January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hi, just popping on to update my siggy and to say I've actually managed to finish a grocery challenge for the first time so woo-hoo me lol!:A

Anyway, I'm declaring this month at £359.08 so have come in slightly under budget.:T

Mrs M can you put me down for £365 for February please?
  • rockie4
    rockie4 Posts: 1,264
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Whoo Hoo!!!!! Declaring at £149.73 :T :T

I thought I'd gone over as I bought quite a few extra bits at the weekend, storecupboard stuff mainly that was running low. I'm chuffed that I've made it this month!!:j :j

Mrs M can you put me down for £160 this month please? I really need to keep my spending down, hopefully now I've done it this month I'll be able to keep the momentum going........:D
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,543
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    mumzyof2 wrote: »
    How do i freeze semi skimmed milk?

Nothing fancy just lay it down in the freezer, making sure their is enough room for it to expand. We freeze 4 pinters. We've never had a problem with this method, just wish I had more freezer space then I would buy monthly.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • ravylesley
    ravylesley Posts: 1,105
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Right I've had the calculator out and done all my adding and subtracting and after checking the results on my fingers and toes I reckon I'm about ready to declare

*drum roll*

*unreasonable pause supposed to increase the suspense*:D

£280!!!!!!!!!!!

For once I've actually come in under budget

Lesleyxx
  • redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,002
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I would love to freeze milk, however dh just won't hear of it AT ALL!!!!

The main thing we constantly run out of is milk, and whenever I pop into the little, local somerfields to get some I spend at least £5-£10 when it should only have cost £2-£3.....

Does the milk go off any quicker once it has been defrosted? and have any of you had to convert a picky husband into doing it, or at least not moaning when you do it?

Mel x
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
  • mumzyof2
    mumzyof2 Posts: 3,343 Forumite
    redmel1621 wrote: »
    I would love to freeze milk, however dh just won't hear of it AT ALL!!!!

The main thing we constantly run out of is milk, and whenever I pop into the little, local somerfields to get some I spend at least £5-£10 when it should only have cost £2-£3.....

Does the milk go off any quicker once it has been defrosted? and have any of you had to convert a picky husband into doing it, or at least not moaning when you do it?

Mel x

This is why i love living on my own :) with my 2 cildren of course!

I found today FFoods milk is £1 for 4pints. where as my corner shop is 99p for 2pints!!
    Im thinking of buyin another freezer
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hope I'm not too early but can you put me down for £275 for February please Mrs M? I will declare on Thursday for this month but will definitely be under target.

Off to exercise the grey cells on University Challenge!

Have a good evening everyone.

Moniker
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Evening all

Thought I would pop by before I update the lists again :eek:

Got plenty done over the weekend....
    • batch of bolognaise -done in the remoska and the best one EVER
    • batch of chili -ditto
    • HM bread
    • chicken n sweetcorn soup -enough for 2 flasks for hubby
    Thats all been wedged in the freezer... I went down to the freezer and the stores earlier and came back up with a carrier of stuff -it looked like I had been shopping :rotfl:
    So I have the stuff out to make the pasta bake for tomorrows dinner and Im concocting some spinach n goats cheese soup too -using the big box of frozen spinach that was taking up room in the freezer ;)
    Dinner tonight was sausage casserole and yorkshire pudding.. hubby has loads of the casserole that was left for his flask tomorrow:D

oooh and I also made some flapjacks in the remoska -but I sponed the mix into foils so they were a bit more sensible on the old cals :A :rotfl:

So that was all done in the remoska..I have had it now about 7 months and still the cooker has only been on twice in that time and that was down to hubby :j
    I also managed to get the spare room sorted -we are collapsing the spare bed down so I can put up my 2 tables in the middle of the room -It get loads of sun -so Im going to be starting my seeds off in there soon :T

right enough waffle - I will get on and update the list :D
    have a great evening all
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • sharronej
    sharronej Posts: 578
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well I have my big February shop arriving tomorrow morning and then tomorrow night I'm off to Farmfoods for the fruit and veg. I have hopefully got everything I need being delivered/picked up this week so I shouldn't run out of anything other than fresh veg which I've left myself an emergency fund of ten pounds a week.

On Sunday I'm hoping to go to a meat market and will spend twenty pounds on bacon (huge packets, this will give me enough for four months) which I'm going to count as individual five pounds over the next few months, I'm buying so many to justify the petrol to get there and I don't need anything else! I'm determined to come in on target this month, the family credit have just reduced my payments by nearly thirty five pounds a week so money is going to be even tighter in the future plus one of my mums (I work as a childminder) is pregnant so she will leave in early summer which will cost me another £170 per month - i'll be requesting food parcels soon :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • MrsMcw-Can I ask how you do the spag sauce and chilli in Remoska? Do you brown first etc? How long etc etc....sorry...really need to start using it more. I have bought a huge carton of value mushrooms...could I do soup in there, or would that be better in the SC or pan?

Also....can you put me down for £200 for Feb and I spend £95 in Jan....yayy!!

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts