Challenging Council Rent!

2»

Comments

• Hmm71
    Hmm71 Posts: 479 Forumite
    edited 22 November 2012 at 9:03AM
    That is a very high rent for a council property!:eek: I pay far less than that, renting privately, for a three bedroomed place with a garden and garage.

Don't you love the way other posters have said "she can just move" as if everyone has a month's rent, a month's deposit and moving costs sitting in the bank?

I'd suggest your friend contacts her local branch of SHELTER and asks them for advice on challenging the rent. They aren't just there for the homeless, they can advise on all aspects of housing.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Can you take photos of it, the entrance to the room and where it is in the house, and send that to the council explaining that it can't be used as a potential bedroom without conforming to fire regulations - like making a new lower window.

Pictures will help them understand what the room is like.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hmm71 wrote: »
    Don't you love the way other posters have said "she can just move" as if everyone has a month's rent, a month's deposit and moving costs sitting in the bank?

Council can provide a 'paper bond'. If the rent is that different any costs of moving would be made back the first month.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • The rent is ridiculous in comparison to others in the area. She is grateful for the home she has but is also stuck in a position where come April she will be in a difficult position, based on the house being classed as a four bed. Also, trying to swap out is not easy as potential swappers view the property (those that don't baulk at the rent) and see that the '4th bedroom' is in fact a dining room. As mentioned going private is too risky in terms of stability for her and her children, she wants to provide a stable home environment.

The council have been round to inspect the house, having done so prior to her moving in, yet have still, somehow come to this conclusion. Thank you for suggesting Shelter, I will let her know and hopefully they will be able to help or offer guidance/direction.

Is the 'paper bond' linked to finding a property to rent on the private market?

Thanks again for all your replies and helpful suggestions.

SFB
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    hello spursfatboy

From next year the rules regarding housing benefits and rent are changing. One of the changes is that housing benefit will be paid on the number of bedrooms that a person needs for their family unit. For instance a family with one child would only need a two bed roomed property. If the rent for a two bed property is for £100 per week and you are renting a three bed property at £125 per week then you will be paid Housing Benefit based on £100 per week and you will need to pay the extra £25 per week from your income.

I thought that for HB you had to pay an additional 14% for an extra bedroom, rather than the difference between the 2 bed and the 3 bed rent.

"The cut will be a fixed percentage of the Housing Benefit eligible rent. The Government has said that this will be set at 14% for one extra bedroom and 25% for two or more extra bedrooms." National Housing Federation
  • Dunroamin wrote: »
    I thought that for HB you had to pay an additional 14% for an extra bedroom, rather than the difference between the 2 bed and the 3 bed rent.

"The cut will be a fixed percentage of the Housing Benefit eligible rent. The Government has said that this will be set at 14% for one extra bedroom and 25% for two or more extra bedrooms." National Housing Federation

That is correct. I'm sure the CAB rep will clarify the earlier post.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure