January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Lynn11
    Lynn11 Posts: 674 Forumite
    Went to shop at Tesco's, local fruit shop, fish shop and lidel - spent quite a bit and the total for January is £115.15. My goal is £200 which will be a reducation of £40 per month if I can achieve this. I have enough stuff in the freezer now so hopefully I will be buying fresh fruit & veg, and fridge stuff over the next week and achieve my £200 target.
    MFIT T2 Challenge - No 46
    Overpayments 2006-2009 = £11985; 2010 = £6170, 2011 = £5570, 2012 = £1290
  • Went shopping yesterday,market for F&V(late so packing up,hardly anything I needed £6:o )Aldis,then Somerfield-no bread flour,which is about all I'm short of now.
    Total spent so far this month £80.14
    Bought Seville oranges to make marmalade. Never going to make it again until I see the flipping things for sale,there we go then.
    Treat tonight ,we were going out with friends for a meal,but don't really feel well enough to be sociable,so making do with an Indian takeaway.
    Have a barabrith in oven for DD2, her MIL having lunch with them tomorrow so will take it to her.DD2s partner in building trade so is on 'holiday' until there is work.which could be a few more weeks yet.(no work no pay) All very worrying,
    but 'red cross parcels' never go amiss :rotfl:
    mrss
    You can't stay young for ever,but you can be immature for the rest of your life.
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Been to do the big Mr T shop and managed to spend £63!
    This will be enough for about 2 weeks main meals, a few bits for the storecupboard and plenty for the freezer that will get used up over time.
    I got enough meat to last OH at least 3 weeks - a lot of which is safely hidden in the bottom of the freezer to be eeked out! Bought quite a few veggie/quorn type things for me too - these seem to have really increased in price recently - as expensive as buying meat these days!

I'm up to £119 of my £150 budget but won't shop again until at least next weekend and also have £20 in vouchers/gift cards to use that aren't included in my budget so there's more left than appears with 2 more weeks after this one to go!

Off to rejig the meal plan for the next week or two incorporating all the stuff I bought today.

Good luck to everyone else.
  • turbo5019
    turbo5019 Posts: 331
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    kunekune wrote: »
    Cauliflower is a wonderful vegetable. The obvious thing is cheese sauce, perhaps mixed in with other veges and some pasta. But it is better than that. Various ideas:

cauliflower cheese quiche, haven't tried it but it sounded yum: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1435/cauliflower-cheese-and-bacon-quiche
    use as mash instead of potato: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/cauliflowermash_76888.shtml is a fancy version but you can make it with ordinary milk and butter too
    And then there's curry: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5233/cauliflower-curry, http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4287/tomato-cauliflower-and-spinach-curry
    Or you could roast it: http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/000933roasted_cauliflower.php

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/recipes/roasted-cauliflower-with-pine-nuts-and-raisins-542080.html

Hope these give you some ideas - they have certainly reminded me that the cauli in my fridge is destined to greater things than boiling.

Thanks for that I think I am going to do the quiche all I need to get are some eggs will let you know how it turns out.
    GC July £250/
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    I'm so excited:j picked up a Slow Cooker in Sainsbury's, Half price at £19.99, it's a Morphy Richards, bit of an impulse buy so hope that is a good price, it will pacify me until I've saved enough to buy a Remoska.:o Can't wait to use it now.;)

gailey - we're all here to help so what have you got in and we can help meal plan until Payday if you need any suggestions.:cool:

Dinner tonight is a Takeaway as we have friends round and we are all too tired to cook and want a bit of a treat after all the cooking we did over Xmas & New Year, we all had family staying so we feel a treat/the expense is justified, (have a grovelled enough??) so will update total tomorrow.:o

Have a good evening everyone.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• Hello all

I did my "big shop" today - although not very big by other people's standards as there's only me here. Also I'm very limited as to what i can buy cos I have to cycle home with it - 9 miles.

I spent 12.65 and got eggs, bread, butter, chocolate, yogurt, sugar, baking powder and a huge pile of veg. This includes things to feed the guest who is staying for the weekend, and ingredients to make chocolate brownies as birthday gifts for two friends.

I'm not being as thrifty as some but I'm doing sooooo much better than I used to - it feels really good. :D
    August grocery challenge: £50
    Spent so far: £37.40 :A
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    mrssnowy wrote: »
    Have a barabrith in oven for DD2, her MIL having lunch with them tomorrow so will take it to her.

what is a barabrith I am intrigued?
  • Hi gailey, just suggestion, don't know how much rice etc u got or where you'll be shopping.

I'd try risotto using some rice (tho you'd need bit of stock/ cheap cubes?), with onion, tomatoes, little cheese, I'd try a tomato sauce over pasta, a lentil dahl, and if you've enough potatoes I'd slice them thinly and do a gratin dauphinoise - if you can afford even a small tub single cream. If not it should still work with milk - Anthony Worral Thompson's recipe on BBC food is great and easy. Just potatoes, butter/marg, cream/milk, garlic. Very filling.

Otherwise, Spanish omelette - using some veg and sliced cooked potatoes is great and filling - I just adapt to what I've got. You can get away with less potatoes for that than you would with the egg and chips, but it's great.
    If you can add a bit cheese so much the better.
    I'd even think about peeling the spuds thickly and frying the skins with some sort of dip (tomato garlicky).
    Might be able to make up some sort of pasta bake - if you could manage tin tuna - or cheap pasta sauce ?
    Shirley Goode's site great for this, might get an idea there, tho apart from that the great ideas on this site are amazing. Best of luck with it !
    Cheers :)
    Finally Debt Free (£8k to zero) yay! :j :j

Saving for Xmas 2020 £1 a day challenge #54 £18/366
    £2 Savers Club 2020 #49 (£6)
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    It's me again - just been over on the Greenfingered Forum and saw this http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1406357 for all of us who want to be growing their own more this year this may be of use.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• butterfly72
    butterfly72 Posts: 1,222
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    Well, my first week of the challenge finished today! Have a monthly total of £250 and spent £59.33 this week. However, we did buy some organic meat that had been discounted for the freezer and extra rice as that was on offer.

We are doing our shop for next week today and already I've made some savings - I hope. We took a rather fresh walk round to a relatively new fruit and veg shop in our high street. I got

4 large carrots
    large head of broccoli
    2 large onions
    bag of mushrooms
    avocado
    pack of 3 peppers
    2 parsnips

all for £4.78. Because I'm new to this challenge tbh I don't know if this is good compared to the supermarket?? I've never really paid attention to the prices I've been paying because I didn't have a choice but to shop there.

Anyway, OH has had to go to Mr S. to finish the shop as we need a few extra bits and pieces. It'll be interesting to see what bargains OH can bag!
    £2019 in 2019 #44 - 864.06/2019
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport