Travelling On

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,805
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Enjoy your trip tomorrow :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,669
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Glad the kitchen sounds like it's going well :) Hope you have an enjoyable time today! :)
    xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 13 May 2019 at 6:58AM
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Thanks everyone :) yes, I'm very chuffed, I can see how lovely it will be when its finished. The range is at the cheap end of what Wickes do, and the builder told me that all the carcasses of all the ranges are exactly the same - it's only the doors that are different. So I'm gladder than ever that I've got the cheapo :):):)

That's great to know about the carcasses:T. We are in the market for a new kitchen and as we've been shopping around have been amazed at the price differences between the different ranges even within the same brand:eek:. We don't want anything jaw-droppingly gorgeous, just something practical and built to last. Sounds like a cheaper range will be ideal. I wonder if that's just Wickes though or if all the suppliers are the same with using the same carcasses over all ranges. We are rather drawn to one of the Wren kitchens at the moment similar to one some friends have which is superb. Not sure if they are nationwide or more northern (like us) so you may not have heard of them. We did a quick Google of them though and saw a LOT of very detrimental info including a BBC Watchdog expose:(. Looks as if a lot of these adverse comments were from years ago though and the kitchen fitted for our friends last year was done with the nth degree of care and professionalism. The finish of the work and the units is superb so it makes us wonder just who we can believe or trust:eek:. I know you've had an excellent experience with Wickes but when we used them for our bathroom we were definitely NOT impressed:mad:. I suppose a lot of it is down to the local branch and whoever does the fitting.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I think people like us need to talk to one another as much as we can, Noella! I do know of Wren, but they were more money than I wanted to pay, so I didn't investigate further. I asked around my few local acquaintances, and four of them came up with Wickes and said everything was wonderful, I'm not kidding, so it made sense to go with them. However, the builders/actual people doing the fitting, are just as important - and mine have been great. The head honcho isn't wonderful at communication, but he's still one of the best I've experienced. And even with Wickes themselves, it depends on the branch, and where they're getting their staff from (staff's prior experience seems to matter a lot). I hope you get something that you're happy with.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks beanie, greent :) I tried to pace myself yesterday, with the result that I left myself too much to do this morning though it's basically all "find camera, hunt out stamp for birthday card", that sort of thing :) so it's getting done pretty well.

See you in a few days :wave:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,826
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    So glad you are happy with your kitchen Karma! Have a lovely time away!

(On the Wren kitchens thing, a family friend had an absolutely awful time - damaged units delivered/more damaged during fitting, the fitters broke the existing (and not intended to be replaced) front door and compensation/fixing it all was horrendous - I think two years later they finally got it all sorted. Having said that, another friend had them and had no problems. It all depends on customer care really.)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 13 May 2019 at 9:59AM
    themadvix wrote: »
    So glad you are happy with your kitchen Karma! Have a lovely time away!

(On the Wren kitchens thing, a family friend had an absolutely awful time - damaged units delivered/more damaged during fitting, the fitters broke the existing (and not intended to be replaced) front door and compensation/fixing it all was horrendous - I think two years later they finally got it all sorted. Having said that, another friend had them and had no problems. It all depends on customer care really.)

It sounds as if KC's experience with Wickes was absolutely perfect with great advice given but her own wants and needs fully understood and catered for. I wish her many happy years of enjoying the finished product.

Your comments about Wren has certainly given me more food for thought, Thank you:T. There are lots of adverse reports on Wren all over the internet but I often think people are quick to report bad service but very slow or don't even bother to report the good. Maybe I'm mistaken there though. It's good to have first hand experience from someone I 'know' like yourself. Our friends live reasonably near us and I expect the store/depot and fitters will all be the same that they used if we should opt for buying from Wren. They had nothing but praise for the whole process and I absolutely love their resulting kitchen and layout. We're still at the 'thinking about it' stage as we need a bit of work done on the back of the house anyway. We thought our friendly, local and 100% reliable builder could do the kitchen structural work before we consult the kitchen planners. It will probably work out cheaper that way, especially as he will be doing alterations on the adjoining room anyway.
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hope you are having (or maybe when you read this, have had) a lovely time away Karma!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • earthgirl wrote: »
    Hope you are having (or maybe when you read this, have had) a lovely time away Karma!

I second that, earhgirl:beer:
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,161
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Thanks greenbee :) with the lights, I've gravitated to them naturally, I *really* like the upside-down-tealight effect, and once I realised they had a remote and could change colour, I was sold :rotfl: everything is very plain, and I like the idea of a bit of fun.

WHAT ?????? WHY DIDNT I KNOW THIS ?????? All my favourite things right there- sparkles, remote control thingy, changing colour. I'm back off to have another look and work out where I can put one. Or two. :j:j:j:j:j:j:T:T:T:T:T

Daisy xxx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback