PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

sweet potatoes

Does anyone know how to make nice chips out of sweet potatoes? There is a restaurant near me that does gorgeous ones, but when ever I try at home they don't work and taste burnt and soggy.

Or any other reciepes that use sweet potatoes?

Comments

• r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Hi Skye!

I made these once, but not with great success. I parboiled for 5 mins, roughed up in a colander, and placed on a baking try with some oil. I put it in the oven for about 45 minutes and they weren't crispy at all!!! I ended up having to eat them after the rest of my dinner as they took ages to crisp.

I don't think my oil had been hot enough when I put them in the baking tray.

give it a go and let us know how you get on.

r.mac
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • skye
    skye Posts: 286 Forumite
    I have been putting them in a deep fat fryer (but I haven't mastered normal chips yet either), but I think I will try them in the oven next time.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Found this recipe. Haven't tried it yet - if you do, let me know how you get on, please.

Title: Oven Fried Sweet Potatoes
    Categories:
    Yield: 7 Servings

4 md Sweet potatoes; peeled and
    .. sliced 1/4" thick
    1 tb Olive oil
    1/4 ts Salt
    1/4 ts Pepper
    Vegetable cooking spray
    1 tb Finely chopped fresh
    .. parsley
    1 ts Grated orange rind
    1 Clove garlic; minced

Combine potatoes, oil, salt and pepper, coating
    well. Bake on a large sprayed cookie sheet at
    400° for 30 minutes, until tender, turning
    halfway through.

Combine remaining ingredients; stir well and
    sprinkle over potatoes.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • Pollen
    Pollen Posts: 171 Forumite
    Some recipes here and here & cooking tips here although if you go to home page suggest that recipes may increase your bi-ceps :D
  • Swattie
    Swattie Posts: 729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Skye,

Why dont you just ask the chef at the restaurant - he/she may give you the recipe.
  • skye
    skye Posts: 286 Forumite
    Swattie wrote:
    Skye,

Why dont you just ask the chef at the restaurant - he/she may give you the recipe.

I will do, just I haven't been for a while ( I am trying to save money to pay off debts)

And I will try that receipe it looks quite tasty.
  • firrybabe
    firrybabe Posts: 122 Forumite
    I've made sweet potato wedges before and they've come out quite nice. Tis a trial and error process really.

I scrub the potato, cut it down and then boil the wedges until they are nearly cooked.

I then put them on a baking tray, drizzle some olive oil and herbs over them and leave them to bake on gas mark 6 for about 10/15 minutes but I generally check on them so they don't burn sometimes they are just nice in under 10 mins, other times it needs a bit longer.

Good luck !
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    I know telling kids that a particular food is "Very good for you" is probably the quickest way of putting them off it so keep it to yourself but be aware that Sweet Potatoes really are one of the "Super foods" for nutritional value.
    Absolutely stuffed full of beta carotene. Vitamin A and the level of vitamin C is also very good.
    You can see for yourself the complete list
    Sweet Potato Nutritional value
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Not the same thing at all but a friend recently sent me this:-

Ingredients:

€ 6 medium Sweet potatoes
    € 1/2 cup Brown sugar
    € 1/4 cup butter -- in bits
    € 1/4 cup Bourbon

Directions:

Bake potatoes in 350F oven until tender. Let cool, peel and cut into slices 1/2 in thick.

Butter 9x13 pan and place potatoes in it. Cover with butter and sugar, and pour bourbon over.

Bake at 350F for 30-45 minutes. Let sit 15 minutes before serving.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Bargain_Rzl
    Bargain_Rzl Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    I can't exactly suggest recipes but I have a few ideas.

My mum used to use a combination of sweet potatoes and normal potatoes for the roasties on Christmas Day.

There's a gorgeous lunch takeaway place on the edge of Borough Market in London which bakes sweet potatoes like normal jacket potatoes, and serves them on a bed of rocket and stuffed with a filling of feta cheese, olives etc. It's delicious but I can only afford it occasionally!
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family