Which is the best Kitchen for Quaility

124»

Comments

• CKdesigner
    CKdesigner Posts: 1,234 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sakir wrote: »
    I visited Wren Kitchens on Sunday 25 July2010. I was impressed by the range if designs, the quality and prices. The customer service was good. The design consultant told us the prices were going up by 20% from 01Aug2010. Given the previous reply mentions prices were meant to have increased from the 16th, should I believe them? I not ready to place an order just yet and don't want to be pressured but if the prices do go up by 20% it's going to blow my budget. Is there anyway to verify this?

Hi Sakir

I had a customer last week say the same thing to me about Wren's 20% increase. Either its a sales ploy to get the deposit from the customer quickly or just that they need to put the prices up as they have been selling things too cheaply!!! Only you can decide which it is.

Good luck
  • Sakir
    Sakir Posts: 3 Newbie
    Thanks

I called Wren Kitchens today (their main sales hotline) and asked why the prices hadn't increased after the 16th. The salesperson told me, the prices will be increased sometime after the 16th, most probably on the 01Aug2010. This ties back to what I was told at the Stevenage showroom. The rise is expected to be about 20% and reason for it is due to higher raw material and FX costs. The salesperson mentioned, they can take a 25% deposit now and that would fix the price for 3 months.

I'm still not sure what to do. Perhaps put a 25% down for a cheap, a few units kitchen. Then if I don’t go ahead, I lose a couple of hundred quid....not ideal...but not sure what else to do.

Cheers
  • telsokari
    telsokari Posts: 94 Forumite
    if it helps, i have had my IKEA kitchen now for 7 months and it is brilliant. So easy to keep clean (White gloss) and still looks excellent.

The only issue i have had is the hardwood worktop. Even though i gave it 4 coats of the Ronseal worktop protector its started to split around the sink area. so not too sure why this has happened but in terms of the cabinets they are excellent and i couldn't be happier with them.

The kitchen cabinets and worktop in total cost be £1200 with delivery. This was 2 large lengths of the hardwood worktop, and 16 cabinets including the tall lada pull out and corner carousel cabinet unit. I also managed to get the extractor and hob included into that price. With the 25 year guarantee it was a pretty good deal. My fitter mentioned that the IKEA quality is better than B&Q, Wickes, Homesbase, DIY Kitchets and Howdens despite being cheaper

For my other Oven and Fridge (American style LG with water and ice maker) i got them from Comet Clearance for a total of £600 and Bosch Slimline Dishwasher from Electrical Appliances for £215.
  • Meepster
    Meepster Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    How about you go to a company who doesn't try to get you to sign up there and then, by telling you that their prices are going up, when they actually aren't???

Oh and just to add, chipboard prices (the main material they use) have only risen by around 1% in the last few months. The last time they increased significantly was late last year (around 4 or 5%)

It looks even more like a cunning sales ploy now, right?
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• Meepster
    Meepster Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    telsokari wrote: »
    The only issue i have had is the hardwood worktop. Even though i gave it 4 coats of the Ronseal worktop protector its started to split around the sink area. so not too sure why this has happened but in terms of the cabinets they are excellent and i couldn't be happier with them.

This has happened as any cut sections, in regular contact with water, need oiling more regularly. You also need to make sure you get underneath the worktop for as long as water can penetrate...
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• CKdesigner wrote: »
    Hi Sakir

I had a customer last week say the same thing to me about Wren's 20% increase. Either its a sales ploy to get the deposit from the customer quickly or just that they need to put the prices up as they have been selling things too cheaply!!! Only you can decide which it is.

Good luck

Google: Wren thisismoney and have a look at the comments... I think you have your answer!
    (nb. new user so can't post links)

People shouldn't be allowed to get away with this kind of hypocricy.
  • CKdesigner
    CKdesigner Posts: 1,234 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 August 2010 at 7:00PM
    esuckq wrote: »
    Google: Wren thisismoney and have a look at the comments... I think you have your answer!
    (nb. new user so can't post links)

People shouldn't be allowed to get away with this kind of hypocricy.

Amazing! It would seem he says one thing and then does exactly the opposite!
  • Howdens are not supplied kitchen frontals and don't supply anyone else, they manufacture all of their own products in either their UK factories or their solid timber ranges come from their Italian factory. Most kitchen frontals from the cheap DIY outlets are copies made in Asia.
  • Halitosis
    Halitosis Posts: 27 Forumite
    Our close friend is a joiner who has fitted hundreds of kitchens and is about to fit one for us. He is recommending Howdens (which he also fitted in his own kitchen). Howdens cabinets come pre-built and our man believes them superior/stronger and a higher density chipboard to flat-packed units from the other principle suppliers. A reputable fitter also gets a good discount from their supplier.
    Other friends recently spent nearly £20k on a Magnet kitchen and it honestly looks shabby - though this is principly down to the fitter (they got their builder to do instead of the supplier's fitters) - the moral is that a good tradesman can make cheap materials look good, and a poor tradesman can make expensive goods look cheap!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure