PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• looie
    looie Posts: 706 Forumite
    hi all, updated signature to £35.11 now. I went to our local shop last night and bought 4 tins of tuna which was on offer and 4 tins of spaghetti. Came to £3.98.

Got my mum and dad for tea tomorrow night so going to Mr S. to pick up what we need, should only be some chicken and I will grab some yoghurts for next week for work.

Take care x
  • lizziebabe
    lizziebabe Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 March 2010 at 9:04PM
    Hi all - had a crochet workshop today, it was great I can crochet now - sort of! :)

Visited a big Mr T as it is nearby - managed to spend £44.22 :(

However, was looking around and came across the lady doing the whoopsies, well double whoopsies as she was reducing some of them for the 2nd time. :j
    I got - 1. Pack of Plaice fillets - £2.68 to 94p
    2. Fish pie mix - £2.99 to £1.03
    3. Chicken breast mini fillets 240gm - £2.89 to £1.01, x2 packs.
    4. Lettuce, lollo green - down to 25p - use by 8th March.
    5. Light choices chicken, new pots and veg meal - £3.29 to £2.49.
    6. King prawn linguine, sundried tomato and chilli meal from the
    City kitchen - £4.00 - £3.05

I usually cook from scratch but it is nice to have something quick and easy if I am working and can't be bothered.

I have frozen everything except 6. as I'm having that tonight. My freezer is chocca now so hopefully haven't got to shopping for a while. Had some coupons as well. I did so well last month with NSD's but started heavily this month - I think I have missed wandering around the shops - still now I have a new hobby I can practice my crocheting instead of shopping. :)

Bye all - enjoy the rest of the weekend. :D

PS - In Mr T they had buy 2 uncooked chickens for £7 or buy 2 cooked (hot) chickens for the same price. Has anyone bought the ready cooked ones - are they good? I guess it is cheaper in a way as you don't have to 'spend' on the fuel to cook them. Then once home you could let them cool and use in the same way as ones you cook yourself. Any ideas?
  • brodie1_2
    brodie1_2 Posts: 131 Forumite
    lizziebabe wrote: »
    Hi all - had a crochet workshop today, it was great I can crochet now - sort of! :)

Visited a big Mr T as it is nearby - managed to spend £44.22 :(

However, was looking around and came across the lady doing the whoopsies, well double whoopsies as she was reducing some of them for the 2nd time. :j
    I got - 1. Pack of Plaice fillets - £2.68 to 94p
    2. Fish pie mix - £2.99 to £1.03
    3. Chicken breast mini fillets 240gm - £2.89 to £1.01, x2 packs.
    4. Lettuce, lollo green - down to 25p - use by 8th March.
    5. Light choices chicken, new pots and veg meal - £3.29 to £2.49.
    6. King prawn linguine, sundried tomato and chilli meal from the
    City kitchen - £4.00 - £3.05

I usually cook from scratch but it is nice to have something quick and easy if I am working and can't be bothered.

I have frozen everything except 6. as I'm having that tonight. My freezer is chocca now so hopefully haven't got to shopping for a while. Had some coupons as well. I did so well last month with NSD's but started heavily this month - I think I have missed wandering around the shops - still now I have a new hobby I can practice my crocheting instead of shopping. :)

Bye all - enjoy the rest of the weekend. :D

PS - In Mr T they had buy 2 uncooked chickens for £7 or buy 2 cooked (hot) chickens for the same price. Has anyone bought the ready cooked ones - are they good? I guess it is cheaper in a way as you don't have to 'spend' on the fuel to cook them. Then once home you could let them cool and use in the same way as ones you cook yourself. Any ideas?

Hi,
    havnt had the hot cooked chickens for ages, but when we used to they were really yummy and juicy:)
    Brodie1
    :jBrodie 1/ july 300/330.62:oAugust300/322.49:o
    September 300/239.78:jOct300/258.50:jNov 250/282.24:) December 300/300.01:j JAN 2011 300/288.72 :j . September 300/319.19:(, October 300/351.59:jThree adults, 1 dog and 1 cats and cleaning stuff, toiletries, beer.
  • guccigoo
    guccigoo Posts: 483 Forumite
    well today i went in mr s to get a baguette which was about 60p i think and petit filous 2 for £2. made a beef stew in slow cooker today which went down well with everyone and i have loads left to freeze so well pleased we have a meal for next week as well. :j im going to get into this batch cooking now:T
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
  • skaps
    skaps Posts: 2,255 Forumite
    Needed to do a major shop yesterday and spent £118, alot of this was meat. Bought some pork casserole pieces and saw a recipe for pork and cider stew but have no cider. Could i use white wine instead?
    MFW 2016 No 68 £1300/£8500 No new toiletries Cook sth different
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Evening all :D

just popped on to update my siggy. DH did the supermarket run today and spent £22.89, not too bad but there was almost £6 of extras in there as he is off fishing for a few days next week and needed some bits and pieces to take with him. Not too bad i suppose as we are still on track but i`m hoping to make a saving this month so need to tighten up.

Keiss - Congrats to your DS :j

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    NSD today.

Made a huge pan of ratatouille with the aubergine from my veg box, courgettes from the freezer from last years garden, Asda SP peppers and a couple of onions lurking in the bottom of the fridge. As the only tomatoes I have are large catering tins from costco I used about a third of the tin. Then using the rest of the tin, a leek from the box, the rest of the lurky onions, I made four pots of tomatoe sauce for the freezer. They can be made into chilli or bolog or used over pasta. Used 3 more of the leeks to make a cheese and leek tart - just had this with wedges and cabbage (from the box:D) and it was really nce, though the receipe said goats cheese and I only had ceddar. Will def make it again though I'd like to try it with the goats cheese next time.

I think having the veg box could be an interesting way of getting more veg down me. I have never eaten as much as I should but with the box I think I will eat a lot more - can't stand to throw away food:rotfl:

Currently on target for a small underspend this month (If I can keep it up:D) plenty in the freezer and cupboard so should be OK.

Hope everyone is doing well.
  • skaps wrote: »
    Needed to do a major shop yesterday and spent £118, alot of this was meat. Bought some pork casserole pieces and saw a recipe for pork and cider stew but have no cider. Could i use white wine instead?

Well the closest ~I can think of would be apple juice. You could use white wine but it wont have the tangy taste of cider of course. Or maybe white wine and apple juice?
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • (Thanks for that highland fling (someone else from north of the border?), yes he has been working hard, but that's nothing to what tarining he has to do now...)

Keiss: yes as my name suggests I am also Scottish. I hope your son is sponsored now to help with the financial burden of the training regime. Petrol alone, to run him to his fixtures, must be a major expense and that is not to mention diet and entry into swimming pools etc. However how proud your family and friends will be when they watch him playing in his Scotland jersey.:j

Today I am writing my shopping list as there are a few things I really need now due to eating out of cupboards and freezer. However I am sticking to items I need and not items I want.

Can anyone remind me of the best site to compare supermarket prices on groceries?

Hope everyone has a good day.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
  • laurasavon
    laurasavon Posts: 475 Forumite
    Not doing too well this month considering it's only the 7th and i've spent over half my budget (but did do a big online shop), so I may go over this month.

So far have spent -
    £73.82 on big shop
    £4.96 on a few extra chocolates and sweets from local cheap shop
    £3.66 hubby got a few bits from corner shop
    £6.70 on a few extra bits to make a meal and some milk
    £10 hubby had takr away Friday as I wasn't well:mad:

Total so far £99.14

My cupboards are fairly full but I may need a bit of fresh veg. I also have a voucher for £7 off at tesco next week which i'd like to make the most of so will probably go over this month but will have some well stocked cupboards to have a good month next month.
    Jan 2010 - Overdraft £9,500 / Credit Cards £5,000 / Loan £9,500 / Mortgage £128,000
    Jun 2010 - Overdraft £0 / Credit Card £0 / Loan £0 / Mortgage £125,250
    Oct 2011 - Overdraft £7,000 :mad: / Mortgage £115,295
    Dec 2014 - Overdrafts 15,000 / Credit Cards 16,000 / Loans 25,000 / Cars 18,000 / Mortgages 232,500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure