PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Ches
    Ches Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    Only spent £1.90p on tea and a slice of cake at a craft fair and that came out of my personal spending budget not the grocery one so really another NSD again for me. Think I may have to join a challenge for the personal spending as that has already bust the budget and I still have 3 weeks to go.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I think I will have to make some twinks as every body seems to be amking them and saying how good they are,,,,,,,, but no good for weightwatchers as you say will freeze them
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• Flylady_Flower
    Flylady_Flower Posts: 2,855
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    ***Put your feet up ith some boiled lemonade, sounds funny but my mum swears by it and even if it doesn't work, its lovely and you get to put your feet up.
    On the tight week front, now you can be really inventive to get through and you know you can do it. What we all need is free foods from nature but I expect you know more than me hon
    Love hugs and cuddles to you (don't know how to get them funny little ones you all use:rotfl: And don't know why my bit has come out in the middle of your bit.) God I'n rubbish:rotfl: ****

Thanks HWGA, still feeling bleugh but haven't done a thing all day exept lay on the sofa - managed to watch the motor racing and doctor who again between sleeps :D
    Didn't go to sisters as I would have just been sweating in a corner passing on my germs so just sent DD & DS with my Mum (sister lives in Aylesford, Kent) - aparently they had a great time and even got to swim (she has one of those 12' pools) when the sun came out as it was really warm then!
    Sent hubby out with £5 to get me some cold & flu capsules but didn't get any change ;) , but might get him to bring some lemonade home with him, as he's just had to pop out. we should be fine until Friday, it's just if he has to go any distance for work - it was Wales last week - as they don't get given money for diesel, just paid 'radius' in their wages, but that's not until friday week, as it is a week in hand, so will have to be quite ingenious I think (we budget £60 a week for this so should be fine - comes to something when our diesel budget is nearly the same as our food budget :mad: )
    Anyway, I will update once he lets me know what he spent. Hope everyone's having a good weekend. x
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • perrywinkle
    perrywinkle Posts: 224
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi everyone :hello:

Just a quickie to update my signature. Stocked up on Lidl bread flour (amongst other things) and also managed at last to get some fresh yeast - thank you Mr T - the baker in the store I went to said that (in Scotland) if the bakers use fresh yeast in the store or the bakers shop etc then they are legally supposed to give a small amount (approx 50g) to anyone who asks and not charge for this - not sure if this is true but he was very obliging. He also said that in some of their other branches it was more likely that they did not bake from scratch in store but just finished off products and therefore did not have fresh yeast as only the larger stores has enough space for a full bakery.

HTH
    Perrywinkle
  • Hi, I have been run off my feet and have only just put down the final amount in the June grocery challenge - I nearly made it!

Please will you put me down for £300 for July. Thanks.
  • SAV3R
    SAV3R Posts: 222 Forumite
    Hiya I'vegot some strawberries I froze will they be ok in this recipe
    HWGA x

Yes, the original recipe said you can use frozen berries, although I haven't tried yet, it says to cook for 4-5 mins longer. I have frozen fruit to use later in the year, so that we may have these all year round.
  • SAV3R
    Re strawberry muffins - can i make them using slightly ok quite abit squidgy raspberries?

I have used fruit when it is borderline to eat, just check carefully and discard any you wouldn't eat anyway. If I have used fruit like this I only keep what we will eat that day or the next, the rest I freeze. HTH
  • Herewegoagain
    Herewegoagain Posts: 2,370
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    SAV3R wrote: »
    Yes, the original recipe said you can use frozen berries, although I haven't tried yet, it says to cook for 4-5 mins longer. I have frozen fruit to use later in the year, so that we may have these all year round.

Thanks Sav3r,
    all info gratefully recieved:rotfl: :rotfl:
    Also got rasberries which I should think was also ok but got loads of gooseberries what about them, if yes would you treat them in the same way as the strawberries or would have to sweeten and cook them up 1st
    Sorry to be a pain, but if you don't ask you don't know.:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Thanks again :A
    HWGA xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • SAV3R
    Herewegoagain - Haven't tried Gooseberries, no one else in our house will eat them. As the muffins already have sugar in, adding more may make them too sweet. However, have never eaten gooseberries without them being stewed with sugar. Maybe mix with another fruit to take away the sharpness? Sorry, can't really help.

PS Just searched for gooseberry muffins and found this;

http://eatdrinklive.typepad.com/eat_drink_live/2007/06/always_a_gooseb.html

HTH
  • tq16
    tq16 Posts: 233 Forumite
    Have struggled to keep up with posts this month, only half way through so far-apologies. Been clearing out the cupboards and trying to plan meals around what we have-have found 2 bags of oatbran, and have no idea what to do with it? any ideas? don't want to waste it, but also don't want it to just sit in cupboard for months. Thank you. Will try and catch up on rest of posts now :-)
    (Family of 5: 2 adults & 3 children aged 7yrs, 4yrs, and 18months)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure