How Long to Get an ATM Non-Dispersal Refund?

I tried to use my Caxton currency card whilst in Spain to draw 300 euros and basically it didn't give me the money or the card back. After going into the bank they gave me back my card but no money and asked me to try it again which I did but it responded with "Contact your bank". When I got home and checked the 300 euros had gone from my account. I went back to the bank 4 times after they promised me when the machine was opened I would get back the money. Then on the last visit they said they couldn't give it to me and I had to raise it with my Caxton bank. I have raised a Transaction dispute with them but they said it could be a lengthy process depending on the banks and how quick they respond and stated it could take up to 45 days :mad: I am really annoyed about this but can't seem to get any response from the bank on how long it will take even though it was very straightforward, a technical issue according to the Spanish bank who said their head office was dealing with it.

Has this happened to anyone else and how long did they have to wait to get their money back? These banks seems to think you are made of money :mad:

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Caxton will have to raise a query about a missdispense to their head office who will pass it on to the branch who will balance and check the ATM - so how long will it take?
    It will take however long it takes - chase them up after 45 days if you have not heard anything.
  • Leodogger
    Leodogger Posts: 1,274 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have read today that all banks legally only have 45 days to deal with a dispute, so if they don't sort it I will be writing to the Ombudsman or whoever it is that deals with such things!
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    JWhite wrote: »
    I have read today that all banks legally only have 45 days to deal with a dispute, so if they don't sort it I will be writing to the Ombudsman or whoever it is that deals with such things!

Is this a EU directive or UK legislation bearing in mind he withdrew from a Spanish bank in Spain?
    If it was a UK based bank and withdrawal I would agree with you.
  • Leodogger
    I withdrew the money from a Spanish bank but the bank manager told me that their head office would liase with Caxton to refund the money. As the transaction was made on a Caxton card and I had to lodge the dispute with Caxton, it is down to Caxton to refund the money to my account which would mean Caxton is responsible and they are based in London, they abide by UK rules which no doubt also come under EU rules as we are ruled by the EU unfortunately as with everything else.
  • Leodogger
    edited 19 July 2018 at 11:13AM
    Can anyone tell me if I am entitled to interest on my 300 euros non dispersal from the ATM machine which occurred on 14/6/18 and I still have not yet received the money back into my account despite the bank in Spain telling me and showing me their computer audit trail of the money being credited back by their head office to my receiving Master Card account on 4/7/18 ? They told me it could take 10 working days to arrive back in my account, it is now 15 days since it was credited back. Caxton who issued the Mastercard have told me they will not chase until 45 days has elapsed or 2/8. Am I entitled to interest on the 300 euros owed to me when I get it back?
  • No.

Besides it would be mere pennies
  • Leodogger
    !!! wrote: »
    No.

Besides it would be mere pennies

Amazing then that if I owed THEM 300 euros for 6 wks I would be charged interest plus the inconvenience of having to be stood out of 300 euros through no fault of my own, you would think they would pay compensation.
  • Leodogger
    edited 8 August 2018 at 10:19AM
    Just to update anyone that may be interested, I finally received a payment back into my Caxton account after waiting for 8 weeks for it to be repaid ! From what I can see they have not paid me back 300 euros as they have paid it in Sterling and the amount does not equate to the euro rate I purchased them at on 14/6/18. Even using their date of "transaction dispute" I lodged of 17/6/18 I still worked out that I am 7 euros short and despite this as I say they have paid it back in Sterling which I presume I will now have to pay a fee to download in euros.

Update : Caxton have now agreed to pay me a credit and convert the sterling balance to euros so that I have not lost out on the original 300 euros, so I have got back what I lost at the ATM. It is a lesson though for anyone that this happens to in that you may have to wait 8 weeks to get your money back all because a machine fails to cough up your cash!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure