Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Butti
    • By Butti 3rd May 18, 8:25 PM
    • 4,898Posts
    • 14,232Thanks
    Butti
    The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt
    • 3rd May 18, 8:25 PM
    The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt 3rd May 18 at 8:25 PM
    Ooooh so close....so very close.

So I've decided it is time to move on to the next chapter.

The whimsical tale of the waterbed of debt is a metaphor for my debts. In a few days time (when I'm back from Milan - how appropriate!) I shall start detailing how my debts have gone down a little and my mortgage is doing quite nicely but how pushing down too enthusiastically can result in other bits popping up.

This is the story of how difficult I find it to cut down on all areas and not to suffer rebound in other areas. Keep having acid reflux in yoga too!

It will also have a bit of psychobabble.

.....and a bit of whimsy.

BUT FIRST ironing in preparation for Milan. A trip which has free travel and free accommodation . I just need to remember not to strangle my friend after four days if she is catastrophising too much or generating too many black and white arguments.

And so ....to the ironing
    Last edited by Butti; 03-05-2018 at 8:40 PM.
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. (08/12) £22,734. (2/19 )£4621
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    35% 35.4% 36.3% off mortgage
    'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S MOB
Page 15
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 21st May 19, 9:40 AM
    • 2,661 Posts
    • 27,899 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Another 9 days till payday here

Hope you feel better soon.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again

May budget Review - I saved £700 : https://youtu.be/eBorBymXXCQ

Budget for June - Aiming to Save £2000: https://youtu.be/SExHVDMY_JE
    • Butti
    • By Butti 21st May 19, 11:33 AM
    • 4,898 Posts
    • 14,232 Thanks
    Butti
    Back pain might be shingles!
    Have to wait and see AND cancel all engagements for this week. Ah well, will save some money!
    'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S MOB
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 21st May 19, 7:46 PM
    • 63,847 Posts
    • 283,278 Thanks
    beanielou
    Shingles
    Why are you
    I am confused.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Butti
    • By Butti 21st May 19, 9:57 PM
    • 4,898 Posts
    • 14,232 Thanks
    Butti
    I'm not really, it's more like an "Oh joy" response. An example of how well sarcasm translates in print!
    Just think the dr has added up 2 + 2 and come to 5.

So I have pins and needles in my fingers
    Pain in my toes
    Pain in my back

If you are hypothyroid
    The first points to a calcium deficiency
    The second points to a B12 deficiency
    Both of these are common to hypo-thyroid
    The third could be a pulled muscle/appendix/pleuracy/slipped disc/referred pain.

So my doc has gone - you have pins and needles and some pain, you have a red patch on your back. Shingles starts as a red spot and spreads. She has completely ignored the hypothothyroid element.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope it is not shingles. I have a 60th birthday do to go to on Saturday. There will be people there I have not seen for 15 years. If it is shingles I won't be seeing them at all!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 22nd May 19, 7:08 AM
    • 63,847 Posts
    • 283,278 Thanks
    beanielou
    So hoping it is not shingles.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Butti
    • By Butti 22nd May 19, 5:49 PM
    • 4,898 Posts
    • 14,232 Thanks
    Butti
    So hoping it is not shingles.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    I think it's shingles! The good news is it's harder to spread than I thought. Spots are only on my middle and they are scabso so provided I don't wear a cropped top and swish a brillo pad across my six pack nobody is going to catch anything.

Pain in the fingers is a bit of a nightmare though!
    • Butti
    • By Butti 10th Jun 19, 9:29 PM
    • 4,898 Posts
    • 14,232 Thanks
    Butti
    We've also found out that i have vitamin D deficiency, of which pain in joints is a symptom. It appears the NHS does not treat this! They have provided me with a list of Vitamin D sources which have immediately been dissed by the internet forum for vitamin d deficiency. If I just take a shedload of vitamin D, it seems there are issues with the deposition of calcium, so I also need to also take Vitamin K, magnesium and Boron. The NHS reckons I just need vitamin D. I think I'm going to rattle.
    • Butti
    • By Butti 12th Jun 19, 7:43 AM
    • 4,898 Posts
    • 14,232 Thanks
    Butti
    Had a letter through from the bank. My mortgage deal is 5 years old, strangely living in my house is only 4 and a bit years old! So currently I have two mortgages and the bigger one is on 3.8% and the £6k one is on 4%.

The house is worth about £151k and the outstanding loan by July will be about £54k. So for loans of 60% of the value of the house I can get a rate of 1.84%. Hugely better than what I am on right now!
    I have two plans, they depend on my saving ability.

1. Both start with a 2 year mortgage based on me paying £800 per month, this will be an overpayment of around £300 a month and the interest will drop by about £100 per month. This overpayment can start in about September because I will have cleared one credit card.

2. One is to save a bit (don't you love a specific plan!) over those two years and to take a mortgage holiday for a year. That holiday would pay for a new kitchen

3. The other is to add the kitchen to the mortgage in 2 years time. This will increase the value of the house. I'm thinking my budget will be about £10k. I don't mind putting cabinets together, tiling and painting.

4. For this plan to work I really need to get on and claim my tax back. I should have a number back from them now. Instead I just have multiple phone messages 'from HMRC' telling me that if I don't press 1 they will be issuing a warrant for my arrest

I know who will be fitting the kitchen. I was trapped in the corner of the pub on Sunday after a walk, with his ex-girlfriend crying on me.
    I was shooting raised eyebrows at him in a very British way. As you will gather I AM the person to come to if you need comforting over your feelings. I regularly write mine down just to identify what the hell they are. He will do a good job at a reasonable price and he's already told me what units he won't fit because they aren't good enough!

Do you think 2 years is enough time for a plan to clear the garage and find out if there are any extra floor tiles in there? I like the floor tiles but about 2 need replacing.

In the meantime I think I've just had a moment of inspiration. Going to do some painting in the next couple of months. Switch things round.
    Last edited by Butti; 12-06-2019 at 7:58 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

1,790Users online

Martin's Twitter