PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Tinned pineapple questions and ideas

Comments

• Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Cuban pasta salad (yum!)

Cook pasta as normal and cool under cold tap.

Chop onions and pineapple into small pieces

Cut some cooked chicken into small cubes (leave out if want a veggie meal)

Shake of salt and black pepper to taste

Stir well with some mayo (or low fat fromage frais if you are being good)

I'm going to have to try that recipe it sounds like it would be an ideal lunchpot :)
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    I love pineapple in cereal so would chop up a couple of rings each morning to mix with my breakfast. yum yum
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    How about Pineapple jam - drain pineapple, dry off, weigh same amount of sugar, squeeze lemon juice, boil until cubes are transparent and sugary syrup is quite thick - or sugar thermometer reads jam setting and pot as normal.
    lovely on toast, only ever done this once as was quite expensive but certainly not at that price - especially if you use tesco's granulated sugar that is on special offer just now.
    Every days a School day!
  • I made a carrot cake yesterday which used a small tin of pineapple chunks as well as the oil, it was yum:)

Also regularly make a fruit cake which has a tin of crushed pineapple in,(I just chop it up) so reckon you could add it to almost any fruit cake recipe.

Also - a very retro '70s starter (nice for lunch). Mix a tin of tuna with a small carton of cottage cheese, season, then mound onto a pineapple ring to serve.

Oh, and Thai peanut pork. Minced pork, fried with chilli, finely chopped onion, red pepper if you have it, a big dollop of peanut butter, light soy, fish sauce if you have it. Serve with little gem lettuce leaves (pile on top/wrap), or on pineapple rings.
  • cooks united have over 200 recipes for pineapple - ( I love pinepple so am off for a gander now).
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It matters not if you try and fail, and fail and try again;[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]But it matters much if you try and fail, and fail to try again.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Stick to it by R B Stanfield
    [/FONT]
  • Chloris
    Chloris Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You could make fruit leather!
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    fruit leathers are great a lovely easy sweet treat, the only thing i would do with the pineapple would be to munch im terrible i have a love for pineapple lol
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Wow, lots of ideas! Thanks. I've opened the tin and it's not bad quality at all so I may even get a second tin for the storecupboard at this rate. So far I've made 3 pineapple upside down cakes (eggs to use up) and frozen one and given a second to the neighbour who provides the eggs. We had "pineapple split" sundaes for pud last night and we'll have some with the baked ham tonight. This still leaves me with well over half a can though so I'd better get moving on it next week. I did see a recipe for pineapple and mango crumble on the BBC website, plus some sweet & sour, then I may make some jam and some sauce for ice cream from the rest. Still not bad for 99p though!
    Val.
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    valk_scot wrote: »
    3kg tins of pineapple rings in B&M for 99p atm so my dear children bought me one as a joke.

I don't mind but our pineapple eating habits basically run to pineapple upside down cake, pineapple with gammon steaks (ooh, how retro!) and with tinned rice pudding when camping. I'm going to make some fruit salad with a few odds and ends from the fruit bowl and pineapple as the base, plus a cake plus it just so happens I'm baking a ham today but that will still leave a few dozen pineapple rings to consume asap. Any ideas what else I could use it for? If I freeze it I'll probably deliberately forget it's there.

Sorry but that made me laugh as I'd just thought to myself - I be they got that from B&M. I'm very tempted to buy one of those large tins but I know we'll never eat it. It'd be ideal for a party though. Thanks for the laugh :D
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    don't forget you can cut it into chunks and put it on pizza mmm also dried pineapple chunks are lovely, if you don't have a dehydrator google instructions for doing it in your oven at a low temp

also pineapple is great in muffins and in theory TINNED pineapple can be mixed into jelly without affecting the set as the bromelain is broken down during the canning process, i've not tried it myself as i know that fresh pineapple does keep it from setting but you could always try it with a 6p tesco value pack of jelly and a little of the pineapple

pineapple is also nice in kormas too mmmm, chutney is another idea, think pineapple chutney vs mango!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure