PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    Options
    MRSMCAWBER:- hope everything goes well with the op xx
    Was going to offer my services but congratulations to helenjelly on new caretaker, you'll be fine!
    Well haven't been shopping this week just eating everything out of the freezer. got loads left though.so have 7NSD's so far!
    Made my first home-made quiche yesterday and it was well nice. The kids loved it and have asked me to make more and for it to be bigger :D. So that will now be a regular thing in the mad house.

For dinner were having cannelloni i think, the boys want to help so they doing that tonight after school. Now its just weekend hmmm what to make.

Right off to a funeral bye for now x
  • Mrs_Tradition
    Options
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Afternoon all

Well the hospital phoned this morning -with my appointment for my op :eek:
    So I will be missing in action from the 5th October ....it could have been sooner -but hubby is away for a few days later this month (plus it gives me time to get organised ;))-so I have 3 weeks to get my bum into gear-
    I have just been in the freezer to see what meat I can use up to make "ready meals" for those 3 weeks -then I can get the veggies etc I need next time I'm out :D

So I will be making
    1. chili x 4
    2. bolognaise x 4
    3. chicken caserole x 4
    4. chicken n leek pies x 4
    5. sausage casseroles/pies x 4
    6. game casseroles x 8
    7. salmon n white fish pies x 4
    8. steak n veg slices x 4
    9. corned beef and onion slices x 4
    10. cheese n onion slices x 4
    11. must make him some pizzas ;)
    Hopefully that little lot will keep him ticking over for the possible 3 weeks I will be missing -and leave some for when I "escape" :pI have unearthed some foils I had put away -so they will be getting put to use -less washing for hubby -and no risk to my nice le creuset stuff getting bashed :rotfl:....
    I reckon if I get that lot made and then get enough baguettes and cobs made for the freezer for his lunches -we should be set for "damage limitation" :T
    SarJSmith
    I got the jam maker on sale in Marktkauf supermarket (sp?) -now I have played with mums Im going to be keeping my eye out for one for myself :D
    Booskeyboo
    That was my first time using the jam maker and it was sooo easy - but you can't do big batches..I was doing 1kg plums, 800g sugar, 200ml water -throw it in switch it on and leave it to it -45 mins later it beeped and its done. I had to put it on several times but it meant i could get on with other things (x-stitching)instead of standing over it :p and it has a self clean programme :j.... I made plenty of jam and when I ran out of sugar I put the rest on to the "juice extraction" setting and now have a huge pan of it in the fridge -ready to turn into jelly when I get some more sugar.

Im on 14 NSDs out of 16 so far -but i had better get a list made of what I need and then I can get it all in 1 go when I next shop ;)

oooohhhh whilst I think about it would anyone be willing to babysit the list for October ?????
    I can PM you the list of names so it will just be a case of adding the amounts as they are declared :D
    Right I had better get off -hope everyone is doing well
    MrsM - how organised are you!! WOW. I know you need to be with going in for your op and all but still amazing :-)
    The chicken and leek (Pie?) and the fish pie you make, do you have recipes you're created yourself that you would share - or any more than just those 2 but I don't want to appear greedy :-)

Thanks ever so much

MrsT
    xxx
  • Rachel021967
    Options
    Good luck with your op Mrs M. Yesterday my husband spent £8.77 in Lidls on lemonade, beer, bananas and ice cream. My little girl is poorly so I shall not be going out today so hoping for a NSD.
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Mrs M good luck with the op, you sound very organised.

been to Mr T's and spent £94 :eek: both teen girls have swine flu and so I have stocked up on tissues paracetamol, throat sweets and they have asked for a magazine each ( essential apparently ;)) so that has thrown me off course a little.
  • tessasmum
    Options
    sistercas, hope the girls feel better soon - we had it here in July and it was rough.

No spending here today - going to stretch the shopping out until Monday and have some more NSDs until then. Eating a lot from the storecupboards, and trying to reduce the freezers as they are still fit to burst - so homemade sauce on pasta for tea here tonight.
    December GC: £350
  • oceanspirit
    Options
    Spent £27.69 which is a bit more than I wanted to yesterday because I was tired when I went and didn't pay as much attention to price comparison as I should have done. I am still within budget though with £30.22 left for the last 2 weekly shops of the month (budget is £15 per week so still on target).
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello chums,
    blew the £30.00 budget a bit this week by an overspend of £6.23 but overall I'm still within budget as I had £18.37 left over from last week so its swings and roundabouts. I bought a bit extra this week as I have my sis-in-law coming tonight for a couple of days, and tomorrow we are off out to the Weald of Kent Craft show for the day at Penshurst Place.I cooked a chicken overnight last night in my slow cooker so I have a huge plate of cooked chicken in the fridge and will be taking a picnic lunch tomorrow with us.I have a litre of chicken stock cooling atm in the kitchen and that will be going into the freezer when its cold for soup later next week.I saw some bargain top of the range minced beef and stewing steak in MR T's this morning reduced by a third so I bagged that and also 4 big pork escalopes for just over £2.00, so thats where my cash went extra on the bill. Still I'm pleased with my bargains and bought extra fruit and veg so hopefully lots of NSD's for next week to make up for my over spend .
    I start back at my history class next Friday and its only round the corner from Aldi's in Gillingham so will pop in next Friday for a top up on fruit and veg.

MSD I like you receipe for the corned beef pasties and have copy & pasted it into my Misers cook book.When I get a wee bit more space in my freezer I will have a go at it as I love HM pasties . I am hoping to go blackberrying with my grnndchildren on Sunday and a friend has promised me some windfalls of apples from her trees so I shall be making some pies and crumbles next week if I can jiggle my freezer contents about a bit.I think we are all doing really well this month and we shold have a smiley that does a pat on the back for us all.
    See you all again on Monday keep up the brilliant work chums
  • millienjacksmummy
    Options
    Been to asda and got the shopping in for the week - plus alcohol and ingedients for friends coming round at weekend and got extras for the freezer, so hopefully next weeks shop should be less

Still spending far less than I would have before as I am thinking about planning meals now rather than just what I fancy and also trying out a new diet starting Monday so wanted ingredients in for that

So £89.31 added and still got my butcher visit tonight but will only get meat for BarbQ as already got plenty of meat for the week
    Sep GC - £465/£400:rolleyes: Oct GC - £401/400 ;) Nov GC - £ 291.32/400
  • WelshWoofer
    Options
    Just decided to make a trip to the local butchers to stock up on meat for OH. Not sure what I'll get yet but I'll know it when I see it!

Was thinking sausages, posh burgers, gammon steak, steak, chicken breast, mince....

Hmmmm - wish there was a veggie equivalent shop (not a greengrocers!)
  • scotsaver
    Options
    helen jelly - thanks for offering to "babysit" the GC in MRSMC's absence, you'll be fine.;)

Another NSD today for me - I'm finally getting the hang of this.:cool:

Dinner tonight is Fish and HM chips using potatoes from the Garden and mushy peas. No pudding tonight so hope family will be happy with a cuppa and a Twink's hobnob or two.:cool:

Have a good evening everyone.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure