once daily sun cream recommendations

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Takmon wrote: »
    I know it doesn't help the OP but i was just giving my experience showing that it does actually work in the real world.

You need to be careful when reading studies like that. They started off with SPF 30 (I would never use less than SPF 50+) then they put it on their back put a t-shirt on and rubbed it off for a period of 6 to 8 hours then tested it again. Which is a completely rubbish test because obviously if you rub it off it will be less effective.

Like i said i have been in an out of a pool and down water slides all day in direct sunlight at the worst point in the day and didn't even get a tan, so that shows it does work.

So I shoulda believe one random stranger on the internet?

In late 2018, the Cosmetic, Toiletry & Perfumery Association (CTPA) – the UK's industry body for sunscreen manufacturers – introduced a best-practice guide for claims around long-lasting sunscreens.

It told us that the industry is now trying to move away from 'once a day' labelling, using the term 'durable sun cream' instead.

While the best-practice guide isn't the same as there being an agreed standard, it outlines factors manufacturers should consider when developing durable sunscreens.

It also explains that the labelling of durable sunscreens must explain the circumstances under which they should be re-applied, such as after excessive perspiring, swimming, towelling or a given period of time.

To stay safe in the sun, it's best to always apply your sunscreen carefully and regularly. And don't rely on any sun cream on its own – it should be used alongside sunglasses, clothing, a hat and the shade.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    hollydays wrote: »
    So I shoulda believe one random stranger on the internet?

Well the OP also says that they always use it so obviously it works for them in regards to protecting them from sunburn.

There is also another thread on this part of the forum currently where several people say they use it often.

But the main point i was making was their test you quoted said they applied it to someone who then put on a t-shirt and rubbed about on a char for 7 hours. That is obviously is not a useful test considering sun cream is never used that way.
    In late 2018, the Cosmetic, Toiletry & Perfumery Association (CTPA) – the UK's industry body for sunscreen manufacturers – introduced a best-practice guide for claims around long-lasting sunscreens.

It told us that the industry is now trying to move away from 'once a day' labelling, using the term 'durable sun cream' instead.

While the best-practice guide isn't the same as there being an agreed standard, it outlines factors manufacturers should consider when developing durable sunscreens.

It also explains that the labelling of durable sunscreens must explain the circumstances under which they should be re-applied, such as after excessive perspiring, swimming, towelling or a given period of time.

To stay safe in the sun, it's best to always apply your sunscreen carefully and regularly. And don't rely on any sun cream on its own – it should be used alongside sunglasses, clothing, a hat and the shade.

Yea and your point is? None of that says once a day Sun Cream doesn't work.

If you apply P20 and don't rub it off then it will protect you all day from sunburn and i know that because I've used it many many times (even after swimming).

You seem to be arguing that it doesn't work but have obviously never tried it. So next time your planning on going out in the sun give it a try and you will be surprised.
  • hollydays
    Forumite
    edited 13 June 2019 at 8:47PM
    Thanks for that bit of mansplaining.
    The reason factor 50 was invented was because people don't apply suncream properly.
    I don't stay out in the sun for 12 hours so I don't need it.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for that bit of mansplaining.
    The reason factor 50 was invented was because people don't apply suncream properly.
    I don't stay out in the sun for 12 hours so I don't need it.

It's not mansplaining you can't just judge an entire range of products to not work just because you don't believe it :rotfl:

Factor 50 suncream offers a slightly higher protection which is obviously beneficial because any amount of sun exposure is damaging.

All day sun cream isn't for people who spend all day in the sun. It's for people who want to put it on in the morning and then go out in the sun at all will during the day without having to worry about re-applying.
  • hollydays
    Forumite
    edited 14 June 2019 at 8:12PM
    Takmon wrote: »
    It's not mansplaining you can't just judge an entire range of products to not work just because you don't believe it :rotfl:

Factor 50 suncream offers a slightly higher protection which is obviously beneficial because any amount of sun exposure is damaging.

All day sun cream isn't for people who spend all day in the sun. It's for people who want to put it on in the morning and then go out in the sun at all will during the day without having to worry about re-applying.

Which takes us full circle. Obviously your body will rub against chairs, clothes will rub it off. You'll touch your face or stroke your arm.
    Someone might hug you.
    That's the point .
    I don't not like the product, I've read up,on why it's not efficient.

There is no sun cream for people who are hoping to get away with applying it once.
    Ps Im out of the uk for a few months, it's hot here , keeping out of the sun, during the hottest times, wearing a hat, covering up and reapplying sunscreen ( partly so you go over the bits you missed) are the answer .
  • Depends what you're looking for. I think boots sultan is great for protection. I don't rely it on for once a day (put on at least twice) but I have very fair skin and think its great - but that said it is pretty thick and can leave a yellow stain on white things.
    I used to like Piz Buin - but don't see the factor50 all day one anywhere any more?
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,709
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks all, will have a read thorugh properly once im home from work

As said, sadly P20 (even the SPF 30) does last all day on me, even in July in Greece (i never swim, just lay on my back all day in the sun) and have never burnt, but i really dont like the oily texture it leaves on my skin... Will use it if i cant find an alternative, but it feels horrible when i throw a t shirt on to go for lunch

May try and find a decent spf50 for my face
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,709
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Misslayed wrote: »
    I'm a melanoma survivor and a grey redhead, I can thoroughly recommend Altruist sunscreen, developed and marketed by a dermatologist who wanted to make sure effective, easy to use, high quality sunscreen was available to everyone, not just those who could afford it. I was very sceptical at first because of the price - I had been paying 3/4 times as much. It's available on Amazon in cream or aerosol (which I use - SO easy to use, no greasy feel, no surface film, no fragrance, haven't tried the cream). 10p from every sale also donated to a charity supporting African children with albinism. I've recommended it to everyone in my family, they are all hooked now.
    It isn't a 'once a day' application, but the spray is so easy to reapply, it doesn't really matter. Available spf 30 or 50

Hi
    Sorry to hear what you have been through, and thank you for the recommendation. Ive seen 2 x 100ml spf50 on Amazon for £7.50 which i think a good price, and the reviews seem excellent! Going to order some for my face (and possibly whole body)
  • hollydays
    Forumite
    britishboy wrote: »
    Hi
    Sorry to hear what you have been through, and thank you for the recommendation. Ive seen 2 x 100ml spf50 on Amazon for £7.50 which i think a good price, and the reviews seem excellent! Going to order some for my face (and possibly whole body)

How do you know it's not fake
  • hollydays wrote: »
    How do you know it's not fake

If these posts are about Altruist then it's only sold through Amazon in the UK. As long as your purchasing directly from Amazon then it shouldn't be fake.

It's fantastic sunscreen at a reasonable price:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Altruist-Dermatologist-Sunscreen-SPF-50/dp/B06X6LZWRC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2SY98HPTZK96&keywords=altruist&qid=1560755360&s=gateway&sprefix=altr%2Caps%2C150&sr=8-1
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure