PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,668
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Billie-Jo, my DH is diabetic. We only ever get lucozade when half price. Otherwise he get's Tesco active (orange, cos he prefers orange lucozade) or Mr A's own. Also Aldi do one which he doesn't mind too. MUCH cheaper and still does the trick! :D
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • jintyb
    jintyb Posts: 1,758
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi there, havent posted for ages, but have been keeping up with the posts. Doing ok this month - have @ £36 left, my month ends on the 20th so its doable! We're off on hols on Friday, but its self catering so I'll use what money Ive got left to stock up on basics for taking with us. We will be eating out while were away, but that comes from the holiday fund. Aiming for under budget ( famous last words!):rotfl:

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • Good morning everyone,

franby64: I agree, shrinking is very sneaky. I think that happens a lot on biscuits and cakes so I don't buy them very often. I also think packaging with false bottoms is also sneaky. You know when the tub of ice cream is only half the depth on the inside than it appears on the outside.

Hope everyone has a frugal day.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Morning shoppers :D

Yesterday i went to buy a sack of dog food and almost picked up one which was on offer, the offer one was £14.99 and the one that i usually buy was £15.99 so i was thinking that i would save a pound, just before i lugged it off the shelf i checked the weights and the one i usually buy was 15k and the offer one was only 12.5k. Good job that i checked :eek:

I`ll update my siggy later when i`ve spoken to DH as he has one of the receipts in his wallet that i need to check the total of.

I`m hoping for a good month this time around as when my kitchen cupboards are all fitted i need some funds to stock them all up :D I`m really looking forward to it as in our last house everything was full, rotated and organised. Since we moved i`ve not been able to unpack all my bits and bobs properly as there wasn`t much storage and what we did have has been ripped out and we have been living out of boxes for months.

I may have one useable cupboard later :D fingers crossed :D

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    savvyshe wrote: »
    ... We love caravanning and have a small but very lovely 17 year old caravan and have in the past longed to change it for a new all singing and dancing one and nearly on more than one occasion been nearly tempted. But honestly after looking yesterday we got in the car and both said we were not in the slightest excited by them ...

you might like this link which I just posted on another thread - scroll down the page and take a look at Constance :)

NSD again for me - I'll be baking later; I did some last week but after visitors and sharing with my elderly auntie, there isn't much left; so making pear and chocolate upside-down pudding plus chocolate cakes, maybe brownies, for today I think.

I'm still eating out of the freezer and today its sausage casserole (last portion).

I had a couple of tired looking swedes in the rack so yesterday I steamed and mashed them with butter and black pepper, and they're now in the freezer in portion size packs. I hate waste!

Have a good day everyone, good luck with the budget! ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • chewy62
    chewy62 Posts: 192 Forumite
    Just popping in to say I have £140 left of my food budget, 3 weeks still to go but have done a meal plan for the whole month!
    Quite hard to stick to it rigidly though, but as long as I know I've got all the ingredients for dinners, all I need to buy are things like bread, milk and fruit etc.
    Wish me luck!
    Sept. grocery challenge = £500 (221.60 so far!;))
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Off to the shops in a minute (have to pop in at uni first).
    I have a list and am aiming to spend about £30 but who knows! It never seems to go to plan!
    I'll report in later with the damage!
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Thanks to Keiss21 and greent about the Lucozade substitutes in T*sco and A*di.
    Went into I*eland today and there Lucozade was on offer for £1 (paid £1.99 yesterday) so got one of those to keep in and when go main shopping will look at the T*sco ones. :)

Was’nt going to spend anything today but then had to take daughter to shops and needless to say brought a few things. :( Milk is still on offer in I*eland at 50p each if you have 4 x1ltr cartons so brought 12 and also the lucozade as mentioned and then into green grocers for some asparagus, brocolli, tomatoes (again), cauli (39p but 89p in T*sco) and rhubarb. Will freeze this and have a crumble at the weekend I think. Asked how much a big bag of onions would be as we eat lots of these but even the greengrocer said they were expensive at the moment at £12 per sack!!!! :eek:
    Total of £17.60 spent . It is most definitely these top up shops that cost the most. :(

Signature is updated to include todays spend. Going to try for NSD now until T*sco shop on Thursday so wish me luck. :rotfl:
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • Spent to much this weekend:( £39 all together and really we could have done without it. I'm so mad with myself:mad:

Better go and update my sig.
    You learn to love to live
    You fight and you forgive
    You face the darkest night
    Just live before you die
  • Hi All

Not doing so good on my spending. really need to concentrate as have 2 weeks left.:(
    :hello:SadSadJenJen
    url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]3652140.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills