PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter II

Comments

• moggitymog
    moggitymog Posts: 532 Forumite
    Just wanted to join in, I am planning on moving my 2 seater sofa into the study this winter as it's the snuggliest room in the house, this will hopefully safe on heating
  • EvieSaver
    EvieSaver Posts: 133 Forumite
    anguk wrote: »
    I often find it's cheaper to make curtains from duvet covers (bought on sale) than it is to buy ready made ones or buy the material. I made my kitchen blinds and some bedroom curtains from this king size duvet I got in Wilkinsons 50% off sale.
    /QUOTE]

Just wanted to say thanks for this idea about buying cheap duvets for the material. Sometimes it's the really obvious things that miss me by!
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    anguk wrote: »
    I often find it's cheaper to make curtains from duvet covers (bought on sale) than it is to buy ready made ones or buy the material. I made my kitchen blinds and some bedroom curtains from this king size duvet I got in Wilkinsons 50% off sale.
    http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/duvet-covers/patchwork-duvet-set-pink-kingsize/invt/0294668/?htxt=PsAGyAqy%2FDSGVBgOHPBfATKVETOKIWHcwqoICuDrG%2FxTcDPfxIrYzUvEu76RzzM6wutKTeo9AOCB%0AtDs76aYYKg%3D%3D

Hi - great minds think alike - I'm scouring fleabay at the mo looking for the bargain of the century for material for DS room

Helen

PS thanks for the link - going to investigate that too
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • lizzyb1812
    lizzyb1812 Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    edited 25 June 2011 at 6:27PM
    I agree, brilliant idea about the silver foil car thingies. I read somewhere that if you put stuff like this behind the radiators, it's important to get a snug fit to the wall. Something about if there is a gap between the foil and the wall the heat can escape in the gap and not be as effectively reflected back into the room. You can use blu tack for this if you don't want to put double-sided sticky tape on the wall.

I've got a knocked-through dining and living room in an old terraced house. I'm thinking about hanging curtains across the arch between the 2 former rooms to keep the living room end smaller and warmer. The sides of the arch project about 50cm into each side of the room so the curtains could be neatly tucked completely away when not required. Has anyone done/seen this, and does it work. It would make it feel cosier and is an alternative to moving my living room into the spare bedroom!

Lizzy
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    lizzyb1812 wrote: »
    I agree, brilliant idea about the silver foil car thingies. I read somewhere that if you put stuff like this behind the radiators, it's important to get a snug fit to the wall. Something about if there is a gap between the foil and the wall the heat can escape in the gap and not be as effectively reflected back into the room. You can use blu tack for this if you don't want to put double-sided sticky tape on the wall.

I've got a knocked-through dining and living room in an old terraced house. I'm thinking about hanging curtains across the arch between the 2 former rooms to keep the living room end smaller and warmer. The sides of the arch project about 50cm into each side of the room so the curtains could be neatly tucked completely away when not required. Has anyone done/seen this, and does it work. It would make it feel cosier and is an alternative to moving my living room into the spare bedroom!

Lizzy

Sounds like a great idea to me and I'd be doing exactly the same if I was you :T

Helen
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite

Lizzy

Hiya, yes Lizzy I did this when we couldn't afford to have the heating fixed and I only had one small gas heater at one end of the room.

It makes an incredible difference, to the point that if I had the money I would put the wall back in!

The only tip I would give you is to do one large curtain as with two, one always seems to be in the thoroughfare between the two rooms and gets in the way.

You could use two curtains and push them away together at the same side.
  • muffin_man_7
    muffin_man_7 Posts: 784
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite

Lizzy

lizzy i use a full curtain in the doorway for living room to hall and kitchen it does make the room warmer i have door but prefere to put the curtains up in winter although the way things are going might be sooner as the only heating we have is the g ch and its 8 years since council put it in but doesn't keep rooms warm enough in winter unless i keep it on low most of the day so by replanning winter stuff by end sept i'm hoping it will help

I put the foil windsreen coverat the back of living room rad about 3or 4 yrs ago i used drawing pins and it does seem to help i used it cos i couldn't get the proper one at the time and it also stopped clothes catching on the wall in winterwhen i had to get them dry over night hth
    2nd purse challenge no040£0 Sealed pot challenge ???? £2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
  • candie_gill
    candie_gill Posts: 272 Forumite
    Hi Candie,

My sister has successfully knitted hot water bottle covers and they are lovely and toasty. :) It's a long fat rectangle which is stitched into a bag shape, and drawn together at the top with a drawstring. It looks good too. :)

KB xx

oooooh they sound lovely, im hoping to learn to knit one day :/ Just doesn't seem very MSE to make my own things anymore, the cost of materials is sooo expensive unless you reuse old or buy from carboot/charity shops! :rotfl:
    Mummy of a beautiful little boy and fanatical about christmas :D:xmassmile:snow_laug:santa2:
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,635
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Morning all

Well do to funding and the fact I seem to have loads of June/July birthdays my winter prep has taken a backseat for the minute.

I am however planning on digging through things this coming week to find but things like old duvets/blankets etc.

I have also decided too that I will heat downstairs this winter as its where our living room/kitchen/dining room and bathroom is so fingers crossed that should save us some money as I doubt I will keep the bathroom radiator on - so its only the dining room and living room ones that will be on - and then when it gets to bedtime it should be a case of opening lounge door to let heat leak upstairs or hoping the water tank will let enough heat escape to have warmed upstairs.

Made my list in my notebook that I will carry with me to make sure I know what Ive brought and need to buy still.

Have finally put nets up in my bedroom which means we'll be moving out of there soon so holly will get her own bedroom finally but means she wont have the added heat of us sleeping in her bedroom so need to get on washing her sleepsuits etc and seeing what still fits her!

Apart from that my daughter has discovered a love of lentil soup which is nice. Hoping I'll be able to make a start on freezer savings and store cupboard shelves and items this month
    HBA1C 46 - 4/04/2023
    Declutter challenge for Jan - 20 /100
    Frugal Living challenge 2024 - £0 / £2200
    Savings for 2024 - so far £0.00
  • oooooh they sound lovely, im hoping to learn to knit one day :/ Just doesn't seem very MSE to make my own things anymore, the cost of materials is sooo expensive unless you reuse old or buy from carboot/charity shops! :rotfl:

thats so true Candie_gill! i went through a phase of making my own birthday cards etc, until I discovered the discount big brand card shops! cards for 59p or sometimes less... snapped those up thank you very much! :T its often more for crafty stuff than it is to buy it ready made, which is really sad to say.

hope everyone's having a fairly lazy sunday xx
    Every act of kindness, no matter how small, isn’t wasted ❤️
    "It’ll be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright - it’s not the end"
    Every pound we spend is a vote for the sort of world we want

2021 wins - 1
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts