Bringing a product to market

dranzer01
dranzer01 Posts: 427
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 13 June 2019 at 1:01PM in Small biz MoneySaving
I am looking to bring a product to market, however it has recently occured to me that there may be some regulations which I would need to abide by.

Not so much the product itself, but the packaging.... For example, on certain packages, I have seen the letter/s 'C' / 'CE' / I've seen the recycling logo / 'E'...

I would like to know who I speak to/get in contact with, to find out exactly what acronyms or logos I would require on my packaging as I am finding it slightly difficult figuring out what they would be called/under.

Thanks,

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    you are asking about: regulations for product labels uk

the clue is in the words... why are you unable to use google?

https://www.gov.uk/product-labelling-the-law
  • Snow_Dog
    Snow_Dog Posts: 690
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It depends on your product that you want to bring to market.

CE marking, for example on the back of your television. In laymans terms the TV would have gone through a series of tests along the lines of:-

Is the product safe, ie does it have big air vents that someone can stick a finger in and electrocute themselves, if you pull the plug out the back is there voltage remaining on the appliance pins. Other tests will be whether the TV affects the operation of other equipment nearby, so does one of its internal circuits play havoc with the neighbours radio. (And the other way round, does other equipment affect the TV).

A completely different field would be childs toys - again, strict tests to make sure no small bits fall off and cause a choking hazard.

As you havent specified what the product is, nobody can guess what standards apply so best bet is to google "what standards apply to XXX" or something along those lines. Some things you can self certify, but you should document everything. Some things you need to get an external test house to do.

And in case anyone starts on that CE marking wont be needed after october (Certificate European) then I suspect that close to 100% of the standards will still continue to be applicable but I thing they will be called something like UKxx, as far as im aware many of the CE standards originate from the old BS (British standards) anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure