PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Jazer :hello:

No one can really tell you how much you should be spending as everyone's circumstances are different. My budget is £375 for 2 adults and a toddler, others with the same family size are budgetting £200, so it just depends on what you are actualy spending now and how much you want to try and reduce it over time.

I think the best thing to do for the first month of the Grocery Challenge is to not set a budget (or just guesstimate) but just keep all your receipts for your shopping. Then at the end of the month you will have a good idea of what you are spending and will be able to set a suitable target for next month. ;)

If you do it this way you'll probably find you spend less than normal anyway because you'll be more aware of it. HTH and good luck with your first month. :)

Nikki
    x
    :A
  • winniepooh
    winniepooh Posts: 943 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Money savers,

Can I be cheeky and join the challenge please. I've been lurking around these boards for months picking up recipes and tips.

Anyway there are 3 mouths to feed (2 adults & 1 Child....oh and the cat) We are spending roughly about £400 per month and I really want to cut down.

Hubby makes to difficult because he likes to have meat every night but i'm going to trawl through the recipe pages and give most the recipes a go.

I would like to start off trying at £350 this month. I know its not alot but its my first month.

I do my shopping online now so I hope that will help keep a track on what I'm buying.
    I'm trying so hard to be thrifty, but it doesn't come naturally. You lot are an inspiration!
    JUST LOVES THE O/S BOARD
  • Anitaj73
    Anitaj73 Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome to even more Newbies :hello:
    May GC £350/ spent so far

family life = 2 adults DS x3 & DD1 + dog :)
  • jackk_2
    jackk_2 Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    i feel so grown up today... i bought home contents insurance with all the tips martin has give and cash back sites and it came to £67 the year for up to £5000... i feel so grown up i think thats the most grown thing ive done (apart from my dd :D but i was 17 when i had her ) i dont know why i didnt think of it before but its nice to know im covered... anyhooooo hope your days been good im having a takeaway tonight but its not coming out of my gc oh is paying for it bless him :D xxx
    p.s just sort the last part of my finances all i gotta do is pay them... look at a big girl ive be come :D xxx

Hey there, excellent that you've gotten contents insurance, it's a huge peace of mind. But if god forbid anything was to happen, £5,000 does'nt seem alot. Imagine you had to replace everything in your home, could you do it for £5000?

I hope you don't mind me saying :confused: .

Jackie x
  • jackiegibbo
    jackiegibbo Posts: 603 Forumite
    Options
    £220 for me this month please :D:D

and good luck to everyone with their challenges,i havent finished adding up junes yet but i do know ive failed badly:rolleyes:
  • mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    oooh a new shiny thread!! my july challenge doesn't start until Monday, but angelnikki please will you put me down for £50 a week? gonna try and cut back a fiver a week, and will see how i go :eek: thanks also angelnikki for putting the recipes all in one place, its a really good idea :T

i'll post my total on the June challenge but in case you don't spot it, can you put my total spend at £225.92 out of £275 for june cos i've added all my weekly spends up to make it into a month ;)

welcome to all the newbies, and good luck everyone xx
  • Nessa56
    Nessa56 Posts: 946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    icon1.gif
    :hello: Hi all

Can I declare £165.00 for June please.

I am going to go again for £180.00 for July also.

Am going to try harder this month though, I found it very difficult to keep up with myself and I know, I just know I can spend much less than that :o:o

Thanks

v
    x
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE 6 - MEMBER NUMBER 086 Special Star from Sue :staradmin :T:T
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    :hello: Good afternoon everybody:hello:

I thought I would have an NSD today then I remembered :o I had to go to specsavers. I got 2 pairs of bi-focals for £ 58:41p :j I was flabbergasted, the frames cost £85 and £75, I thought it was going to be a fortune :j Its the first time being on benefits and I got so much off:beer: DH got a pair as well but they were free:j plus he got new lenses put in his old glasses for free:j . It was brilliant. We had fish and chips for lunch which was £6 will have to take that off my total:eek: .

Thanks angelnikki :A for putting me down for £200 hope it will last the month

Thanks savingfor travel will pop down to get milk as I am running out but have enough til monday then pop to MrTs:j :exclamati
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• Jazer
    Jazer Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks dsljfreeman and angelnikki for your suggestions.

Well, I've added up the receipts I've got for May and I spent £650 :o so I may struggle with £300. I think I'll aim for £500 for July and see how I get on

Jazer
  • craftingqueen_2
    Options
    Hi another newbie here can i join. We are a family of 7, 2 adults 5 children and 1 dog. My july food budget starts from the 1st, we have a budget of £400 for food. Family are brilliant with what i make for dinners, they are not fussy thank goodness lol. Hubby does all the cake making to keep us going all week.

CQ
    Proud to be No. 61 in the DMP mutual support group.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure