Housing benefit can I claim??? Ex partners tenancy we shared with our children

Relationship has broken down our council house is in my ex name though the council have him the tenancy because we are a family (exchange from his 1bed council flat) can I claim housing benefit council tax benefit tho my name is not on tenancy??
I'm concerned I could be evicted or moved!

Comments

• Louise82x wrote: »
    Relationship has broken down our council house is in my ex name though the council have him the tenancy because we are a family (exchange from his 1bed council flat) can I claim housing benefit council tax benefit tho my name is not on tenancy??
    I'm concerned I could be evicted or moved! But I'm being irrational surely as why would they evict me and the children? They'd need to house us again by making us homeless!

Help advice much needed!! Thank you
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    Louise82x wrote: »
    Louise82x wrote: »
    I'm concerned I could be evicted or moved! But I'm being irrational surely as why would they evict me and the children? They'd need to house us again by making us homeless!

Help advice much needed!! Thank you

Hi Louise82
    If your relationship has broken down, does this mean that your ex has left?
    If so, then I would advise you to inform your housing officer asap and ask for you to take over the tenancy. You are right that you can only be eligible for HB/CTB if you are the tenant. You should do this quickly before you run up bills.
    I take it that you have the children living with you -in which case you should have a case for staying where you are.
    Hope this helps
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure