once daily sun cream recommendations

Ive always used P20 once a day sun cream, but dont like the oily, greasy texture or when you get hot and it runs into your eyes :mad:

Any other recommendations please for a spf30 or spf50 one a day, that doesnt leave you greasier than chip shop chips?

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I don't think once daily suntan lotion is realistic
  • Sorry but it was my understanding that suntan lotion should be regularly applied.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/causes-of-cancer/sun-uv-and-cancer/ways-to-enjoy-the-sun-safely-0
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,343
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    hollydays wrote: »

That's probably true. I know some people react to P20 and get fewer problems with Ultrasun. But you can't expect the protection to last at a constant high rate over a period of more than a few hours.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    fatbelly wrote: »
    That's probably true. I know some people react to P20 and get fewer problems with Ultrasun. But you can't expect the protection to last at a constant high rate over a period of more than a few hours.

I use P20 every time i go somewhere hot and only put it on once in the morning and have never had sun burn. I've even been to a water park where the temperature was 35 degrees and i was there from 10am to 5pm going in and out of the water and queuing up in direct sunlight and didn't even get a tan!.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,343
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Takmon wrote: »
    I use P20 every time i go somewhere hot and only put it on once in the morning and have never had sun burn. I've even been to a water park where the temperature was 35 degrees and i was there from 10am to 5pm going in and out of the water and queuing up in direct sunlight and didn't even get a tan!.

OP doesn't like P20 - Any other recommendations?
  • Another vote for Ultrasun. I've got very fair skin and have reacted to some other sun creams.
  • Schoolworker
    Schoolworker Posts: 499
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I use boots soltan 8 hour suntan lotion for my kids but they do get cream in the morning then again early afternoon. I don't take the word of all day protection.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Takmon wrote: »

sunscreen is not fully effective against the sun's harmful rays, research by Which? has found.

It tested four brands which claim that users only need to apply them once during the day.

It found that after six to eight hours the average Sun Protection Factor (SPF) offered decreased by 74%.

However the claim was rejected by some of the manufacturers, who said their own testing had different results.

According to the Which? study , a sunscreen offering an SPF 30 could actually drop to an SPF 8 over the course of a day.

Claims about "once-a-day" sunscreens are not allowed in Australia, where there are strict regulations about such assertions.

Anything that leads consumers to believe sunscreens do not need to be frequently re-applied is forbidden.

Which? believes similar rules should be introduced in the UK.
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,053
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Senior Ambassador
    edited 10 June 2019 at 8:47PM
    I'm a melanoma survivor and a grey redhead, I can thoroughly recommend Altruist sunscreen, developed and marketed by a dermatologist who wanted to make sure effective, easy to use, high quality sunscreen was available to everyone, not just those who could afford it. I was very sceptical at first because of the price - I had been paying 3/4 times as much. It's available on Amazon in cream or aerosol (which I use - SO easy to use, no greasy feel, no surface film, no fragrance, haven't tried the cream). 10p from every sale also donated to a charity supporting African children with albinism. I've recommended it to everyone in my family, they are all hooked now.
    It isn't a 'once a day' application, but the spray is so easy to reapply, it doesn't really matter. Available spf 30 or 50
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    fatbelly wrote: »
    OP doesn't like P20 - Any other recommendations?

I know it doesn't help the OP but i was just giving my experience showing that it does actually work in the real world.
    sunscreen is not fully effective against the sun's harmful rays, research by Which? has found.

It tested four brands which claim that users only need to apply them once during the day.

It found that after six to eight hours the average Sun Protection Factor (SPF) offered decreased by 74%.

However the claim was rejected by some of the manufacturers, who said their own testing had different results.

According to the Which? study , a sunscreen offering an SPF 30 could actually drop to an SPF 8 over the course of a day.

Claims about "once-a-day" sunscreens are not allowed in Australia, where there are strict regulations about such assertions.

Anything that leads consumers to believe sunscreens do not need to be frequently re-applied is forbidden.

Which? believes similar rules should be introduced in the UK.

You need to be careful when reading studies like that. They started off with SPF 30 (I would never use less than SPF 50+) then they put it on their back put a t-shirt on and rubbed it off for a period of 6 to 8 hours then tested it again. Which is a completely rubbish test because obviously if you rub it off it will be less effective.

Like i said i have been in an out of a pool and down water slides all day in direct sunlight at the worst point in the day and didn't even get a tan, so that shows it does work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure