PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

nearly summer hols how to have an os school hols

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I got fed up of the demands for something from ice cream van a few weeks ago. I now keep in ice cream cones, ice cream, flavoured dessert sauce and hundred and thousands. The kids can then make their own ice cream up. I've found that I use less ice cream putting it on a cone than in a dish, so a tub is going further too.
  • whilst food doesnt seem to be to much of a problem cos i home school 2 children with 1 at secondary altho that will change in sept 2 at secondary 1 at home,so my kids eat all the time anyway......i buy icepops and cheaper crisp and stuff melons off the market .......its the activities busfares and trips out are expensive so this year im hoping to visit various parks etc and have 1 planned trip each week so hopefully swimming one day and then parks and stuff the rest of the time funnily enough one of the daftest things kept mine and several other kids happy in the hols.......a huge box from a tv what fun they had!! in fact we were away on holiday and it was raining and my kids were worried about the box in the garden would it be spoilt? fortunately another child realising the rain would spoil it came and put it in his dads shed so the boxsurvived the whol;e summer holiday............remember when you used to wear ya swimsuit all day and spray water from a washing up bottle at each other for hours on end?
    :p dee mum of 3 "before you buy ...think,how many hours have i worked to pay for this?,do i need it? or can i get it r&r in tesco!! hee heee:A
  • dlb
    dlb Posts: 2,488 Forumite
    I have 4 kids and love having them at home but it is true you have to be prepared from school hoildays.
    We are lucky enough to have in laws that live by the coast so we will be staying with them for 5 days of my dh 2 weeks off,This is great as mil will not let me buy any food whilst we stay so i can use the food budget that week for extra treats whilst we are away. We are going to the maize maze near where she lives, its £12 for a family ticket and we take a picnic with us.It takes over 6 hours to complete the maze and there are clues to find around the maze so you can enter the prize draw.There are hiden picnic areas throughout the maze so once we find one we sit and enjoy lunch.
    This is one thing we love doing since we first tried it a few years ago, its loads of fun and the kids dont realise just how far they have walked so they always fall to sleep early!!

Other chaep ideas im hoping to do if weather holds are bbq and water fights.
    It is true about investing in garden toys, they save you a fourtune in long run and provide hours of fun, we have a 10ft pool and trampoline and are full day activites if the sun is shinning.

Im looking forward to your ideas on this thread as im determind to stick to budget this year!
    Proud to be DEBT FREE AT LAST
  • Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    My girls are 12 & 15 now so finding activities is hard work!!

ONe thing they still love doing & its suitable for all ages is a Maize Maze.

You can find some locations here :

http://www.maizemaze.com/UK_EUROPE_LOCATIONS.htm

They take ages to complete & you can start all over again if you really want to:rolleyes:

We take a picnic & have even eaten it in the middle of the maze :D

They are usually on a farm so can be included with a PYO session too.

The mazes usually have a theme & you have to solve a puzzle by finding the clues as you go around.

They are suitable for all ages. My 4 yr old nephew loved finding the dinosaurs last year. I always enjoy it too :o :j

Most locations provide smaller free activities too to 'fill out' the day

Never too expensive. A couple of pounds each for a day out :)

And finally, really good exercise.

The website I listed gives lots of locations but if you google search 'maize maze' & your area you can find more I'm sure. We always try and locate one for when we go away in the UK too.

:)
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • earthmother
    earthmother Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    It's worth a look at the local museums too - many have free (or very cheap) summer activities for the kids - treasure hunts, quizzes, craft sessions etc.

And the museums themselves are normally free - kids often think of them as boring - but present them the right way and they are far from it.

:)
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts
  • Crazychik
    Crazychik Posts: 1,994 Forumite
    Thanks to the OP for the mention of this! And helping us to get prepared.

I work mon-fri 10am-2pm, so not only do I have to budget for food, but, pay a baby sitter also.

However. Im hoping this yr, that my son will take up on the local leisure centre "schools out" activity, its from ages 8-14. It starts at 10, finishes at 3. They are fully occupied with various sporting activites,and looked after by trained staff, at the cost of £3.50 a day. All they need is a packed lunch.

DD is not old enough to do this yet, so in between my mum's days off from work, and the baby sitter, that should reduce my outgoings.

For 2 weeks, they are going on holiday with their dad, so that will help things here.

I still make pack lunches for them, when Im at work. I dont buy crisps, for the reason,thats all they could happily eat all day anyway. But buy plenty of fruit, dried fruit or crackers instead! They get a cooked meal when I come home!

Due to my working hours, its hard to arrange days out, but we do tend to have a drive to Matlock or Carsington Waters some evenings and have a picnic and play in the park (weather permitting).

Have fun everyone!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • LizD_2
    LizD_2 Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Nestle are doing their activities again this year. Unless, of course, you don't buy their products:

http://www.nestle-gofree.co.uk/
  • hi how is every1:beer:
  • Hi Lil_me if you are planning on day away trips then keep them as a surprise because you can bet if your wee darlings let the other kids know what your'e up to then there will be a queue of them wanting to tag along . I had a similar problem one hols as we have a Shetland pony, i offered " a ride "to someones kids, they were duly dumped on me for the whole day and yes meals etc had to included whilst mum went off... so if something happened i was left in the lurch. Now i say i can spare an hour and funnily enough they don't seem to want to come out!!!
    So good on you all you parents who make an effort for the summer Hols i know it isn't easy if you work and yes child care is expensive but Don't get used and abused because of your good natures. Enjoy your freetime with the Kids.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Well I've been really pleased with my research and have quite a number of activities to keep boredom at bay.

Every weekend there are bands on at the local bandstand.

Every week there is a fireworks display

Every week there is volleyball on the beach :j

Our village provides a free historical walk - a local history thing. But that will be a one off in terms of attending ;)

My lads already use the library every weekend both for books and free computer time.

There are free rock pool groups through the summer to explore the wildlife, plus free "rock" walks (ie the landscape).

Just looking up Quackers Maize Maze (thanks for that!). The nearest one to us is still quite a journey, but it'll be good to have a drive out for the day.

We're going away for a long weekend for d11yo's birthday but that's all paid for so it's only spending money needed and that's already put by.

Stopping off at the library while I'm out and about today to see if they have any other activities listed for locally - plus they have a leaflet stand and the leaflets often have money off vouchers attached for local attractions.

I'm getting really excited about the summer holidays beginning - I love having time with my lads :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills