VAT free on building extensions?

Just wondering if anyone can help me on this.

From reading previous threads, I understand new build properties are exempt from VAT.

Does anyone know if extensions to an existing property would be classified as a new build?

The reason I am asking primarily concerns grants for loft insulation. I know there are grants available, but I was told I do not qualify for an insulation grant because I am not upgrading existing insulation, but instead creating a new bulding which would need to comply with current building regs.
Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!

Comments

• N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    I think VAT free is on newbuilds, not extensions
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • psy
    psy Posts: 35 Forumite
    Thanks guys for the replies.

Boohbah - thanks for the link. I attempted to read this last week, but got too confused(!), so I e-mailed Customs & Excise for further info. They're meant to get back within 10 days, so I'll post if they give any feedback.
  • amd
    amd Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, used to do book-keeping for a building contractor!  

To confirm:

VAT is re-claimable on NEW BUILD (ie complete new house), and not on extensions or refurbishings.   It is paid up front and then re-claimed through the VAT system (quartely returns - you need to be registered for VAT)

However, the question of a grant is entirely a separate issue.   I personally can't see a way round it if building control insist you install the insulation on completion of the building work.  If they didn't,  how old would the new area need to be to qualify?  

Perhaps you could use the forum to ask about the cheapest insulation methods and prices.   I have an interest as I'm seeing an architect this week to begin work on an extension!    Maybe we should have a 'cheapest building materials' section!
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
    (Spike Milligan)
  • N9eav
    I paid a lot of contractors cash and saved the vat anyway.
    e.g roof £525 saving for cash. Cash for scaffolding, shopped about for my supplies, played one off against the other. cash tool hire. I saved loads... but spent it on something else ;)
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • Gosh , I have never heard of people paying cash to building people to save money..what an original idea, you must be the first person to do that..thanks for the money saving tip :)
    The Early bird may catch the worm ...but its the second mouse that gets all the cheese!
  • psy
    psy Posts: 35 Forumite
    Update:

The official reply from H.M. Customs & Excise:

"I can confirm that the builder will charge you VAT on the extension and you will be unable to reclaim any of the VAT back. The DIY house builders scheme only applies if you are constructing a new qualifying dwelling.

The only circumstance the builder could supply work zero rated is if your property is a listed building and the works carried out qualified as an approved alteration."

Worth a try anyway. Thanks for all your advice.
  • N9eav
    Gosh , I have never heard of people paying cash to building people to save money..what an original idea, you must be the first person to do that..thanks for the money saving tip  :)
    Yes very funny. You will be surprised at how many reputable tradesmen will NOT do cash anymore. I guess it's getting harder to cook the books
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure