Integrated fridge/freezer

Hi All,

Hope you can help me,

I have an integrated fridge/freezer which has packed up. I am covered under one of these schemes and they are paying 75% of the cost, luckily.

However, I have to go through a certain website and they do not fit such things, so I independently have to get this fitted.

Any ideas on the type of person I should be contacting? Do hope you can help.

Regards,

JT x
It's great in here! :)

Comments

• Jen_Jen_5
    Jen_Jen_5 Posts: 174 Forumite
    Sorry cant help - in fact have similar problem.

My fridge isnt very cold the lights work and it makes noises, i dont know whether its worth buying a new one around £250 or trying to get it fixed (problem finding who will do this).

Does anyone know what a likely reason for the fridge working but not being very cold may be? Is this likely to be cheap to get fixed?

Does someone have to fit it if integrated?

Can i put a normal fridge under the counter and not have a decrative door on front (cheaper to buy a normal fridge) or are there problems with ventalation?

Any help appreciated.
  • This is exactly the same problem I have!!

Fridge not cold enough, but freezer too cold as have to have thermostat up full. Nightmare. Thermostat was changed twice before I was told it couldn't be repaired. Can't rtemember what they said the actual problem was now, but something to do with the filters at the back I think.

Still haven't found anyone suitable to install a new one, so if anybody can help, let us know!

Are they easy to install by yourself or is a 'professional' needed?

Thanx.

JT
    It's great in here! :)
  • They are relatively easy to fit. The fridge/freezer is likely to be in a cupboard carcass which is attached to other units and the wall. Assuming you have the f/f disguised behind a kitchen unit door that matches the other unit doors, the process would be as follows. To get the old f/f out, as you open the door, several brackets will be revealed that are between the unit door and the f/f door. Once you have the door fully open, the screws that attach the brackets will be accesible. Undo all the screws and the brackets will come off. The unit door and the f/f door should now open independently. There will be a few other screws that fix the f/f to the carcass. Undo these and then it is then a matter of pulling the old f/f out. You may have to take off the hinges of the unit door to do this.

Fitting the new f/f is the reverse of this process. Obviously, follow the instructions supplied with the new f/f. It should be a matter of getting the new f/f into the carcass and centralising it. There will be a small gap to either side. You need to push the f/f slightly back from the front face of the unit to allow for the thickness of the new brackets.

The awkward bit is getting the brakets to line up. The brackets normally come in two parts, one bit screws to the f/f, the other to the back of the unit door. Attach the bracket to the f/f first and then close the unit door as much as you can whilst still being able to mark the position of the other bracket on the back of the unit door. (You may have to slghtly adjust the position of the f/f). Once all the bracket positions are marked, open the unit and f/f doors together and screw in the brackets. I would just use one screw and try it to make sure it works before doing the rest of the screws. Once you have done this, attach the f/f to the carcass as indicated by the instructions.

When putting the new f/f in, make sure that the cable and plug goes in first. There will be a hole in the carcass for this to go through so that it can be plugged into a wall socket. When choosing your new f/f make sure that it is the same size as the old one.

If you do not feel like tackling this yourself, any DIY'er should be able to help you. If you have to get a professional in, a kitchen fitter would do this but is likely to charge a small fortune.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport