PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    orchid-96 wrote: »
    I am thinking of planting some seeds, but only have a small garden (well decking area lol) is there anything edible that I can plant in pots? (other than herbs as dh did do some of those last year)

I've grown tomatoes, cucumber, courgettes (needs a very big pot), peppers, french beans and kidney beans, spring onions, cut-and-come-again lettuce (in a small trough) and potatoes in buckets and grobags; I'm going to try potatoes in my old kitchen waste bin this year, so the answer is you can grow anything in pots and containers. ;)

I like elizabunny's idea of tumbling toms in hanging baskets too :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • mummyyof5
    mummyyof5 Posts: 1,839
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Another NSD,Im getting good at these,took DD1 out for a meal tonight,its her birthday on the 15th but OH goes away tomorrow so we had to go early,anyhow OH paid:T
    Called at MRTs on the way home so OH can take some bits away with him ,he wanted to spend £50.00 to get the money off petrol voucher so asked me to make it up,I ended up getting a present for DS1s birthday in March as I couldnt think of anything we needed food wise;);););)OH was so shocked at one time I would have bought loads of stuff for no reason,.

Thank you for this thread it keeps me on the right track money-wise.
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • elly2
    elly2 Posts: 556
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    evening all well my NSD didnt happen as my dad couldnt get me any milk as he was busy, went into iceland and spent £4.50 on bread and milk so not bad at all really i am more than half way through the week and have spent £6.70 of my £60 budget so am feeling very pleased with myself :T . Tea tonight was mac cheese and garlic bread and i had everything in that i neeeded to make it and there is enough left for a meal for DD2 one day next week so will be freezing it. I am sort of just working my way through the freezer contents on a daily bases but really need to sort out some sort of meal plan :o x
  • LOUBY28
    LOUBY28 Posts: 225 Forumite
    orchid-96 wrote: »
    Just popped on here to ask a bit of advice, I made some banana muffins yesterday and although they taste ok, they didn't rise very well and sort of just 'spread out' into each other.....Does anyone have any ideas on why this might happen? I weighed out the dry ingredients, then added the wet ingredients (including melted butter) and then the mashed banana..could I have overstirred it? or does this make no sense? Just thought I would ask as I would like to try some chocolate ones next..

I made some today, and they rose quite high, never done them before and the recepie was in cups..so was a bit worried as always weighed before....this is the receipe I used:
    2½ cups self-raising flour (600 ml)
    ¾ cup brown sugar (80ml)
    1 cup milk (240 ml)
    1 egg
    2 tablespoons margarine
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 ripe bananas

Combine milk, egg, margarine, vanilla and bananas, and blend in a mixing jug.
    Place flour and sugar in a large bowl. Mix in milk mixture.
    Pour mixture into a greased muffin tray.
    Bake for 20-25 minutes at 180°C.
  • Thanks guys for all the tip.

I would estimate I now have about £65 for the remainder of the month after taking off nappies and toiletries, thanks for the tip regarding baby wipes as I have lots of cotton wool I can use!

I have a couple of tins of soup and a chicken left and that's it, but I know the chicken will spread over a few days and the soup can be for the evening, quite nice with these snowy nights.

Thanks again guys, you really have helped me x x x x
  • Ok ... am ashamed to say went over Grocery budget today :o....

Due to promising to cook Dad & Stepmum special Jamie O recipe of sizzling beef, and have to do this before he sets off home (abroad) in March ... I had promised to do it in the next few weeks when I could get some Rump steak from the butchers...

Well he text last night (talk about hint for this dinner ;))... Sainsburys has Rump steak (about 550grams) for a £5 at the moment. So I went there this morning and with a few other bits added another £11.17 to my grocery total.

This means I'm currently over by £9.48 - but I have no need to buy anything else now. I'm fully stocked for my own meals over the next few weeks until pay day (25th)...

I do feel a bit guilty but I know this is a one off before dad deserts me for sunnier shores (who can blame him!;)) and teaches me a lesson about bragging about this lovely recipe I found!! :rolleyes:
    LBM - 17th November 2008 - better late than never :rolleyes:
    Challenges - 2009 - Reduce CC to £1k by December
    June - Food £86/£130 * Petrol £50/£80 * Weekly allowance * £80/£160
  • jintyb
    jintyb Posts: 1,758
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hello! This is my first month attempting the GC. I didnt do the month saving receipts but I guesstimated £150 for Feb. This is for 2 adults ( all meals including packed lunches) and a dog and cat. So far Im £2.06 over but Ive done my meal planning and shop for next week and my month ends next Thurs(19th) I will only need bread and milk next week, about £3, so overspend @£5.00. Does that sound ok? Im a bit miffed at myself for going over, but Im pleased that Ive focussed more on prices and not buying unnecessarily. Any advice/encouragement appreciated!

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Spent €6.49 on pork chops this morning for dinner to-night, forgot to take anything out of freezer so decided to bite the bullit...I was a meal or two short of meat/fish etc for dinners to end of month, so will work out ok I think...there will be a chop over so will freeze that and use it with something else to make a stir fry for OH and me some day next week when we are the only ones here.

Good luck everybody

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • jintyb
    jintyb Posts: 1,758
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    LittleEmms wrote: »
    Ok ... am ashamed to say went over Grocery budget today :o....

Due to promising to cook Dad & Stepmum special Jamie O recipe of sizzling beef, and have to do this before he sets off home (abroad) in March ... I had promised to do it in the next few weeks when I could get some Rump steak from the butchers...

Well he text last night (talk about hint for this dinner ;))... Sainsburys has Rump steak (about 550grams) for a £5 at the moment. So I went there this morning and with a few other bits added another £11.17 to my grocery total.

This means I'm currently over by £9.48 - but I have no need to buy anything else now. I'm fully stocked for my own meals over the next few weeks until pay day (25th)...

I do feel a bit guilty but I know this is a one off before dad deserts me for sunnier shores (who can blame him!;)) and teaches me a lesson about bragging about this lovely recipe I found!! :rolleyes:
    Its a lovely thing you're doing for your Dad, its something that cant be measured in money, enjoy your meal with him, sounds like he will really appreciate your efforts! ( plus its much cheaper than eatingout):j

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    What tins and packets do you have in the cupboard?
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure