PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    Morning:D just milk needed today, no pay yet, moving in two weeks so the freezer is being emptied, there seems to be so much in it though, does anyone know if I don't get round to using the frozen pastry jusroll, will I be able to take it to the new house with me and re-freeze it? It is not as if I can make pieswith it as I can't freeze them because I need to empty it not fill it up again:D
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
  • Phoolgrrrl
    Phoolgrrrl Posts: 685 Forumite
    Hi everyone,

I made 2 yog cakes and 16 yog buns last night cuz had 6 yogs bought on bogof going out of date - they were diet and yuck! How long can I keep the cakes for as the use by date on yog is now up? Bit confused. They are yum tho! sent OH to work with one doubt any will come back.
  • mouche
    mouche Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    OH had the day off yesterday - I asked him to pop down to the butcher and ask if they do chicken mince (since we can't have red meat and we do love our mince). They don't do it but they do all kinds of marinated chicken and OH came back with 3 packs for £5. Not planned for obviously!! When I...ahem...objected, he said he'd pay for them from his pocket money which seems a bit unfair and won't really give a true picture of how much we're spending on food will it? So I've given him the money and hopefully we can last till the 14th on what we have at home. I *think* we have enough veg and we certainly have enough chicken, but might need to top up on fruit.
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ £102,500 (07/11/2019)
    2019 Challenges: Make £300 a month: £9.71/£300 (January)
  • cookinmummy
    cookinmummy Posts: 4,245 Forumite
    OrkneyStar wrote: »
    Well he said they were already on order so don't know if my complaining helped or not lol
    I LOVE the Tesco in Perth just off the A9-make a point of stopping off there on our travels.

They are extending it at the mo - making it even bigger!

Oh dear - it's a little sad to be excited.........:o
  • egon
    egon Posts: 439 Forumite
    Morning all,

We now have been back from Germany for 2 days. All the shopping for the next 2 weeks has been done too. Tesco delivery was £91.43, Lidl was £16.65 and Morrisons (for the few bits Lidl didn't have) was £8.62. So in total I have spend £116.70. There is so much there, that I will not have to go cupboard shopping for at least 2 month! If I can hold out that long!
    Only fruit and veg to get over the next few weeks.

I will be making twinks hobnobs in a mo.

Oh, can someone please direct me to the cheesy biscuits?

Also, I haven't done as much shopping in Germany as I thought. Just have to tally it up when I get a minute......
    My brother has given me lots of chocolate for free (He is working for storck, who are making merci and tofiffee (sp) etc.) This should last us until christmas, when we go back over!

I am now trying to catch up with as many pages as possible until ten. Then I have to do something in the house!

Take care

Egon
    I wish Germany had a website like moneysavingexpert!
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Morning all - just thought I'd log on quickly before I go out and potter in the Garden as it's such a lovely day for a change.:j

Just wanted to mention that Netto's have BOGOF on Kellogs 750g Cornflakes and they have a Free Swim Voucher on them, £2.19 and a free Swim.:T

Also, someone mentioned about how expensive Potatoes are now, picked up a 10KG Sack in Morrisons for £2.99, said on the bag that they are "Selected Seconds", opened the bag now and they look fine to me and also, there are some real big whoppers in there so shall keep those for Jacket Potatoes.:D

The kids loved the Cheesy Biscuits in their Lunchboxes so thanks to who posted the recipe.;)

Have a good day everyone - off to talk to the Plants & Veg in the Garden.:rolleyes:
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Morning all

Ok so my NSDs are over..managed 4 in a row -so can't complain and i have to confess that what i just fetched wasn't strictly "needed" -not yet anyway :p

picked up:-
    • 2 cucumbers -which have dropped to 33c each :T ..we can get through 3 a week no problem..so i will be glad when the ones in the garden start producing
    • 500g pack of chicken breast -whoopsed to €2 -there are 3 but each one will do me and hubby a stirfry:D
    • 2X2 packs of goats cheese rolls with basil -only if hubby asks its "herbs" as he doesn't like basil -but adores this ;) :rotfl: they are €1.99 a pack
    • 2 kilo bag of sensible sized jackets -which makes them go further €1.49
    ahhh now i have no explanation for the following apart from - i like them :p
    • 2x 1kilo fresh apricots @ €1.49
    • a big bucket of kraut salat @1.39 -its normally €1.99 :T
    So i need to add €12.70 to my total :D

Well i know we have rubber chicken on here but i think rubber meal plans are being invented.. I have to keep crossing things off as we have other meals left over to use :T Again -last night hubby was in about 7pm ans so instead of having the pasta dish i was going to make using the hm chicken n sweetcorn soup and the cream mix from the quiche he had 1 of those baguettes.... and he has taken 1 of those instead of quiche and salad for lunch.
    So i have frozen the 2 pieces of quiche and will make the pasta dish later so we can just put it in the oven when we get back from LIDL tonight :D
    so from this weeks meal plan i have 3 meals not used and we haven't used anything extra in place :j

Hubby has just rung from work to say he has created a stir at work again :rolleyes: .. His baguette was that big i cut it into 3 -so he got 1 piece out for his NAFFI break and has all the men drooling ..they are used to him taking HM bread but apparently they reckon this smells even better -the fresh salad won't be helping:rotfl: and are trying to convince him to take orders :eek:

We have to go to LIDL tonight for the muesli, fizzy water(we may as well have it on drip at the moment -mind its 76 indoor in the shade at 11am:eek: )oh and the cheddar if they have it..its not going to be pretty bill but will save us a lot in the long run on the cheese..
    right i will get off
    have a great day everyone :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Lucifa73
    Lucifa73 Posts: 7,726 Forumite
    lingojingo wrote: »
    Hi everyone, not been on for a few days, so haven't told you how the giant jaffa cake went.
    Followed various bits of advice from several of you :A - used the juice from the tin instead of cold water to make the jelly - allowed the jelly to almost set in the jug before putting it into the flan, so it didn't end up soggy - added a little cream to the melted chocolate in an attempt to stop it going brittle - spread out the chocolate on a plate covered in cling film first, rather than put it on the jelly when it was hot.
    Result - flan didn't get too soggy:j, taste pronounced fantastic "just like real jaffa cakes":D, jelly didn't melt under the chocolate:j, but the chocolate was still quite hard and impossible to cut without shattering:mad: . When I make it again (already requested by DS:D) I'll try making chocolate icing instead.

Try melting butter into the chocolate - the extra fat content will make it less likely to crack
    26.2.19/14.1.19: T MC 3629.26/3629.26 : VM 0% 1050/13876.59 : W 0% 100/1485 = 4409.26/18990.85 =25.17%
    28.1.19/28.1.19 Hubs 0% £400/£2,977 =13.44%
    SPC 2019 #073

• carolt2
    carolt2 Posts: 854 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    carolt2 wrote: »
    Hi there, I know you did not ask for the recipe but i thought you might like to try and make them. May work out cheaper for you.

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY ANGELNIKKI? On the MAY GROCERY CHALLENGE THREAD.

Cheesy Biscuits - Makes about 20 Ritz sized biscuits

50g SR flour
    25g butter/marge
    80g grated mature cheddar
    splash of milk

Mix all ingredients together and knead a little until you have a ball
    Roll out to about 2 1/2mm and cut into stars (or whatever shape you fancy)
    Bake at 200c/Gas6 for about 8-10 minutes until they start to colour.
    They rise really nicely and crisp up a bit as they cool.

The original recipe said to add 20g Parmesan and a pinch cayenne pepper too but they’re just as yummy without. You could use an egg yolk instead of the milk to bind, which will crisp up the biscuits a bit.

EGON, here they are.
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
  • perrywinkle
    perrywinkle Posts: 224 Forumite
    scotsaver wrote: »
    Morning all - just thought I'd log on quickly before I go out and potter in the Garden as it's such a lovely day for a change.:j

Just wanted to mention that Netto's have BOGOF on Kellogs 750g Cornflakes and they have a Free Swim Voucher on them, £2.19 and a free Swim.:T

Also, someone mentioned about how expensive Potatoes are now, picked up a 10KG Sack in Morrisons for £2.99, said on the bag that they are "Selected Seconds", opened the bag now and they look fine to me and also, there are some real big whoppers in there so shall keep those for Jacket Potatoes.:D

The kids loved the Cheesy Biscuits in their Lunchboxes so thanks to who posted the recipe.;)

Have a good day everyone - off to talk to the Plants & Veg in the Garden.:rolleyes:
    Hi Scotsaver,
    I always buy these potatoes from Mr M and although they have gone up in price (used to be 2.49) - hasn't everything! they are always great and although you don't know the type of potatoes you are buying I've always found them to be really good and great value.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure