pics but if you cant find it then ill upload it later.

Oh and the codes are the different fares structures. More info about them can be found HERE
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • snowcat53
    snowcat53 Posts: 602 Forumite
    Thanks for your help but no, we were looking at different screens. I know because I had to click the option to see the other buttons and fares.. The initial display had 2 rows of fare buttons, with the rest (including the 116 one) hidden. As I said above I can now see the cheaper fare is there that mystery is solved. .
  • I was looking at the mixing desk after entering the journey details and never had to click anything else except the button for £116 fare.

All sorted now.
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    snowcat53 wrote: »
    lawnet - what is LFB and BGO?

The fare code.

There is a walk-up fare - £189.50, and various Advance buckets.

These are:

FCS £36.50
    FBS £49
    FAS £62.50

BHO £81.50
    BGO £155.50
    BFO £180

LFB £116

They will sell out from cheapest to most expensive, and most trains won't have the cheapest fares available at all.

These will stand for something FCS/FBS/FAS 'First x Service' or similar, 'BHO' is perhaps 'Business x x' and LFB perhaps 'Leisure First'

The BHO, BGO and BFO will be the same thing just different price, but the FCS, FBS and FAS may well have different entitlements from the BHO, BHO, BFO, e.g., lounge access.
  • snowcat53
    snowcat53 Posts: 602 Forumite
    edited 19 October 2012 at 7:28AM
    thelawnet wrote: »
    The fare code.

These are:
    These will stand for something FCS/FBS/FAS 'First x Service' or similar, 'BHO' is perhaps 'Business x x' and LFB perhaps 'Leisure First'

The BHO, BGO and BFO will be the same thing just different price, but the FCS, FBS and FAS may well have different entitlements from the BHO, BHO, BFO, e.g., lounge access.

Gordon Bennett! Is it any wonder there is confusion?
    Thanks very much for that.

The main issue is sorted now and it is useful to know one can get the 6% cashback on any ticket via Southern , and it is probably worth putting up with their site for that. What I do not like though is the multiplicity of buttons (eg for advance 1st and standard fares) - so that clicking on one of these only gives you a subset, while others in the same category (which might be the cheaper ones) are hidden behind the 'click for more fares' link. On other sites if you go for say an Advance fare I think it only allows you to buy the cheapest one of that class available, with Southern's you could inadvertently buy a dear one when cheaper ones are still there.
  • snowcat53 wrote: »
    Gordon Bennett! Is it any wonder there is confusion?.

Well if Mr Osborne, the Chancellor of the Exchequer can't get it right what chance for the rest of us?

IMHO one need to be careful with fare codes as some are not available for public use and on a general forum like Moneysaver can cause confusion or heated debate on why one isn't entitled to PRV or PCS fares.
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport