PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 December 2009 at 11:11AM
    jkc wrote: »
    whats the cheapest recipe any ones found so far? how many potions do you get? curently on 30 to 40 pounds grocery but would really like to cut back, with out nutritiant depravaition.
    ... .

you'll find useful links in Pink's list on the front page - try this one - and also in the front page recipe list (see Top Tips) and more in the Complete Indexed Collection in post #3

there are lots of ways of stretching meals, like rubber chicken, adding chopped vegetable and/or lentils to recipes; also take note of how much you throw out, reducing waste is another way of saving money.

If you're including cleaning stuff in your budget, it might be worth checking out the Save zillions on cleaning index

If you need any specific help please ask and someone will help. Good luck!. ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Hi all. New to this as well but we are trying to get more organised with money in the next year. I am going to go for £230 but that’s just a guess really as I don’t know how much we spend. This is for for two adults, two boys and two guinea pigs.
  • bundly
    bundly Posts: 1,029 Forumite
    edited 29 December 2009 at 12:05PM
    God I need this thread.

I probably spend more on food than anyone on this board <cringes>

I don't know exactly how much (I don't yet keep receipts!) but each week at Morrison's I spend about £80 plus I pop to the local shops once or twice and spend maybe £5 to £10 and sometimes have the butcher deliver about £50 worth of meat. So, about £90 to £100 pw --- for one person and one cat!

As I am on a very low carb diet I eat about a pound of meat a day. From January 1st I am switching to a vegetarian low fat diet. Hopefully that will be a lot cheaper!

So my goals are

1. Keep all receipts just to find out what I spend

2. Halve my food bill from £100 pw to £50.
  • Hey,

Hope everyone had a good December. I didn't join as I was home from uni so all the food was coming out of Daddy's pocket not mine. Back for January now!

Going for a budget of £120 for 2 people not including cleaning products. Need to do a huge stock up as did not shopping before I left in December but I think that should be enough.
    December GC £23.43/120 :T
    Nationwide Overdraft £1136, Natwest Overdraft £1800(interest free), Natwest Credit Card £155/£350 :eek:
    Aim to clear overdrafts by Summer 2010
    Saving for Elective £0 so far!
  • Okay, I'm gonna put my two penny worth in, turning 40 next year so I determined to finally get organised.......so this is my first step. Please could you put me down for £275, that's for 2 adults and 3 boys (6, 4 & 2 years) and all cleaning products.
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 29 December 2009 at 12:46PM
    Hello new thread :) I went and declared targets and totals in old thread, but will post my target budget again here for 2010

2010 grocery budget challenge - £1200 for the year for household of 3, to include toiletries, cleaning & laundry products. Total spent during 2009 was £1,245.67
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Good morning everyone,

hope you all had a lovely Christmas. I would like to drop my GC budget a little this month so could you please put Highland Fling down for £160.Nice to see lots of new new people joining us and also others returning. Especially glad to see Cranky40 returning.

Like some others I started really well in Dec and then blew it in the last week before Christmas. Don't honestly know how much I spent as it all became a bit frantic at the end but I plan to be more in control this month.
    Received a great many gifts of chocs, biscuits and sweets so I don't think I will need to buy any treats for a long time.

Last night made a lovely Carbonara dish with cream I had left over. In the distant past that same cream would just sit until it went sour or would have been washed down the sink. By the way does anyone know if you can freeze cream? I freeze milk and butter but I am unsure about cream.

Good luck to everyone in January.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Please put me down for £200 for January- this includes all the food for 2 adults and the small person with an adult sized appetite, psycho cat [aka Twitten] and cleaning materials. Stocked up well in December so hopefully should come in on or preferably under budget!
    Good luck everyone!
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • carolt2
    carolt2 Posts: 854 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Last night made a lovely Carbonara dish with cream I had left over. In the distant past that same cream would just sit until it went sour or would have been washed down the sink. By the way does anyone know if you can freeze cream? I freeze milk and butter but I am unsure about cream.

Good luck to everyone in January.

Hi, yes you can freeze cream, there is a thread all about it here
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=105416

HTH
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
  • hi, can you put me down for £250. this is still my aim. we have two freezers full , two fridges full and cupboards stocked up.
    Grocery Challenge Feb 16 £346 /400
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport