PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

christmas pudding recipes?

Options

Comments

• FZwanab
    FZwanab Posts: 472 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Hi, I found one from an old prima circa 2005/2006 and it is called Christmas Figgy pudding and has ready to eat figs in it. If this is the one you are after I will type it out for you.
    Penny xxx
    Old age isn't bad when you consider the alternative.
  • Ishtar
    Ishtar Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    FZwanab wrote: »
    Hi, I found one from an old prima circa 2005/2006 and it is called Christmas Figgy pudding and has ready to eat figs in it. If this is the one you are after I will type it out for you.

Thanks FZwanab - sounds like it could be the one - I remember it had ready-to-eat dried fruit in it! If you wouldn't mind typing it out that would be great....

Thanks again.
    D
  • FZwanab
    FZwanab Posts: 472 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Hi,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you, here is the recipe that I hope is the one you wanted:

Christmas Figgy Pudding:

A dark, moist pudding with chewy figs and a hint of ginger.

Serves 12, Prep 15 mins, plus soaking overnight. Cook 3 hours. Cost per portion 37p. Cals per portion 320, fat per portion 14g, carbs per portion 43g.

225g ready to eat figs, roughly chopped
    125g raisins
    125g prunes, roughly chopped
    100ml brandy
    75g plain flour
    75g breadcrumbs
    125g light suet
    125g brown sugar
    50g brazil nuts, chopped
    2 tsp ground ginger
    1tsp ground cloves
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 tblsp black treacle
    You will need a 1.1 litre pudding basin, greased with a circle of grease proof paper on the base.

1. In a bowl add figs, raisins and prunes, and add brandy. Cover and leave to soak overnight.
    2. In another bowl, mix flour, breadcrumbs, suet and sugar. Add nuts, spices, eggs and treacle and mix well. Tip in fruit and stir until combined. It should be a moist dropping consistency. If it is a bit dry add a splash more brandy or orange juice. Pile mixture into prepared pudding basin and use a spoon to level top.
    3. Add a layer of pleated greaseproof paper over mixture and top with a sheet of pleated tinfoil that overlaps rim of basin. Tie a double length of string around rim to secure the foil, adding a loop over top to form a handle. Place basin in a large saucepan and pour in enough hot water to come half way up sides of basin. Cover with a lid and boil gently for 3 hours, topping up the water level as necessary.
    4. Remove and re-top with clean greaseproof paper and tinfoil, and store in a cool, dry place until Christmas.

Hope that helps you and sorry for the delay in posting.
    Penny xxx
    Old age isn't bad when you consider the alternative.
  • Ishtar
    Ishtar Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you so much, FZwanab! It's very kind of you to type it out. It's very similar to the one I've lost - I can crack on with it now....

I knew that if I asked on here someone would be able to help. What a great bunch of people you are!

Cheers
    D
    x
  • nannysue_3
    Options
    :confused: Hi All

Years ago my mum had a recipe for Christmas Pudding made with carrots. Apparently it was issued by the War Ministry. It was absolutley delicious but we seem to have lost the recipe and mum can't remember how she made it (well she is 85 now!)
    Anyone have any ideas on this.

Thanks in advance

Nannysue:confused:
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • nannysue_3
    Options
    newlywed wrote: »

Just had a read. It could well be. I'll run it past mum.

Thanks for your help.

Nannysue:beer:
  • angelpye
    angelpye Posts: 995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,
    Just wondering if any of you have a recipe for Christmas Puddings that was in the Guardian/ Observer recipes two years ago. It was a fab recipe with almonds etc and I think it was by someone like Nigel Slater.

We made loads and gave them as part presents and I would really like to do it again - problem is the recipe is gone!!!:eek:

I know its a long shot but thought if anyone would have it then it would be one of you!;)

many thanks in advance
    angelpye
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: [STRIKE]Sept 2022[/STRIKE] April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6 :j
    EF £0/£4200
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    angelpye wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Just wondering if any of you have a recipe for Christmas Puddings that was in the Guardian/ Observer recipes two years ago. It was a fab recipe with almonds etc and I think it was by someone like Nigel Slater.

We made loads and gave them as part presents and I would really like to do it again - problem is the recipe is gone!!!:eek:

I know its a long shot but thought if anyone would have it then it would be one of you!;)

many thanks in advance
    angelpye

I make this one, and it's delicious :D The only Guardian one I can find is from 2005 :confused: I seem to remember one from last year, but can't find it :confused:

I'll add this to the exisitng C*** pudding thread later (sorry, my keyboard won't type the C-word before December :p )

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 454 Forumite
    Options
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts