Barclaycard Platinum Travel CC

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    bigadaj wrote: »
    You seem to have misunderstood, barclaycard won't charge you but any bank or ATM network might, they have no control over this.

We're currently in Thailand and everywhere pretty much charges a hefty fee so we've gone pretty much cash only.

Only Bank of China will not, but your VISA card is likely not compatible. Mastercard only I think.
    You'd have probably left by now anyway.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Only Bank of China will not, but your VISA card is likely not compatible. Mastercard only I think.
    You'd have probably left by now anyway.

Their website states a 3% fee for MasterCard, assuming you can find and want to trek to a specific branch when you're on holiday with the associated time and cost.

We did pretty much everything in cash and it was fine, a couple of places took cards for food or accommodation and some was also pre booked by credit card.

To be fair the exchange rates are very keen at the bureau, so apart from the risk of losing or getting stolen the cash you carry, you aren't losing out with changing cash, unlike most countries.
  • EveryWhere
    Their website states a 3% fee for MasterCard, assuming you can find and want to trek to a specific branch when you're on holiday with the associated time and cost.

We did pretty much everything in cash and it was fine, a couple of places took cards for food or accommodation and some was also pre booked by credit card.

To be fair the exchange rates are very keen at the bureau, so apart from the risk of losing or getting stolen the cash you carry, you aren't losing out with changing cash, unlike most countries.

What are you talking? :) Are you suggesting that the Bank of China (Thailand)'s website states that it levies 3% at the ATM for withdrawals?
    You know you have misunderstood what you have read, don't you? You probably have read what they charge to their own cardholders for particular transactions.

There is no charge for ATM withdrawals to you.

Though on the cash front you are right, the best bureau de change offer keen rates; Super Rich Thailand at BKK being a case in point.
    Though it isn't always convenient to carry wedges of cash around, so it's useful to have options. Bank of China(Thailand) being one of them.
  • I used to have a Norwich and Peterborough current account and they closed down all these in August 2017. I have a trip in January/ February 2017 in which I will be visiting Turkey, India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, the Philippines and Singapore. I have a Halifax Clarity credit card. I don't like coming home to debt. I wouldn't like to get cash out using a credit card. I am thinking of getting a Virgin Essentials current account however to take cash out from an ATM would be £1.50 each time abroad.
  • EveryWhere
    I used to have a Norwich and Peterborough current account and they closed down all these in August 2017. I have a trip in January/ February 2017 in which I will be visiting Turkey, India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, the Philippines and Singapore. I have a Halifax Clarity credit card. I don't like coming home to debt. I wouldn't like to get cash out using a credit card. I am thinking of getting a Virgin Essentials current account however to take cash out from an ATM would be £1.50 each time abroad.

starlingbank.com/travel/
  • bigadaj
    What are you talking? :) Are you suggesting that the Bank of China (Thailand)'s website states that it levies 3% at the ATM for withdrawals?
    You know you have misunderstood what you have read, don't you? You probably have read what they charge to their own cardholders for particular transactions.

There is no charge for ATM withdrawals to you.

Though on the cash front you are right, the best bureau de change offer keen rates; Super Rich Thailand at BKK being a case in point.
    Though it isn't always convenient to carry wedges of cash around, so it's useful to have options. Bank of China(Thailand) being one of them.

How many branches do they have?
  • I used to have a Norwich and Peterborough current account and they closed down all these in August 2017. I have a trip in January/ February 2017 in which I will be visiting Turkey, India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, the Philippines and Singapore. I have a Halifax Clarity credit card. I don't like coming home to debt. I wouldn't like to get cash out using a credit card. I am thinking of getting a Virgin Essentials current account however to take cash out from an ATM would be £1.50 each time abroad.

I use Starling bank for this... I got rid of my Virgin account when they swapped from Visa to Mastercard (Visa was useful for CostCo in the USA).

Same rate as Starling, but Starling doesn't have the £1.50 fee!
  • Marksfish
    Marksfish Posts: 268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I wouldn't like to get cash out using a credit card.

Why not? I too was a N&P customer and have taken out this Barclaycard specifically for the (Barclaycard) fee free ATM withdrawals (until 2022 if I remember right). It works the same way as your debit card did at N&P and if you don't like the idea of coming home to a debit balance, pay it off on the app when you see the amount confirmed on your account. It can save you £'s in currency conversion, why let the banks profit?

Mark
  • EveryWhere
    How many branches do they have?

Are you unable to research that for yourself??

An intelligent person will create options for themselves. Bank of China(Thailand) is an option.. Withdrawing over the counter with a suitable card, such as the card in topic, is another option. Carrying an amount of cash in £s, another option.

No one has suggested that one should depend on Bank of China(Thailand) as their sole source of foreign currency.

It is an option. Better to know about it, than to not.

Now you have three options.
  • bigadaj
    Are you unable to research that for yourself??

An intelligent person will create options for themselves. Bank of China(Thailand) is an option.. Withdrawing over the counter with a suitable card, such as the card in topic, is another option. Carrying an amount of cash in £s, another option.

No one has suggested that one should depend on Bank of China(Thailand) as their sole source of foreign currency.

It is an option. Better to know about it, than to not.

Now you have three options.

Yup, thought so, you've answered the question, somewhat verbosely.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure