edited 14 June 2010 at 5:59PM in Flights, currency & car hire
This discussion relates to the

Please click reply to discuss.

Comments

• thefenman
    thefenman Posts: 238 Forumite
    edited 5 August 2009 at 7:18AM
    Options
    One thing that stands out from the article is that although Ryanair gets all the stick in the media, they are not alone in these charges. They are all at it - even some transatlantic flights charge for baggage. Quite why any business can get away with charging for the use of a debit card beats me - to my knowledge, it doesn't cost them anything.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,005 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I disagree - from the article Ryanair extras are clearly a lot higher than easyJet

Not mentioned with Ryanair is that if you have bags then you also have to check in at the airport pushing the cost up even more. Plus not sure if it is still the case but it used to be that in Italy on line check in was not allowed so airport check in was compulsory - but still charged of course!
    I think....
  • silvergirl
    silvergirl Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    As it says in the article, not the end of the world, and why get agitated? It's a holiday! Firstly, the plane is unlikely to go without you if you have booked in and have a card, so rushing the gate is pointless when the flight is called.See how people clamour to the gate? You won't get there any quicker. Travelling as a couple (admittedly children need more care) we wait until the last boarding if possible, take something to read and eat, and if necessary travel sitting apart (and wear earplugs.) When booking online, take your time. Don't rush into things, but have everything you need to hand inlcuding cards. Take hand luggage only and buy at your destination. You won't wear or use everything you take. Well known fact. Prepare your cabin luggage BEFORE you get to security. Coins, keys, anything metal in pockets can go in yet another ziplok bag. (Buy these in a supermarket and take a handful with you.) Belts will need to be off. Security will happen. I'd rather have a security check than a delay or dropping out of the sky. Inform yourself. Get it wrong and you'll pay or you may be left behind. (Recently we watched a man argue to take an item on board specifically classified as hold luggage. We were all held up until someone shouted, 'put him to the back of the queue'. Done, simple. Last on, last off.And it cost him.)Air travel is stressful, but it doesn't have to be. Budget airlines are cheap, so it's a bit like a cattle truck. Accept that and you're halfway there. Happy travelling!:A
  • Anna-Maria76
    Options
    Martin,

Here is one you missed in your article.

Did you know that if you buy Ryanair vouchers with your credit card (charge of £5) you can use then to pay for flights and you are not charged a handling fee when booking.

They charge a handing fee for the transaction of purchasing the vouchers on your card but but this is only £5. When you then pay with vouchers for your flight there is no handling fee. Whereas they charge you a handling fee of £10 per person when booking flights with debit card.

Unfortunately they only do them in £25 and £50 denominations up to £200. IMPORTANT - If the vouchers come to more than the flight your forfeit the remainder of your vouchers.

I just saved £25 on my latest flight! The flight for myself and 3 others only cost £40 (£10 each) but the handling fee doubled it to £80 so I spent £55 buying my vouchers. I used the £50 voucher (that cost me £55) to pay for a £40 flight, saving £25!
    I hope this makes sense! :beer:
  • thefenman
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    I disagree - from the article Ryanair extras are clearly a lot higher than easyJet

What do you disagree with? All I said was that they are all at it.
  • sacherlover
    Options
    I have travelled Heathrow to Belfast on numerous occasions, with quite a large bag.

I have never been asked to weigh it by Aer Lingus staff, even at check in.
  • terry227
    Options
    To help beat baggage charges, if you travel budget airlines often enough, it might be worth investing in a coat with large pockets, and a fold up bag. I have, what happen to be an engineereing coat from an airline, with 4 enormous pockets. I use a 'longchamp' style bag to carry some of my baggage to the airport, then empty it into the pockets of my coat, put the bag in my other hand baggage to get through security etc, and when all clear, empty everything back into the fold up bag, including the coat if I don't need it. I weighed it once. The coat (which is quite light) and contents weighed in at 9 kg. Might ound like a load of hastle, but it's not if you're organised in advance, knowing what will go into the pockets. I quite enjoy the puzzled looks from security...as there's nothing to say how much you can have in your pockets!
  • thefenman
    Options
    terry227 wrote: »
    To help beat baggage charges, if you travel budget airlines often enough, it might be worth investing in a coat with large pockets, and a fold up bag. I have, what happen to be an engineereing coat from an airline, with 4 enormous pockets. I use a 'longchamp' style bag to carry some of my baggage to the airport, then empty it into the pockets of my coat, put the bag in my other hand baggage to get through security etc, and when all clear, empty everything back into the fold up bag, including the coat if I don't need it. I weighed it once. The coat (which is quite light) and contents weighed in at 9 kg. Might ound like a load of hastle, but it's not if you're organised in advance, knowing what will go into the pockets. I quite enjoy the puzzled looks from security...as there's nothing to say how much you can have in your pockets!

But it's not security you are trying to beat - and don't you end up with 2 bags, strictly forbidden by Ryanair?
  • thefenman
    Options
    I hope this makes sense![/QUOTE]

Not really! You are still giving Ryanair £15. However, if you are prepared to accept that . . . .
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    with Ryanair is that if you have bags then you also have to check in at the airport pushing the cost up even more.
    Plus not sure if it is still the case but it used to be that in Italy on line check in was not allowed so airport check in was compulsory - but still charged of course!

Wrong and wrong. Read https://www.ryanair.com first before posting please.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure