Booked a holiday to Sri Lanka? Your rights after terror attacks - MSE News

Comments

• peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    As I understand it, you can't claim on holiday insurance if a destination is cancelled by the FCO due to terrorisium, one has to stand the cost if booked independently, i.e. not through a tour operator

That is entirely dependent on individual policies.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • verityboo
    verityboo Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    We were booked on a Family group holiday to Sri Lanka in August. Phoned them earlier and as per T&C's I can get a full refund. They are offering an extra 5% discount if I book an alternative holiday with them as well

Suggest people check the T&C's of their booking first if they have booked some kind of package holiday
  • Malccornelius
    Malccornelius Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 26 April 2019 at 9:41AM
    Due to travel to Sri Lanka and Nepal on 6/5 for three weeks.

Tour operator has cancelled the tour and is offering no alternative or refund.

Insurance say the TO should be refunding ....

Any thoughts on next steps ?
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,583
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    cazziebo wrote: »
    I have an annual policy, but won't the Travel Agent try to rebook a similar holiday? I don't want a refund, I'd rather have a holiday of more or less same standard (and flight prices will have increased since I booked)

Have you asked your travel agent?
    Do let us know what happens please.
  • I have a holiday booked to Sri Lanka later this year. I booked our flights, hotels, tours etc. independently over the last 6 months or so. I normally have an annual trip insurance which expired on 22nd April and I am currently in the process of renewing it - life got in the way and I now am in a 'cover gap'. I assume the 'new' insurance (booked today) will not pay up for the canellation as the FCO advice came out before the cover was taken up, but will the 'old' insurance pay up as the bookings were made while it was in force. Or am I just stuck with a very expensive life lesson?
  • Be aware Moneysavingexpert recommended Travel Insurance!
    Just tried to make a claim on our disrupted Sri Lanka holiday (due to depart in 3 days), and were advised that our Money saving expert recommended Insurer - Coverwise - which we have used for a couple of years, doesn't cover Terrorism! Never tried to make a holiday insurance claim in my life, and first time i do (our 17 day tour wasn't cheap!), have discovered the insure cover is inadequate.
    Come on Martin Lewis - don't recommend inadequate providers.......
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,244
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Mark_jones wrote: »
    Be aware Moneysavingexpert recommended Travel Insurance!
    Just tried to make a claim on our disrupted Sri Lanka holiday (due to depart in 3 days), and were advised that our Money saving expert recommended Insurer - Coverwise - which we have used for a couple of years, doesn't cover Terrorism! Never tried to make a holiday insurance claim in my life, and first time i do (our 17 day tour wasn't cheap!), have discovered the insure cover is inadequate.
    Come on Martin Lewis - don't recommend inadequate providers.......

It is just possible that this is a call centre worker misunderstanding the issue...

The immediate cause for the claim is a change in official advice: cover for terrorism would mean taking care of you if you were injured or suffered loss in an attack.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,244
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have a holiday booked to Sri Lanka later this year. I booked our flights, hotels, tours etc. independently over the last 6 months or so. I normally have an annual trip insurance which expired on 22nd April and I am currently in the process of renewing it - life got in the way and I now am in a 'cover gap'. I assume the 'new' insurance (booked today) will not pay up for the canellation as the FCO advice came out before the cover was taken up, but will the 'old' insurance pay up as the bookings were made while it was in force. Or am I just stuck with a very expensive life lesson?

I cannot imagine that your insurance would cover you for a holiday booked for after the insurance expired. I think your first step should be to contact your airline and ask if they will allow you to change the destination of your flights, and if your hotels are part of an international chain ask them as well.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite

Your insurer is correct. It may be a miscommunication from the Tour Operator, who is it?
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,922
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite

Did you book through U.K. tour operator? - in which case you should now receive a refund.

- or do you mean an oversea tour organiser having DIY'ed the trip, perhaps a Sri Lankan based one, in which case hard as it seems no-automatic refund may be given.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure