Default Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2019

Comments

• John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It's perhaps worth mentioning that US163 through Monument Valley is a high quality paved public road which can be driven free of charge, and which gives an excellent view of the magnificent scenery. If you want to save money, just drive that road, and stay in towns such as Kayenta or Bluff. It might not give you quite the full experience but it will cost a lot less.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • nvh
    nvh Posts: 1,652
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    John259 wrote: »
    It's perhaps worth mentioning that US163 through Monument Valley is a high quality paved public road which can be driven free of charge.

Correct - to be clear, I was referring to dropping into the Valley from the View hotel (which is going on to Navajo land and maintained as such :rotfl: )

The cars on the first picture hopefully give you a better indication of the sort of roads that you can pay to go on to...

2r4hdsy.jpg

The following pictures give you an idea of the sort of views you can get from an organised tour (as well as the history of the Valley, and an up-close look at some of the ancient wall art etc that can be found in the Valley etc etc.)

29fwlg6.jpg

rtm0l5.jpg
  • ajdj
    ajdj Posts: 567
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    nvh wrote: »
    If you're going to be travelling from San Diego to LAX, you may as well go to Temecula (https://www.visittemeculavalley.com/)

Funnily enough after a load more research we decided Temecula was a great option. We got 2 nights at the newly built Best Western Plus in a King Suite with free breakfast at £59/night via an Expedia code and have already picked up 1 Groupon for wine tasting for $3 with a nice discount code they sent me. Got our eye on another one for the following day too.

From there we are doing 2 nights in Huntington Beach and then the final 2 nights in Pasadena, LA before heading home. We’ve got some incredible accommodation deals- mix of good motels, MyVegas comp, Airbnb and heavily discounted hotels. 23 nights average out at £56/night.
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,517
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite

We also usually stay at Platinum, but won't be staying there this year after last year's stay ended unpleasantly. So, we need to decide I guess!

You wouldn't be getting any deals at the Platinum now anyway with Fernando leaving.
    The new guy in charge of looking after the rooms (Christian) has quite clearly told me that there will be no further discounts.

Shame as we have stayed there over 250 nights since it opened 2006, seen 3 different room operations managers come and go, have always been looked after by their successors, but this guy is a stinker.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • Aw that's bad news Stoneman
  • pebblesmax
    pebblesmax Posts: 2,279
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    That is bad news about Platinum. I wonder if they will stop doing the Travelzoo offers as well.
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,517
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    pebblesmax wrote: »
    That is bad news about Platinum. I wonder if they will stop doing the Travelzoo offers as well.
    That's the only way we will be staying there in future
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 18 January 2019 at 8:47PM
    booked a week at the MGM in a Spa Suite for the last week of April with BA flights for £700pp.
    This will be trip #11 even though i said i would not go again after the tenth time lol
  • Hi so usually i stay at the MGM but i havent been for 4 years and its a little expensive this time so looking at the mirage or new york new york, Both similar prices about 50 quid between the two. Anyone got any experience or recommendation on either

cheers
  • newuser86
    newuser86 Posts: 312
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Mirage is better than NYNY in my opinion.. are you restricted to Mlife properties? Harrahs, Bally's and Linq are all recently returned and the rooms are nice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure