Joint secured loan on a repossed sole property

Hi,
Has anyone got any advice how I can clean my credit rating up as I left my ex husband due to domestic abuse (mainly financial) we had a joint flat/deed then bought our family house but because he knew dodgey mortgage advisors we got the mortgage/deeds in his sole name. I left with the kids and went into refuge. He ended up losing the house because funding his drug addiction came first. Blackhorse are not chasing me, the account is closed and they said that if they chase anyone it would be him. Yet, £22k+ is still on my credit file. I know I have signed documents to get the loan - which started off as £5k from our joint account and somehow grew to this amount !!!129335;!!!127996;!!!8205;!!!9792;!!!65039;!!!129318;!!!127996;!!!8205;!!!9792;!!!65039; Last time I spoke to them was about 2013/14. How can I get rid??
Tia! X

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 June 2018 at 7:26PM
    Bidget79 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Has anyone got any advice how I can clean my credit rating up as I left my ex husband due to domestic abuse (mainly financial) we had a joint flat/deed then bought our family house but because he knew dodgey mortgage advisors we got the mortgage/deeds in his sole name. I left with the kids and went into refuge. He ended up losing the house because funding his drug addiction came first. Blackhorse are not chasing me, the account is closed and they said that if they chase anyone it would be him. Yet, £22k+ is still on my credit file. I know I have signed documents to get the loan - which started off as £5k from our joint account and somehow grew to this amount !!!129335;!!!127996;!!!8205;!!!9792;!!!65039;!!!129318;!!!127996;!!!8205;!!!9792;!!!65039; Last time I spoke to them was about 2013/14. How can I get rid??
    Tia! X

How can you get rid of the joint loan ?

Well it needs to be paid off for that to happen.

Its your credit history your tidying up, your rating/score isn't seen by anyone but you.

Unless you wait it out for the 6 year period to go by and you could be free.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    ...Unless you wait it out for the 6 year period to go by and you could be free.

12 years for secured debt.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    antrobus wrote: »
    12 years for secured debt.

Thanks Antrobus.
  • Thank you both - that!!!8217;s what I thought x
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,490 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    You have said 'Blackhorse are not chasing me, the account is closed and they said that if they chase anyone it would be him.'

So there seems little point in you actually addressing this by payment or insolvency, although technically they could take court action against you for 12 years.

However '£22k+ is still on my credit file. ' Yes, and probably a default too. Fortunately the whole entry disappears 6 years after the registered default date.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So I'm assuming they are not pursuing you because its deemed the loan was taken out under duress as you were subjected to domestic violence. The default will be on your file but BH have made a decision to not pursue. I suppose it depends if they sell it on as someone else could then pursue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure