Someone keeps keying my car every few weeks!!!

Comments

• facade
    facade Posts: 6,966
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    clue87 wrote: »

Once the CCTV is in place I hope my poor car gets left alone.:(

Unfortunately, you can't use CCTV to film into the street. :(

If you do it, it is voyeurism (which doesn't mean what you think) if The Council do it (with a sign every 5 miles ) it is "[STRIKE]Revenue gathering[/STRIKE] Crime Detection"
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 11 March 2017 at 9:52AM
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/libertycentral/2010/aug/31/householders-cctv-public-highway-film
    The DPA contains an exemption for domestic use, however, so a householder who has a camera on their property for their own personal use would not be covered by the DPA even if the camera overlooks the street or other public areas near their home. This exemption also applies to recreational use, eg by using a mobile phone or camcorder.

Doesn't however mean your neighbours won't get upset with it.

FYI, I have cctv overlooking my street, mounted on the back of my garage.
    Started with a small grey dome camera connected to a DVR, had this for a year and nobody noticed, then when I swapped it for a white dome camera (which happened to have better nigh vision) I had a few !!!!!! comments from the neighbours, but "not a single ***k was given that day".
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Try a notice in front of your house " CCTV in use" No need to actually have cctv
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 11 March 2017 at 10:15AM
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    Try a notice in front of your house " CCTV in use" No need to actually have cctv

Personally at this stage i'd be more interested in finding out who it was, seeing as the car is already screwed.

It sounds like it's already going to cost more to repair than going through the insurance, in which case there would likely be a courtesy car which would likely get damaged too.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Nasqueron wrote: »

I can't recommend it but I would love to hide out and catch the person and key them in return and see how they like it (as in, key THEM, not their car) but that would be illegal and we have to sit behind the system that will protect the criminal (do note I respect the legal system and fully respect the police who are tied by the CPS and probably are as frustrated as anyone else that criminals get pathetic slap on the wrist punishments) - you can't even realistically sue the person if you catch them and expect to get any money from them

Ballaclavas or ski masks work wonders in this case!
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    missile wrote: »
    If yours is the only car being targeted, someone has a grudge against you.
    Install a quality dash cam with parking mode.

Dash cam only faces forwards (or back) and the parking mode is about bumps, I can't imagine a key on the paintwork would trigger it anyway
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Dash cam only faces forwards (or back) and the parking mode is about bumps, I can't imagine a key on the paintwork would trigger it anyway

Not true:
    One can point the camera(s) in whatever direction you choose.
    Some cameras, e.g. Thinkware F770 and mini 0806 can be set to record 24/7
    The OP said the vandal is keying the rear of his Corsa. Thus, a wide angle rear facing camera set to record 24/7 in Parking Mode would catch his approach, in the act and leaving.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Get yourself a Blackvue DR650S 2 channel dashcam. I got one in my car. So peace of mind. As well as front and rear dashcam, you can have it fitted with the battery pack for parking mode.

Anyone walks within a few feet of your car and it starts recording, it's also bump activated but the motion activation will be the one for you. Really clear images too. Don't get Halfords to fit it as they don't know how to fit the parking mode battery, go to a blackvue registered dealer.

You can even connect your dashcam to your home wifi (my wifi reaches the drive) and I can watch my dashcam live from my phone.

:cool:
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 12 March 2017 at 11:32AM
    missile wrote: »
    Not true:
    One can point the camera(s) in whatever direction you choose.
    Some cameras, e.g. Thinkware F770 and mini 0806 can be set to record 24/7
    The OP said the vandal is keying the rear of his Corsa. Thus, a wide angle rear facing camera set to record 24/7 in Parking Mode would catch his approach, in the act and leaving.

The camera still only points forwards i.e. the way the lens is facing. Recording someone approaching doesn't prove they committed the crime - if the camera sees them approach, something happens, they leave, it's still not proof. They could simply say they had noticed the scratches and were looking at them to report them the next morning.

If you read the OP properly he states "towards the rear" - you might be mixing that up with the fact the rear window was also scratched. I was assuming on the panel between the rear side window and the rear of the car (where the petrol cap can be).

You'd need to mount the camera probably between the front seats and point out at an angle and hope it catches them doing it. In addition, it happens at night, dash cams are not the best for night vision and if the person has a hood up or cap you wouldn't see them anyway. In addition, you'd need a massive data card - my mobius isn't the most fancy but at 1080p it's about 500mb per 5 minute clip so you'd need to have it recording all the time and never overwriting the clip unless you were going out every couple of hours to see if was scratched and grabbing the clip - around 1gb per 10 minutes or 6gb per hour. 12 hours or so from say 7pm - 7am is 72gb. On top of that, it will drain the car battery constantly. Your original post talked about a parking mode which was what I was picking up on, the g-shock sensors wouldn't be triggered by small scratches
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    If you read the OP properly he states "towards the rear" - you might be mixing that up with the fact the rear window was also scratched. I was assuming on the panel between the rear side window and the rear of the car (where the petrol cap can be).

I offered my comment to aid the OP. You appear to have no constructive comment and clearly want to argue black is white.

As I said, one can point the camera in any direction. Dash cameras have a wide angle. OP could easily site the camera(s) to observe whatever area of his vehicle is being targeted.

I read a post from another owner who has a similar issue with vandalism. To provide complete 360 coverage all round his vehicle, he installed 4 off cameras.

Your arithmetic is wrong and "Parking Mode" does not = record continuously at 1080P. Quality dash cams (like those I mentioned), do record very good images at night and provide several options for "Parking Mode". The mini0806 offers Parking Mode motion detection and the F770 offers Parking Mode time lapse and auto super night vision. Neither camera would "drain a battery within 12 hours". Both have sensors to prevent over discharge of the battery.

As docmatt said, his Blackvue offers Parking Mode motion detection and he uses a dedicated back up battery pack.

This may help you understand the options available on better quality dash cams > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-3KngkXn20
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport