Recommended bank to open Executors account?

Comments

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Some of my observations:-
    When my mother died last October I tried to open Executor's accounts at my own banks - a)NatWest -refused without any reason, even tho' I've been a customer of theirs for nearly 50 years!! b) Santander -gave my an appointment,then phoned me at home to cancel because as my Mother had been a customer of Lloyds not Santander, they could not satisfy their internal regulations re money laundering!!!
    I then travelled to her own branch of Lloyds, and went thru it with the manager -he could see no problems - but it took several attempts and nearly two months before an account was set up !!

And don't get me started with the attempt to "freeze" my mother's current account - they carried on paying out S.Os and allowed incorrect DDs -then had the cheek to send letters addressed to "My mother deceased,deceased" raising bank charges -when I phoned them I was told that they had no record of her death !:mad:

Anyone would think that death was a rare occurrence !!!:eek:
  • I found HSBC very helpful when no one else seemed to want to know. Still having the thick end of half a million on which your paying no interest and only had a handful of transactions to deal with for a year must be good business.
  • I did not wish to use the bank which the deceased banked with, because they had treated me inappropriately when I registered a LPA, resulting in a complaint to the Ombudsman, which led to a compensation payment. So when it came to opening an Executor account I couldn't stand that bank because of the way they had treated me and mum previously. My own bank didn't offer an Exec account, and no other bank would allow me to open an account, or, if they did, there was no interest on sums paid in. So I opened an account that is linked to my current account, which pays around 1% interest. The PO and some building socs offer such accounts and I explained it was for probate and they allowed me to open it.
  • brewerdave
    ..... So I opened an account that is linked to my current account, which pays around 1% interest. The PO and some building socs offer such accounts and I explained it was for probate and they allowed me to open it.

Interesting......several of the financial institutions that I've dealt with after my mother's death, told me that they would only pay the money into either an executor's account or a solicitor's account after probate was granted because the sums were greater than their internal limits for releasing monies on an indemnity.
    Has created considerable problems with what was otherwise a straight forward estate.:(
  • None of it has been easy. My own bank's probate team told me they could open an Executor account, then when I went in to a branch to speak to someone, they said they didn't do Exec accounts at all, but I could just open a new account online and call it an 'Exec Account' and use it for that purpose. They suggested I pop into the bank next door, a related financial institution.

But the bank next door did have exec accounts. However, they wouldn't open an account for me. Despite their relationship with my bank.
  • GaleSF63
    GaleSF63 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    WYSPECIAL wrote: »
    I found HSBC very helpful when no one else seemed to want to know. Still having the thick end of half a million on which your paying no interest and only had a handful of transactions to deal with for a year must be good business.

I didn't open an executor's account for my mother (and was lucky that only one cheque was made out to executor) but her money was with HSBC in various forms so I had a number of dealings with their bereavement section and they were very easy to deal with, and efficient from start to finish.

(The one cheque made out to executor I paid into my TSB current account, showing the counter staff the grant of probate with my name on. It was a very small cheque though.)
  • there seem to be different definitions of what an executor's account is ...

dad's bank (:(barclays:() only lets you open one with grant of probate, ie at the end of the executor process, as does :(hsbc:( - I have no idea what purpose such an account could have

what I want is an account in the name of the estate of dad, to receive any payments due to the estate (I am told these cannot be paid into an account with any other name), ie to be used before probate is granted

barclays were as helpful as they could be and did tell me an executor's account didn't have to be with dad's bank, so I googled and :)natwest:) came up trumps - lovely, helpful, sympathetic staff, and happy to open an executor's account on the basis of grant of representation ie much earlier in the process - phew!
  • First Direct have been happy to take cheques since the end of April for dividends & some small <£5k share-sale cheques, and other refunds etc, but when I deposited 4x cheques totalling £19k last week via the machine, they baulked and said I needed an executors account which they don't do - HSBC (the parent) do them, and my appointment in in 10 bl00dy days time.

What a total waste of time; I'm going to move any funds as soon as they clear into my own FD account until such time as they need paying out, as I can do that far more easily.

These cheques have been missing for a week now, very annoying!
    I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove a thing! ;)
    Quidco and Topcashback, £4,569
    Shopandscan, £2,840
    Tesco Double The Difference, £2,700
    Thomson EU261/04 Claim, £1,700
    British Airways EU261/04 Claim, EUR1200
  • brewerdave
    First Direct have been happy to take cheques since the end of April for dividends & some small <£5k share-sale cheques, and other refunds etc, but when I deposited 4x cheques totalling £19k last week via the machine, they baulked and said I needed an executors account which they don't do - HSBC (the parent) do them, and my appointment in in 10 bl00dy days time.

What a total waste of time; I'm going to move any funds as soon as they clear into my own FD account until such time as they need paying out, as I can do that far more easily.

These cheques have been missing for a week now, very annoying!

Seems that you can "get away" with any old account if the sums involved are small -but once they exceed some internal banking limit it triggers anti money laundering processes -and the banks are all so scared of falling foul of their own internal audit teams, that they take the easy way out and won't/don't offer executor's accounts!!:(
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    edited 10 October 2016 at 4:37PM
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Seems that you can "get away" with any old account if the sums involved are small -but once they exceed some internal banking limit it triggers anti money laundering processes -and the banks are all so scared of falling foul of their own internal audit teams, that they take the easy way out and won't/don't offer executor's accounts!!:(
    The reason that the staff are paranoid is that the Money Laundering regulations make the individual personally liable to prosecution if they get it wrong. Do you blame them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure