January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• oldMcDonald
    oldMcDonald Posts: 1,945 Forumite
    Well done, pink princess!

Just been off to Google possible fillings for steamed dumplings and have found a japanese meal called a 'Bento' - has anyone ever tried making these? Wow! They look amazing but I wouldn't have the patience / time / artistic ability to make anything like the pictures in the link.
  • Le_Foot
    Le_Foot Posts: 162 Forumite
    Hi Everyone. Hope you've all had a nice weekend. We've had a very busy one as we have had a family get-together to celebrate my DH's birthday. There was 11 of us here last night, and I did us a hot buffet (3 different dishes in slow cookers) and I made lots of different breads, and rice & roast pots.
    I had most of the ingredients in my freezer, and drinks alreaqdy in cabinet & fridge, so it hasn't added much to this weeks budget, but has depleted my stocks somewhat.
    Still we had a wonderful time, they all stayed overnight night you can imagine me trying to cook bacon rolls for them all this morning:eek: .
    They've all gone home now, and left us in peace.
    I'm happy with my spends this week, and so far well within budget. Bye for now, 'keep the faith' :A
    Feb. G.C. From Jan 26th £350.00
    First month..pure guess!! Wk. 1 £136.38 balance £213.62. Wk.2 £108.10p balance £105.52
  • I would suggest learning to roast a chicken - it's really hard to mess up and gives loads of tasty useful meat for relatively cheap for curries, pies, pasta etc and you can make soup from the carcass. xx

Hehehe.. i would, but i don't eat chicken.. i saw a poster by PETA i think it was, and it had little chickys on it and it said "we are not nuggets!" on it.. so that and the fact i'm not too keen on it anyway, then i guess that kinda stuffs that idea! but thanks for the advice and tips though, i'll take it on board. :-)
  • Evening everyone, hope you all had a great weekend. A NSD today for me, cooked a breast of lamb for dinner today and have some left over for a cassarole tomorrow. Being very MS, keeping away from the shops, will do another meal plan for the coming week this evening and shopping list for the week. Trying really hard not to spend too much, as what ever is left in this months budget is going towards a slow cooker, which i`ve been wanting for absolutley ages. We used to have a corden bleu, but just stopped working, any recommendations for slow cookers as these ones are no longer sold.
    Grocery Challenge 2013: July week 1 £90/£87.41 :D
    week 2 £90.00/£118.38:eek: week 3 £90/£60.54:jweek4 £90/£79.90 week5 £45/£00
    End of mortgage april 2030
    Mortgage overpayment from june 2013 aiming for £400 a month: £451
    Emergency fund 2013 from june £70
  • orchid-96
    orchid-96 Posts: 686 Forumite
    nsd was going well today, however :o have just ordered bits to go with our leftover (free) curry from yesterday, not really loads of curry left, so we are going to get popadums, pickles and bhajis to go with it....will update sig, I don't feel too bad though as if I wasn't doing the challenge I probably wouldn't have bothered to keep yesterdays leftovers (well we would but dh would have just had it for lunch) I also feel good as I have resisted to urge to purchase a bottle of wine to go with it so that's something...

Also glad to see I am not the only one who enjoys a trip round a store searching out bargains!!

Good luck all for the week ahead..
    Jun GC £250.00/£12.40 NSD 3 / 30

January 200/198.91 February 200/239.28 March 200/230
    April 250/no idea May 250/265.95

Sealed pot challenge number 648
  • lola34
    lola34 Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    Well i thought i was doing well and have just totted up my reciepts so far and found one for £20+ which I seemed to have forgotton about - the month started off really well as last fri I popped into Asda on the night just as all the fresh groceries had been reduced to 10p- bargain!!!!!! Have enough apples to feed the street :D
    Still- I am on track so its not going too bad- am determined not to go over this month
  • Hi all, well done on staying on track.... keep up the good work!

Week 2 shopping total is...drumroll............£50.65 :money:Really pleased with that!

Tried my local Lidl and I have to say it was AWFUL, much prefer Aldi. So Lidl followed by Morrisons for me, was a marathon :eek:
    Joint debt - £25,090 :confused:
    Wannabe debt free by 09/2011 :eek:
  • femigirl
    femigirl Posts: 35 Forumite
    hi guys, Happy new year, i was wondering if anyone could actually give me any discount codes for tesco grocery online shopping, i have spend over £50 but none of the codes work, what going on?
  • Well we had duck legs for tea that were yum. Did them in slow cooker and then crisped them up in the oven while i reduced the sauce to stickiness, had them with stir fried fridge bottom veg and noodles ( reduced in home bargains).

The oven was on anyway as I'd made a mincemeat cake,w hich comes out like a light fruit cake, think it will be nice now and then in a couple of days with butter on. Great way to use up left over mincemeat, gonna put the recipe on the store cupbosrd challenge thread.

Am slowly getting the hang of meal planning and really seems to be helping, should only need onions this week!! The person who suggested having seven categories for your meals deserves a medal. Even DS 14 is starting to suggest things for the categories and i have a special category for him to cook once a week :).

Looking good so far and nearly half way there. Slow cooker is on now with (whoopsied) beef in leftover mulled wine for tomorrow :D . I love it when a plan comes together.
    Eat food, not edible food-like items. Mostly plants.
  • I'd looked at mrssnowy's barabrith post today before I tried to bake a fruit teabread I'd not made for years !
    Got it all wrong quantity wise and it's too crumbly to slice or anything - I'm eating it in clumsy chunks with a cup of tea ! :o

It was meant to last me for work lunches etc ! Nobody else will touch it cos they don't like raisins etc.
    Oh well ... spose it wil still fill me up ! Was doing good too ! :rotfl:
    Finally Debt Free (£8k to zero) yay! :j :j

Saving for Xmas 2020 £1 a day challenge #54 £18/366
    £2 Savers Club 2020 #49 (£6)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business