Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World

Options

Comments

• sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

After the week of deep clean last week at work, I am now deep cleaning my brother's one bedroom flat. He has skin cancer, angina, high blood pressure and he is insulin dependent because of his type 1 Diabetes.

I have been reading all of your posts every day, but I have been so busy I have not had time to make any comments.
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 April 2017 at 9:42AM
    Options
    Morning ladies,

A beautiful sunny morning here if a tad cold, it certainly makes a real difference to my frame of mind and lifts my spirits no end.
    Had my haircut yesterday afternoon and went prepared with a few ideas of how I would like my hair to be, my lovely hairdresser talked through the pros and cons of each and we have decided on a new style to aim for. I would post a link but my tablet seems to have problems coping with such a thing, it's a softly layered bob at the front with a shorter layers cut into the neck at the back if that makes sense! Given I have a slight wave in my hair my hairdresser thinks it would suit but as he wisely pointed out if it doesn't it's not permanent and we can think again.
    I did pick up a new Breton top, red and cream stripes with 3/4 sleeves and buttons at the side, tres jolly :)
    You all piqued my curiosity so I did my colours and was surprised to see that I am also summer but looking at the colours they do seem to be many there that I automatically gravitate to already, what I do like about that site though is the way they put the colours together for you, in combinations that I hadn't thought of so many thanks for the heads up.

I found your post re natural remedies very thought provoking LL it's something that I am very interested in as have used herbs in the past for natural remedies, sage for sore throats, fever few for bad heads etc but it's something that has slide away in the last couple of years. Must be remedied (pardon the pun) :rotfl:
    The big pharma companies have no interest in looking at alternative solutions, it's simply not beneficial to their business models so they just keep pushing drugs at us but now there is the real possibility of the human race becoming immune to most antibiotics? A worrying thought.

Sorry, will step off soapbox! Hope everyone has a good day and you get chance to rest Sugarbaby x
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Indie.......how astonishing that M&S could get bra fittings so wrong. One of the issues that we generous bosomed types have is that incorrect fitting bras can lead to back and shoulder problems so getting the sizing right isnt just about looking nice.

Yes I read that you don't change seasons so I was surprised by the results. Perhaps it's that my hair has changed so drastically, from auburn to white. And of course with such a marked change then skin tones change too. My skin used to be a pale olive like the Belgian side of the family but it does seem fairer now, although that maybe that's because I'm still below par. Maybe a return to full health might bring the roses back to my cheeks.

I just knew that the lovely "autumn leaves" colours that I always liked so much just seem to drain me now so I had already started to try softer colours.

Looks like another sunny day here. :D. So will get out later. I'm walking each day and have managed to lose a couple of pounds this week so quite pleased with my progress.

Sugarbaby......good to see you back, hope you are feeling better.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's very good of you to clean your brother's place sugarbaby. A bit of a busman's holiday for you but I'm sure he'll feel happier in his home as a result.

I've been keeping up on the thread too but not posting much. I suppose it's a bit like conversations in RL, sometimes I like to just listen other times I can be very opinionated.:o

I had a go at the colour quiz but gave up. Maybe I'll have another go when I'm in a different frame of mind. I felt as if I was giving random answers to the questions so that whatever the outcome I wouldn't believe it.

I'm fortunate that I've very little grey hair so it's easily disguised by highlights. I've booked a half head in with my cut on Monday as I find this better (little and often) than waiting until it needs it desperately. My hairstyle sounds similar to your new one Lainey. I have the bob cut into the back of my neck but much fuller and longer at the front. It looks best with a regular cut to keep the shape sharp.

I'm another not surprised that M&S got it wrong. My best two fittings have been in independent shops. I think M& S have gone downhill across the boards. One is a department store and I was disappointed on my last visit as they seemed short of staff so the assistant was finding it hard to cope with me and other customers at the same time. I said I'd go back but I haven't. Cutting back on staff seems a sign of the times.:( The other is a shop that just does lingerie and swimwear in a nearby town so I think I might go there soon.

Good news about your weightloss LL and well done for keeping up the daily walk. Someone told me the other day that it's good for mood to achieve at least one thing a day, ideally going out and either meeting people or getting fresh air and exercise. If you're a list person then writing it down helps too so you can actually see what you've achieved.

I think you could become addicted to dancing indie.:D I'm delighted that I've joined this new group as the dancing is so exhilarating ( the other group had got so stale).

Bright and mild here. Enjoy your day everyone.:)
  • Angel_Jenny
    Angel_Jenny Posts: 3,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have been reading along but have been too shy to post!

I just did the kettlewell colour test and I came out as a Summer ..... I was surprised (maybe I did it wrong?!) as I have mid/darkish brown hair, bluey greeny eyes and pale skin. I guess I just assumed I would be a Spring or Winter. I figured I wouldn't be an Autumn as orangey brown rust colours make me look ill. x
  • lessonlearned
    edited 5 April 2017 at 3:16PM
    Options
    Hi Angel-Jenny. Welcome to the thread. Glad you have come out of lurkdom.;). There's no need to be shy, we might bark now and again but we don't bite. :rotfl:

I seem to recall that Kate Middleton (or should I say HRH Princess of Wales now) was one of the examples of summer ladies and she has dark hair too. So I guess it's not just down to hair colour.

And the Queen and she too had dark hair as a young woman.

One thing I do know is that in my "autumn days" I could never wear pink after the age of 20, it just looked awful although I did wear it as a teenAger. Now I can wear it again. In fact I went mad and bought a pink coat for spring and I love it.

Maybe we just change over the years, our hair obviously, but also our skin tones, and maybe even our eyes change. I know mine have. When I was young they were dark brown, now they lighter and appear more hazel and they tend to pick up and reflect the colours I am wearing.

i don't know if this is a common phenomena or just me being weird. It's not a health issue, my eyes are still perfectly ok, so I'm not sure if Changing eye colour is normal or not.
  • indiepanda
    indiepanda Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes I read that you don't change seasons so I was surprised by the results. Perhaps it's that my hair has changed so drastically, from auburn to white. And of course with such a marked change then skin tones change too. My skin used to be a pale olive like the Belgian side of the family but it does seem fairer now, although that maybe that's because I'm still below par. Maybe a return to full health might bring the roses back to my cheeks.

I just knew that the lovely "autumn leaves" colours that I always liked so much just seem to drain me now so I had already started to try softer colours.

I read a blog - on the House of Colour website about change in someone's colours as they had aged which was quite interesting:-
    https://www.houseofcolour.co.uk/blog/colours-as-we-age

There was also this short video about an autumn who was having colours re-rated after over 20 years:-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMTAIsQQ4zo&feature=youtu.be
    basically showing how the colours within her palete that really suited her had changed - lighter ones than had suited her previously and commenting on hair colouring as we age too.

But of course there is some overlap between palettes anyway as you can see with Kettlewell saying that certain colours work for more than one season - and it's not just a case of warm ones being in autumn and spring's palette and cool in winter and summer. There's some muted colours that cross autumn and summer and clear/brights that cross spring and winter for example, and some colours that work for three seasons or even all four (pure red). Kettlewell show their seaspray, heliotrope, sultry navy and quite a few of the other blues in the autumn palette also in the summer palette.

I don't think it's automatic you need to be olive toned to be autumn. I am pretty much english rose skin tone and very fair, but the underlying tone is still warm (as I knew from having foundation matched years before I had colours done), my eyes are very warm green / hazel - lots of yellow flecks - and my mid brown hair is a warm shade (albeit not quite the coppery brown I have it dyed). Maybe you have lost the warmth in your skin due to ill health though - it's odd what health changes can do to the body. I started going bald during one period of stress years ago... thank goodness I got over that.

Still getting used to the new bras... not used to having something so tight against my chest, feels quite uncomfortable but I expect it is more supportive.

Measured my waist and hips this morning, really interesting to see how my waist to hip ratio has dramatically changed. I've lost about 3 inches off the hips but about 7 off the waist so waist to hip ratio has shifted from 91% to 81%. Apparently over 85% is considered to be obese and over 80% to be overweight, under 80% is healthy, so I don't have far to go on that basis. However, it could all still be quite a bit firmer...

Interestingly I read one article saying you should aim to keep your waist under half your height - so that would mean under 32 inches for me - am currently 34 so that seems very achievable.

Right, must shift myself or I will be late for work. I did go to Ceroc last night and am off the theatre to see 42 Street tonight but am going to work from home tomorrow so I can lie in a bit - use my commute time to sleep and work in my pajamas if I feel like it!

Have a fab day all x
  • maman
    Options
    42nd Street has had rave reviews indie. I'm sure you'll love it.:)

I've spent some time fabbing this morning. Yesterday evening I was in the city centre in the early evening so it was really quiet. I took the opportunity to ask on the Clinique counter in Boots about a cleanser to go with my brush. They gave me a sample (generous 30 ml) which I've used this morning and it foams up well so definitely on my list for when I've finished the current one. She also gave me a small pot of face mask (looks like mud) which is meant to help pores. Also done my hair and creamed all over.

Another thing I did was take up my hunt for a denim skirt. I want an above the knee (but not mini) style, A line (not pencil), darkish blue and I don't really fancy button through. I saw one in Fat Face at £45 which I thought was a bit steep until I saw that John Lewis own brand was the same price. I'll keep looking and may try on the Fat Face one.

It's a beautiful day and I'm planning to go out later. I'm just going to browse the local market town, buy a few bits (like cards and fun things) and after this week's conversation I might see if the bra fitter is busy.:)

Have a good day all.
  • lessonlearned
    edited 6 April 2017 at 4:30PM
    Options
    Hello lovely ladies

Indie.....thanks for those links. I used to wear all those colours in the first Autumn example and they were right for me but the recommended brighter versions in the second example just seem too "garish" for me,. I that before I restock my wardrobe next winter (hopefully a couple of sizes smaller!!!) I think I will have a colour refresh session because I am still a bit confused. As you say being a bit below par might be why my skin colour has changed.

Even more reason to get out in the fresh air......apparently we are in for a nice warm weekend so I shall make a point of soaking up some sun.

I'm eating well, sleping better and exercising gently, taking vitamins etc so I'm sure I'll see an improvement before too long. Hopefully the sun will work its magic over the summer.

Theres not much else you can do with these endocrine type problems. The body heals itself and the systems rebalance, all in their own good time. I can Remember when DS1 had glandular fever. He was about 10 and he looked very washed out too. Once he started picking up his colour soon came back.

Met my sister for lunch. It went well and it was good to see her. I think we are over the worst. She knows she went too far and I do believe she is genuinely sorry. I am content to "let sleeping dogs lie", even if we can't go back to our old free and easy "special relationship" we have at least been able to salvage something. I'm happy enough.

I popped into "Primarni" :rotfl: and bought a few simple tops, t shirts and a couple of cardigans. Mainly different shades of blues, turquoise and soft greens and pale greys. Nothing exciting, basically for "knocking about in" as mum used to say. Mainly for just lounging around in at home.

Although I no longer save things for Sunday Best as such I don't really like wearing my nicest things lolling around the house but then I don't want to look like a bag Lady either. So my solution is a few cheap and cheerful bits from primark to fill the gap. I got a bag full for £36. :rotfl:

I never know what to think though, half of me feels guilty because I do wonder about the conditions of the work force. But then if we were to boycott cheap fashion would they all be thrown out of work and end up even worse off.

I've read up about this quite a lot and watched several documentaries and still don't have any answers. The galling thing is even when we do pay higher prices it's still no guarantee that the workforce have better conditions because often the goods are all made in the same factories anyway.

Apparently even a high end designer Label is no guarantee that the workers enjoy better pay and conditions. :o

Feeling tired now so a nice easy dinner and a quiet night on the sofa.
  • maman
    Options
    I think you're right LL. All sorts of companies outsource manufacturing and I think there have been improvements as reputation is at risk.
    Glad the lunch with your sister went well. :)

I went shopping today and, as luck would have it, the independent store had 20% off for all fitted bras. I've changed size as I've lost weight. Now 32F:eek: Apparently it's important to have the back fitting properly to stop it riding up. I bought one flesh colour as it'll go with most things. Now I'll look regularly for this new size in TKMaxx.

I tried on the denim skirt in Fat Face. The 12 was too big.:D I think I'll wait a bit and see if they send me a discount code, they often do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure