Heating

Hi all, I'm buying a house that has old storage heaters , it has 2 in living room one at bottom of stairs one at top and one in each bedroom (2) , would I be better getting connected to gas mains and installing gch while the house is empty or just carryon till heaters break down etc?

Comments

• If you can afford to get gas heating fitted it would be better to do it when the house is unoccupied (but make sure the house is secure - boilers and pipe are prime theft targets from empty houses).

If you can't afford the whole job you could consider getting all the underfloor radiator pipes put in, capped off and air pressure tested now, for the boiler and rads to be fitted later.

While the ground floor is up put in underfloor insulation, insulate the loft, and consider cavity wall insulation if the house doesn't have it.

Your storage heaters could still be working in 20 years time.

There may be grants to help with the cost of gas connection and insulation, but they usually require you to have owned the house for a year before applying. Try the Energy Saving Trust website.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Mickyjd wrote: »
    ......... would I be better getting connected to gas mains and installing gch while the house is empty or just carryon till heaters break down etc?

Better in what way? :)

Financially you would of course be better to do nothing!! :D

Comfort wise? Depends on your lifestyle.

It would probably add value to your house.
  • J_B wrote: »
    Financially you would of course be better to do nothing!!

Not necessarily. Adding gas central heating is one improvement that is likely to add value to the house above what it costs, and is likely to give lower running costs than electricity.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • I'm still in 2 minds what to do, also has an immerser boiler behind the chimney breast in living room, could do without the cost of getting gch, I'm also only home 2days a week at moment.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Have you found out how much it would cost to have gas connected yet? That figure might just answer your question for you.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Going to phone the morra, there's gas outside house so hoping not too expensive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure