'Do you think you've been mis-sold gas and/or electricity? Please let me know' blog

Comments

• Perhaps it's written in the T&C that we all tick to say we've read, when really we haven't?!
  • uSwitch_company_representative
    uSwitch_company_representative Posts: 140 Organisation Representative
    wsanderson wrote: »
    This isn't relevant to the topic but I thought that MSE members and Martin would find it interesting.
    I received a phone call from Eon last night and one of their employees said that they had noticed I had been on USwitch to search for a dual fuel fixed deal and wondered if I would be interested in the latest Eon deals.
    I found this very disturbing, the fact that Eon can monitor people going onto a switching site, without their permission.
    I wondered if any other MSE members had experienced the same thing and whether monitoring like this is against the law?
    Hi wsanderson,

To reassure you we do not pass your details on E.ON if you've used uSwitch to do a comparison.

Perhaps the E.ON rep can shed some light on this?

Lauren
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of uSwitch. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • cmjj
    cmjj Posts: 11 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    When our fixed deal with Scottish Power came to an end in February, I researched very carefully to see where to go from there. Scottish Power had an attractive looking deal, fixed till 2014. When I rang them, the lady I spoke to said they could offer a fixed rate till 2014, costing us £117 per month. As this was £6 cheaper than the one we had been on, it seemed a pretty good way to go.

Fast forward 3 months, and I just happened to glance at my husband's bank statement (it's OK, I'm allowed), and I saw that SP had been taking £165 after the 1st month, although we'd had no advance warning of this. I was beyond angry about this, and after a heated couple of emails from me, in which I asked them to listen to the original conversation (they always say 'each conversation will be recorded for training purposes'), I had a sheepish phone call, offering an abject apology, as they agreed that the offer had been very clear. I was also refunded the difference between £165 and the agreed offer x 3.

Today, after I took meter readings as requested, I had another email, telling me that they were increasing my DD to £160, as we have a debit balance of £143. I've pointed out that this is the summer quarter and it will end up them owing me YET AGAIN, but as yet, they're sticking to it. I think an increase of £43 per month is totally outrageous, and I've told them I'm contacting MSE, because I feel that the original offer should have been upheld, and if it was unsustainable, it should never have been made. I really don't want another battle, but honestly, they make it impossible not to want to fight.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    savvy06 wrote: »
    Just wonder how many people know they have been "miss-sold". I suspect I may have been, more than once over the past few years, but the pricing is so complicated it is almost impossible to tell. If you find that you are paying more than you used to - but prices have gone up...??? The pricing need to be clearer and much more simple so that we have a chance to actually make a comparison!

Well said, that's the problem in a nutshell. How someone without A level maths is supposed to work it all out, take a view and make a choice is a mystery. A mystery beyond the grasp of many retired people on a fixed income in most need of finding the cheapest deal.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Hi wsanderson,

To reassure you we do not pass your details on E.ON if you've used uSwitch to do a comparison.

Perhaps the E.ON rep can shed some light on this?

Lauren

Hi,

We have been looking in to this issue and some of the comparison sites have a box that you would need to untick to stop your details being passed on.

This is not the case on USwitch though.

By leaving the box ticked, your details may be passed on to be contacted about further products and services.

Hope this helps.

Helena :)
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • 166million
    166million Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I don't know if it counts as mis-selling, as I compared and switched last time prices were due to rise. Previously we had electricity and gas with different companies, we were never in debit and paid I think £45 per month all together. Trying to find a cheaper deal I used comparison sites and switched to another company who advised me that the bills would definitely be cheaper. Direct Debit £40 per month for both gas and electricity, now we are regularly £100+ in the red and direct debit amount increased. I know we have to take the price rises into account but this seems ridiculously more expensive than what we had before. Now not sure what to do as I don't feel I can trust the comparison searches or the research I can do myself, let alone the companies themselves.
    **Debt Free as of 15:55 on Friday 23rd March 2012**And I am staying that way
    377 166million Sealed Pot Challenge 2018 :staradmin No. 90: Emergency fund £637
    My debt free diary http://http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3630099
  • Miroslav
    Miroslav Posts: 6,193 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I was told by an EON Rep that they were stopping standing charges on Electric Key Meters when I signed up in 2009? My first bill (and every bill since) has had standing charges on.

This was a Rep that had a pitch in my local supermarket.

I've learnt if something isn't broken, don't change supplier. Because of this I have a debt on the meter so I can't change supplier until this is paid.
  • JOHN1982
    JOHN1982 Posts: 364 Forumite
    I had an EDF salesman cold call at my apartment. He stated that he could save me money on my bill without even asking who I was with or what I was paying!

He told me that I would only pay £30 a month. I thought this was interesting as he still hadn't asked me about my usage!

When pressed, it turned out that he "meant" my Direct Debit would be fixed at £30 a month!

I wanted to give him a slap. I can imagine people will fall for this trick in thinking their bills will fall dramatically when in fact, when you go into the red and your payments need to be adjusted, you'll probably end up paying more!
    "The most desirable trait of the internet is the ability to attribute quotes to anyone."
    - Winston Churchill
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    166million wrote: »
    I don't know if it counts as mis-selling, as I compared and switched last time prices were due to rise. Previously we had electricity and gas with different companies, we were never in debit and paid I think £45 per month all together. Trying to find a cheaper deal I used comparison sites and switched to another company who advised me that the bills would definitely be cheaper. Direct Debit £40 per month for both gas and electricity, now we are regularly £100+ in the red and direct debit amount increased. I know we have to take the price rises into account but this seems ridiculously more expensive than what we had before. Now not sure what to do as I don't feel I can trust the comparison searches or the research I can do myself, let alone the companies themselves.
    If the comparrison website gave you the wrong figures then I'd describe that as mis-selling.
    Can you post the details of unit prices and charges you were paying and what you are now paying? Then someone should be able to work out whether it was actually a good deal at the time or not.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Miroslav wrote: »
    I was told by an EON Rep that they were stopping standing charges on Electric Key Meters when I signed up in 2009? My first bill (and every bill since) has had standing charges on.

This was a Rep that had a pitch in my local supermarket.

I've learnt if something isn't broken, don't change supplier. Because of this I have a debt on the meter so I can't change supplier until this is paid.

Hi Miroslav

I'm sorry our rep gave you the wrong information in your local supermarket.

In July 2009, we removed the Standing Charge on gas prepayment meters but not the electric. This is still in place.

If you believe the rep deliberately gave you incorrect information then I would encourage you to raise this with our Sales Compliance team as a complaint.

We take such matters very seriously and this team will investigate, report back and put measures in place to prevent a repeat.

Just a quick heads up Miroslav; debt on a prepayment meter will not necessarily stop you changing supplier. Provided the current debt is less than £200 and there are no ongoing disputes, you can change supplier and take the debt with you.

This is through a process known as the Debt Assignment Protocol (DAP). A process brought in by Ofgem and covering all the main suppliers as part of the licence agreement.

If you would like to arrange a switch under the terms of the DAP, please contact your preferred supplier and ask them to start the process.

Hope this is of interest. Give me a shout if you need any more info as will be happy to help.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure