Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • campbell19925
    • By campbell19925 27th May 19, 12:47 AM
    • 173Posts
    • 207Thanks
    campbell19925
    2nd Job Query
    • 27th May 19, 12:47 AM
    2nd Job Query 27th May 19 at 12:47 AM
    Hello,

I have a main job through the week salaried at 39k P.A (soon to rise) and I have an interview tomorrow for a bar job on weekends which will pay minimum living wage. It won't be cash in hand. I am just thinking is it worth it? What are that tax implications of it?

Does anyone have any help/advice?

It's just for some extra cash as Mrs is on ML and we're a bit short.

Thanks for any help
Page 1
    • Ja7188
    • By Ja7188 27th May 19, 8:41 AM
    • 287 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    Ja7188
    • 27th May 19, 8:41 AM
    • 27th May 19, 8:41 AM
    Unless you're about to get a big pay rise in your main job, your total earnings will below the level at which you start paying higher rate tax, so your earnings in the second job will all be taxed at 20%. Only you can decide whether or not this is worth it...

Your main employer may expect you to declare that you're taking on a second job but in my experience, they're highly unlikely to have an issue with it unless the bar somehow competes with them - check your contract to be sure.
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 27th May 19, 8:54 AM
    • 754 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    MarkN88
    • 27th May 19, 8:54 AM
    • 27th May 19, 8:54 AM
    Not sure how many hours you would do at the weekend but assuming your over 25 and therefore minimum wage is £8.21.

Let’s say 10 hours for easier maths.

That’s £82.10 for the weekend, over a year (52 weekends) that’s just over £4200.

Up to you to decide if that’s worth it and remember tax and ni to come off plus loss of weekends or some of it anyway.

Obviously adjust my workings accordingly to hours.
    • NeverendingDMP
    • By NeverendingDMP 27th May 19, 8:59 AM
    • 377 Posts
    • 1,360 Thanks
    NeverendingDMP
    • 27th May 19, 8:59 AM
    • 27th May 19, 8:59 AM
    How long is she on maternity leave for. If its going to ling enough to put her below tax thresholds she could swap some of her tax allowance to you this year. That might help a little bit
    Job wise it may not feel worth it but if its necessary in the short term then you may need to go for it.
    35,213 - Jan 2018, 28979 remaining.
    Mortgage 77230- 73364 remaining.
    Make 2019- 1123 /2019 EF =62
    • chrisbur
    • By chrisbur 27th May 19, 1:38 PM
    • 3,200 Posts
    • 1,745 Thanks
    chrisbur
    • 27th May 19, 1:38 PM
    • 27th May 19, 1:38 PM
    Not sure how many hours you would do at the weekend but assuming your over 25 and therefore minimum wage is £8.21.

Letís say 10 hours for easier maths.

Thatís £82.10 for the weekend, over a year (52 weekends) thatís just over £4200.

Up to you to decide if thatís worth it and remember tax and ni to come off plus loss of weekends or some of it anyway.

Obviously adjust my workings accordingly to hours.
    Originally posted by MarkN88
    On details given so far unlikely to be any NI deduction as falling below the earnings threshold (£166 a week ) so just tax at 20%
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 1st Jun 19, 10:41 PM
    • 6,341 Posts
    • 2,900 Thanks
    LeeUK
    • 1st Jun 19, 10:41 PM
    • 1st Jun 19, 10:41 PM
    I know people who work a full time day job and also work a couple of evenings a week in a bar. It can be done.
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 2nd Jun 19, 3:27 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 767 Thanks
    andydownes123
    • 2nd Jun 19, 3:27 PM
    • 2nd Jun 19, 3:27 PM
    As long as you're combined income is less than £50,001, then it'll all be taxed at 20%
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 2nd Jun 19, 9:07 PM
    • 4,945 Posts
    • 2,576 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 2nd Jun 19, 9:07 PM
    • 2nd Jun 19, 9:07 PM
    As the op didn't say where they were resident for tax purposes I think that's a bit presumptuous.

Might be £50k, might be much less.
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 3rd Jun 19, 8:29 AM
    • 646 Posts
    • 767 Thanks
    andydownes123
    • 3rd Jun 19, 8:29 AM
    • 3rd Jun 19, 8:29 AM
    As the op didn't say where they were resident for tax purposes I think that's a bit presumptuous.
    Originally posted by Dazed and confused

Steady on cowboy, not backward in coming forward. We'll wait for OP to clarify...
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 3rd Jun 19, 7:28 PM
    • 4,945 Posts
    • 2,576 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    Have looked at some of their other posts and it looks like they are considering buying a property in Lancashire so £50k probably is the correct figure
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 4th Jun 19, 11:26 AM
    • 7,351 Posts
    • 9,592 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    You'll need to let your new job know about you full time job and earnings so they can set up the appropriate tax code.

Check your contract with your main job - it mayrequire you to get their agreement bfore taking on a second job
    • chrisbur
    • By chrisbur 4th Jun 19, 1:25 PM
    • 3,200 Posts
    • 1,745 Thanks
    chrisbur
    You'll need to let your new job know about you full time job and earnings so they can set up the appropriate tax code.

Check your contract with your main job - it mayrequire you to get their agreement bfore taking on a second job
    Originally posted by TBagpuss
    You do not need to tell your new employer about your other earnings. You should declare that you have another job ( on a new starter checklist )and you will then be put onto BR tax code and pay 20% tax on all earnings in this job. This will result in the correct tax being deducted at the moment and would only need any adjustment if your combined incomes took you into the 40% tax band.
    If you declined to complete the new starter checklist then you would be put onto tax code 0T which would make no difference to the tax you pay.
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 4th Jun 19, 2:04 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 767 Thanks
    andydownes123

You don't need to do this. As long as combined you're within the threshold, no employer really needs to know the earnings from the other job.

Yes - some companies require exclusivity from you. I.e. first dibs at what hours/days they want you to do, not working for competitors etc.
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 5th Jun 19, 9:16 AM
    • 986 Posts
    • 980 Thanks
    General Grant
    You don't need to do this. As long as combined you're within the threshold, no employer really needs to know the earnings from the other job.

Yes - some companies require exclusivity from you. I.e. first dibs at what hours/days they want you to do, not working for competitors etc.
    Originally posted by andydownes123

There is no need for any employer to know the actual amount of earnings in the other job. All they have to do is operate using the BR tax code or one supplied by HMRC if different (in the instances where an employee asks them to split the code between the employers).
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 6th Jun 19, 4:13 PM
    • 6,341 Posts
    • 2,900 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Originally posted by andydownes123
    Every employer says that, even jobs on a 10 hour a week contract still expect you to be available at the drop of a hat 24/7. You just tell them what you can and can't work.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

134Posts Today

1,542Users online

Martin's Twitter